Author Topic: SR Cymru  (Read 37774 times)

Chris N

SR Cymru
« on: 05 December, 2008, 09:15:36 am »
Fixed SR Cymru.

good man !

Don't forget to get the SR Cymru badge

What's the badge like then?  Can't find any ref to it on AUK, though I know Ross Jeal is responsible for it now, but he doesn't seem to have made it across.

Re: SR Cymru
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2008, 09:21:03 am »
What's the badge like then? 
Look you boyo! It's a dragon, taking a leek, in a bus shelter.  :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2008, 10:06:16 am »
Nothing so evocative, I'm afraid ;)

One to treasure for its rarity and for what it stands, rather than for any inherent charm...

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2008, 11:30:05 am »
Thanks MV.  Just got to pick the rides now - Bryan Chapman and Brevet Cymru, obviously.  Not sure which 200/300 will do.  Elenith would be nice for the 300 (but I'm not sure it's Welsh enough) and I might ride one of the Cambrian perms from Rhayader for the 200.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2008, 11:32:41 am »
Thanks MV.  Just got to pick the rides now - Bryan Chapman and Brevet Cymru, obviously.  Not sure which 200/300 will do.  Elenith would be nice for the 300 (but I'm not sure it's Welsh enough) and I might ride one of the Cambrian perms from Rhayader for the 200.

The Elenith used to count.  Dunno if it still does.

The Peacock & Kites 300 is the other obvious one.  Covers the Elenith territory but starts in Cardiff.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2008, 12:19:11 pm »

The Elenith used to count.  Dunno if it still does.

The Peacock & Kites 300 is the other obvious one.  Covers the Elenith territory but starts in Cardiff.

I hope the Elenith does count.  I don't see Peacock & Kites in the calendar

I was gonna do Elenith+Chapman for sure and I would like the badge
"Down with the British" 200 possibly- this is a "classic" I haven't done
And the "Irish Mail" 400 coz I'm a sucker for loverly pictures in Arrivee

frere yacker

« Reply #6 on: 05 December, 2008, 12:28:40 pm »
I'd fancy this as well.

I intend to do 200s and 300s from Cambrian series of permanents if this is of interest to anyone.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2008, 12:38:46 pm »
75% in Wales (distance or altitude) is the qualifying criteria.

So The Elenith doesn't count. And neither does my Heart of Wales 300 (might have to see about moving the start further west as it's not much under 75%).

Irish Mail qualifies, but Offa's Dyke doesn't (so you're stuck with the BCM for the 600).

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 05 December, 2008, 01:01:52 pm »
Cheers John - does the Wrekin to Sea qualify?

I'd forgotten about the Irish Mail too - maybe 600/400/400/200 is the way to go.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #9 on: 05 December, 2008, 01:37:32 pm »
Cheers John - does the Wrekin to Sea qualify?

I'd forgotten about the Irish Mail too - maybe 600/400/400/200 is the way to go.

Wrekin 2 Sea = Heart of Wales now. Just a name change. Doesn't quite qualify on distance (210k in Wales) but probably would on altitude as the last 40k back through England-shire are virtually flat (no really they are :)).

EDIT. No. Doesn't quite qualify on altitude either. You'll just have to do the BC and Irish Mail 400s.

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 05 December, 2008, 02:20:37 pm »
Ah, marketing. ;D  After the climb to Dylife, anything would seem flat.

alan

« Reply #11 on: 05 December, 2008, 02:44:15 pm »
the climb to Dylife, .

have they installed an escalotor(sp) yet?

JohnHamilton

« Reply #12 on: 05 December, 2008, 05:20:18 pm »
Ah, marketing. ;D  After the climb to Dylife, anything would seem flat.

