Author Topic: Sore Achilles - Treatments ?  (Read 925 times)

Sore Achilles - Treatments ?
« on: 13 August, 2013, 08:15:37 pm »
I have recently competed a long cycle ride and as a result of that ride I am suffering from
swollen and sore Achilles on both ankles.

I have cycled regularly for more than 20 years, commuting most days (about 20 miles) and riding weekends on club runs of about 100 miles. I am used to a fair amount of weekly miles.

I suspect the recent ride has caused this inflammation as I guess it was a little excessive.
I have nt suffered this problem ever before.

I would like any advice about the best way to treat sore, inflamed aching Achilles please.

Thank you.

Re: Sore Achilles - Treatments ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:51:20 pm »
Regular icing, massage with cooling gel, calf stretches, and raising and lowering on the edge of a stair.

Doing all that at the moment. Still hurts first thing, and stretches feel ridiculously tight, but I'm fine riding now.

Jakob

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2013, 12:09:26 am »
Immediate treatment is rest, ice and elevation...and then you should figure out what's causing it.
I struggled badly with Plantar Fasciitis at one point and did all the stretching, etc, to very little avail...until I realized that it was the tightness in my calf muscles that was causing it. (I thought the PF was causing the calf issue).

A good alternative relief is using kinesio-tape.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2013, 02:53:47 pm »
Sounds very much like tendonitis. Inflamation of the tissue sheath around the achilles tendon.
Associated with dehydration on long rides, drying the lubricant around tendon - and inflaming with continued use.  Most prevalent in older blokes doing endurance audax type rides in warmer weather.  Often involved with tight calves and suchlike.
If you carry on using it in this state - risk of a tear in the stickinig sheath, and adhesion - cue bigger problems.  I know from experience.
Rest, hydrate, cool. Try glucosamine additives, or mussel extract.  Use diclofenic but not in order to get back on bike - save that till its completely clear.
When you start riding again - increase pre ride loading of isotonics.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird