Author Topic: The Horsepower 200 & 100km  (Read 23719 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: The Horsepower 200 & 100km Saturday 9th March 2019
« Reply #25 on: 24 February, 2019, 04:56:29 pm »
It was a near-perfect spring day for cycling yesterday — in winter! — and I had a terrific day out riding the first route-check of the 200  :thumbsup:

Usual long-winded write-up with a few pictures here — you'll have to read the prose to get a couple of the photos — https://www.strava.com/activities/2172188637

Nothing much to report — a couple of notes for Tomsk to consider next week when the second route-check takes place and a slight tweak to the GPX.

Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

rob

« Reply #26 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:37:09 pm »
Is that a new bike ?

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:43:42 pm »
It was a near-perfect spring day for cycling yesterday — in winter! — and I had a terrific day out riding the first route-check of the 200  :thumbsup:

Usual long-winded write-up with a few pictures here — you'll have to read the prose to get a couple of the photos — https://www.strava.com/activities/2172188637

Nothing much to report — a couple of notes for Tomsk to consider next week when the second route-check takes place and a slight tweak to the GPX.

You have, of course, now cursed the event day with colder, wetter, windier weather.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #28 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:36:30 pm »
Is that a new bike ?

"New" — not exactly.  "New to me" — yes. 

An eBay-special 1987 Claud Butler with 27" wheels and delivered as a box of bits for the princely sum of £32, which I then built up into a 700c fixie-conversion with bits from the shed and several visits to Bicycle Ambulance for a rummage through theirs  :thumbsup:

I have a French frame in the shed, another eBay special, awaiting the same treatment for PBP  :)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #29 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:37:16 pm »
You have, of course, now cursed the event day with colder, wetter, windier weather.

Not my intent, not at all  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 24 February, 2019, 10:14:27 pm »
Thanks Wilkyboy - those road works and 'closures' [not generally applicable to bikes, thankfully], keep popping up around here ...

Helpers' Ride and Route Check next Saturday, 07:30 start.

100km all checked and ready to go, mailing riders this week.

« Reply #31 on: 26 February, 2019, 01:52:42 pm »
Thanks Wilkyboy - those road works and 'closures' [not generally applicable to bikes, thankfully], keep popping up around here ...

Helpers' Ride and Route Check next Saturday, 07:30 start.

100km all checked and ready to go, mailing riders this week.
:thumbsup:
I'll say it now so it's out there.....I'm more than happy to be dropped and make my own way round and hopefully catch up at food and watering stops. I suspect I am going to be painfully slow for all you folk with lots of miles in the legs.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #32 on: 26 February, 2019, 02:07:43 pm »
I'll say it now so it's out there.....I'm more than happy to be dropped and make my own way round and hopefully catch up at food and watering stops. I suspect I am going to be painfully slow for all you folk with lots of miles in the legs.

I remember riding this, several years ago when the model shop was still open, and you all dropped me after the turn and back into a headwind.  I did catch you all up, as you, Tippers, were having to fix a double-puncture with hands in gloves in bitter cold and driven sleet — I passed that particular grass verge and smiled as I did at the memory, given that it was +13°C at the time  :P ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #33 on: 26 February, 2019, 02:12:44 pm »
...given that it was +13°C at the time  :P ;D
I'm looking forward to a sunny ride of the 100+ECE tomorrow  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #34 on: 26 February, 2019, 02:29:49 pm »

I remember riding this, several years ago when the model shop was still open, and you all dropped me after the turn and back into a headwind.  I did catch you all up, as you, Tippers, were having to fix a double-puncture with hands in gloves in bitter cold and driven sleet — I passed that particular grass verge and smiled as I did at the memory, given that it was +13°C at the time  :P ;D
Yes, I remember that well! I still have the Pics from that ride and then the even a week later in the same spot. First one Sideways Snow the second one Bright BLue sky!

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #35 on: 26 February, 2019, 03:06:13 pm »

I think that's the coldest I've ever been in my life! One of my first Audax rides, and despite the weather conditions, for some reason I'm still coming back for more  ???

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #36 on: 26 February, 2019, 03:40:44 pm »
It was a near-perfect spring day for cycling yesterday — in winter! — and I had a terrific day out riding the first route-check of the 200  :thumbsup:

Usual long-winded write-up with a few pictures here — you'll have to read the prose to get a couple of the photos — https://www.strava.com/activities/2172188637

What we at for the total GPX distance now on the actual event? I have another silly ECE idea taking shape but would like to take advantage of any overdist, I think I made it 208 from your ridden track?
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #37 on: 26 February, 2019, 03:41:52 pm »
What we at for the total GPX distance now on the actual event? I have another silly ECE idea taking shape but would like to take advantage of any overdist, I think I made it 208 from your ridden track?