That'll be the same marketing that led me to describe the second loop of the Offas Dyke as not having any significant hills, somehow overlooking the 20% climb to the Panorama road, the 25% climb of the Old Horseshoe and the second climb of the Horseshoe (New this time) on the way back.  :o

I learnt from the master - Graham 'undulating' Mills. ;D

« Reply #13 on: 05 December, 2008, 07:45:10 pm »
The Heart of Wales may not count for a Welsh SR badge, but it does count as a very good ride. It's my favourite on the calendar. There are a few I haven't ridden, mostly in Scotland, but this is about the best 300 for scenery.
You can't really go wrong with any of U.N.Dulates rides. (As long as you don't mind a few hills)

I hope that he runs his 600 with the original route this year
(Subtle hint ;))

JohnHamilton

« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2008, 08:21:06 pm »
You can't really go wrong with any of U.N.Dulates rides. (As long as you don't mind a few hills)

No hills on my rides. Just undulations ;D

I hope that he runs his 600 with the original route this year
(Subtle hint ;))

How much is it worth? Do you want the original route (6AAA) or my attempt at a hilly version (haven't counted yet but at least 8AAA)?

At the moment you've got the choice of last years route (now 4AAA) or a slightly easier one (2.5AAA). Don't know if I'll get time to recce a third version (priority is something bigger for 2010) but you can always add in some extra hills of your own.

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2008, 05:55:13 pm »
... (priority is something bigger for 2010) ...

I'd just like to add that this (I picked up a bit of insider knowledge yesterday) sounds very interesting.

« Reply #16 on: 07 December, 2008, 09:25:37 pm »

How much is it worth? Do you want the original route (6AAA) or my attempt at a hilly version (haven't counted yet but at least 8AAA)?

Gotcha! ;D

8AAA if you can, but 6 shall suffice. If you're organising a really hard ride, might as well go the whole hog. It'll make me feel better if I can't manage it. ;) ;D

marcus

« Reply #17 on: 08 December, 2008, 05:56:14 pm »

Gotcha! ;D

8AAA if you can, but 6 shall suffice. If you're organising a really hard ride, might as well go the whole hog. It'll make me feel better if I can't manage it. ;) ;D

If the 'extreme' version of the Offa's Dyke 600 doesn't make it onto the calendar you could always try the Cambrian Series 6A - 600 km & 6.25 AAA points.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #18 on: 09 December, 2008, 08:34:20 pm »
I probably won't have time to check a 3rd variant but we'll see how it goes before the cut off date at the beginning of April. You could always have another go at the 600/200 double instead.

Counted some lots of contours last night. From the first loop alone I currently have 9500m & 6.75AAA. The target is 10,000m.

Bring a large sprocket. And some very good brakes.

daflloyd

« Reply #19 on: 10 December, 2008, 10:46:05 pm »
75% in Wales (distance or altitude) is the qualifying criteria.

So The Elenith doesn't count. And neither does my Heart of Wales 300 (might have to see about moving the start further west as it's not much under 75%).

Irish Mail qualifies, but Offa's Dyke doesn't (so you're stuck with the BCM for the 600).

Out of interest, what is the altitude %age for Offa's Dyke in Wales? - I reckoned the distance was 60+% in Wales, and as I recall, the vast majority of the pain was in Wales. So when I noticed that 75% of altitude counted I got a little excited as the 600 was my only non qualifier for SR Cymru last year.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #20 on: 11 December, 2008, 07:43:40 pm »
Out of interest, what is the altitude %age for Offa's Dyke in Wales? - I reckoned the distance was 60+% in Wales, and as I recall, the vast majority of the pain was in Wales. So when I noticed that 75% of altitude counted I got a little excited as the 600 was my only non qualifier for SR Cymru last year.

Well I'm not counting all those contours again, but a quick check on the profiles in Tracklogs gives me 62% by distance or 69% by altitude (and 12 border crossings). So not quite there.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #21 on: 11 December, 2008, 07:44:24 pm »
... (priority is something bigger for 2010) ...

I'd just like to add that this (I picked up a bit of insider knowledge yesterday) sounds very interesting.

Oh it will be...

daflloyd

« Reply #22 on: 11 December, 2008, 11:28:22 pm »
Thanks for the response on the Welsh %ages of the Offa's Dyke 600. 69% is agonisingly close - I'll get that badge one year..............

frere yacker

« Reply #23 on: 12 December, 2008, 10:03:07 am »
Is there an equivalent SR Ecosse?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 12 December, 2008, 10:41:40 am »
Is there an equivalent SR Ecosse?

I believe so but know nowt.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...