206 if you ride the Thaxted+B184 return.  208 if you ride the Gt Bardfield return.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #38 on: 26 February, 2019, 05:07:51 pm »

206 if you ride the Thaxted+B184 return.  208 if you ride the Gt Bardfield return.

Ah yes - I forgot about the options on return plus other sheltered (but a bit longer) routes.  I'll probably can the crazy idea of a 300 and just stick to the job at hand of the route check! :)
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #39 on: 27 February, 2019, 01:10:25 pm »
I am currently enjoying the inverse of a helpers’ ride sacrifice to the weather gods. Mr Garmin states that it’s 24C in the Newmarket Golden Lion pub garden, it is very sunny.  Must do this midweek daytime riding more often!!
(The group helpers’ ride looks like it will be doing the proper sacrifial offering on Saturday.)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #40 on: 27 February, 2019, 02:11:59 pm »
(The group helpers’ ride looks like it will be doing the proper sacrifial offering on Saturday.)

Shouldn’t be too bad, just a bit of precipitation late on ... perhaps

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #41 on: 27 February, 2019, 06:09:59 pm »
See you all Saturday 2nd March for the helpers ride at 7:30 somewhere in Dunmow. Where are we meeting?

Duplicating this post on the MEMWNS thread to minimize confusion/risk of cock ups.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 28 February, 2019, 09:25:48 am »
See you all Saturday 2nd March for the helpers ride at 7:30 somewhere in Dunmow. Where are we meeting?

Duplicating this post on the MEMWNS thread to minimize confusion/risk of cock ups.

:thumbsup: 7:30 from my house. Get here early for tea and toast. There will be the opportunity to use our new cycle-parking in the front garden, though I'm not sure 7 bikes will all fit in!

Elevenses at Chilli and Chives, Lavenham, lunch at Tyrrell's Restaurant, Snetterton Circuit, puddings and maybe a beer at the Golden Lion, Newmarket, Angel and Harp for the Arrivee - ie the usual Club Run Tour de Eateries. We took just over 11 hours last year. If it's going to be as windy as predicted, it will likely be over 12 this time, we'll see ...

« Reply #43 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:39:06 am »
If it's going to be as windy as predicted, it will likely be over 12 this time, we'll see ...

I hadn't clocked the wind situation. So it's forecast to get stronger through the day on Saturday, and as a south westerly that's not the best scenario!

I had to abort a ride this morning due to tyre deflation issues. There's a small slit in the sidewall that I think is the cause, and the tyre is now flat again. I'm hoping a replacement tyre will arrive tomorrow and all will be fine, otherwise I'll be on a more dependable bike.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 28 February, 2019, 07:56:28 pm »
Email with information and routesheet gone out to 100km riders this evening. Updated documents on AUKweb.

200km stuff going out early next week.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #45 on: 01 March, 2019, 08:16:08 am »

:thumbsup: 7:30 from my house. Get here early for tea and toast. There will be the opportunity to use our new cycle-parking in the front garden, though I'm not sure 7 bikes will all fit in!

Elevenses at Chilli and Chives, Lavenham, lunch at Tyrrell's Restaurant, Snetterton Circuit, puddings and maybe a beer at the Golden Lion, Newmarket, Angel and Harp for the Arrivee - ie the usual Club Run Tour de Eateries. We took just over 11 hours last year. If it's going to be as windy as predicted, it will likely be over 12 this time, we'll see ...

Not sure Linda will make it tomorrow, so just me now I’m afraid!
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #46 on: 01 March, 2019, 06:50:25 pm »

See you just after 7.  Weather looking OK for tomorrow...  :thumbsup:

I have a easy route in to 'spoons avoiding having to head over that rough cut through more than once... (1st R after RBT then 1st left onto the road at the back)
Regards,

Joergen

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #47 on: 01 March, 2019, 08:41:44 pm »
See you around 7:00 tomorrow at Toms, Garmin #1 has the GPS files on it. On the winter rigged track fixed machine - see if it is suitable for the arrow (no bottle cages, but with saddle bag).

Expecting some rain and a lot of wind - at least the rain should blow through fairly quickly!

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #48 on: 02 March, 2019, 12:59:57 pm »
Just met up with route checkers on the helpers ride Tomsk, KFC, Tippers, Jibers, Josser and Psyclist at the Chilli and Chives in Lavenham, who must lunching at the Snertterton circuit by now. Conversation progressed as to whom who had missed their turn on the front, and who will be doing the donkey work when they face the head wind. Sensibly I turned right at Great Green and pootled back home. I'm conserving my energy for the official Horsepower event next weekend.

(Ride strategy and confessions of a straggler: rather tuck in than muck in, why graft when you can draft, more shirker than worker, its all about hanging on than banging on).
CCS - Setting the Standards

Chris S

« Reply #49 on: 02 March, 2019, 02:55:48 pm »
I've just ordered a new waterproof. You can thank me for a nice warm sunny day next week. I also accept beer tokens.