Author Topic: York Rally 2017  (Read 14395 times)

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
Re: York Rally 2017
« Reply #75 on: 26 June, 2017, 05:11:30 pm »
The bastard bike thieves have visited again. At least 2
Taken last night, from very close to where we are camped.

Grahams Bob Jackson was found in York today apparently  :thumbsup:

Excellent!

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #76 on: 26 June, 2017, 05:47:42 pm »
Back home now, a bit sun singed but grateful for the not-a-headwind today. Good to meet some friendly faces after too long without an outing, and get to meet a few more. Quite a bit of cake etc. may have passed my lips.
Thanks to Arellcat for allowing yet another Older Person into the Quest for a trial fit. I didn't buy much either - a chainring which Spa fetched in for me when I asked. The beer was good, by Brew York, and I enjoyed a few coffees from the Drinkstop ladies.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #77 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:29:46 pm »
The beer was indeed rather palatable, crossing otters with pandas and viking DNA.  The juxtaposition of the last with the copious quantities of spam-based edibles sold from the van outside had me imitating the Norse chorus of a certain Python song...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #78 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:38:01 pm »
Nice to meet up with everyone again, hopefully see some of you again at Mildenhall. Jayjay; Pauline says thanks for the beers.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #79 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:57:50 pm »
We're home Bonnie asleep enjoyed ourselves seeing people from last year and meeting new folk too. Joined the smaller family ride to the station cafe, not far but Bonnie was excellent the leader wasn't sure about a dog being on the ride at first but when we got back he said she did very well  ;D

Good to hear that one of the bikes has been found :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #80 on: 27 June, 2017, 01:59:29 pm »
That was a great weekend, marred only by sleep deprivation, mild sunburn on my forehead, and having spoke too soon about my Achilles being fine after the FNRttC: It started to ache on Sunday afternoon, and I sensibly took to opportunity to decamp to the CrinklyDen and avoid further small-tent crouching.  It *seems* to be responding to Vitamin I and general keeping off my feet.  Not sure what that's really about, but I suspect it's more trudging around the field than cycling related.

I was particularly impressed by the large number of lightweight tents this year.  Also by the large number of earwigs, I don't think we've had those before at York.

Also impressive was the efficiency with which the organisers kept the ladies' clean and well stocked with loo roll and (luxury I approve of) paper towels.  Don't think these things aren't noticed and appreciated!

The absence of Alpkit was notable, but I suspect they've been rather busy elsewhere.

For those who joined my in puzzling over the box of "Brompton Clip: £1"s at the Spa Cycles stall (as a Brompton owner, it seemed like a really good deal, but I couldn't work out what it was supposed to clip), the mystery was solved outside the toilets on Sunday evening:

(click to show/hide)

Here's a blurry photo of my nocturnal stalker, performing an abrupt U-turn when she got a whiff of Bonnie:

« Reply #81 on: 27 June, 2017, 03:29:02 pm »

I was particularly impressed by the large number of lightweight tents this year.  Also by the large number of earwigs, I don't think we've had those before at York.

Are you sure that they don't just travel with you? We just had spiders and a couple of beetles.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #82 on: 27 June, 2017, 03:32:59 pm »

Are you sure that they don't just travel with you? We just had spiders and a couple of beetles.

Last time I used that tent it was dark and covered in about a million French snails, so logically that's what I would have brought with me.  Maybe they evolved into earwigs while it was in storage?

« Reply #83 on: 27 June, 2017, 03:36:19 pm »

Last time I used that tent it was dark and covered in about a million French snails, so logically that's what I would have brought with me.  Maybe they evolved into earwigs while it was in storage?
Maybe you just attract Earwigs. Bill in the ALC either attracts them or has them as pets, I'm unsure of which. It's probably a myffic gift.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #84 on: 27 June, 2017, 05:05:11 pm »
Ah... this has been and gone and I didn't even realize.  :facepalm:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #85 on: 27 June, 2017, 05:06:35 pm »

Maybe you just attract Earwigs. Bill in the ALC either attracts them or has them as pets, I'm unsure of which. It's probably a myffic gift.
Is that a gift from Miffy?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #86 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:56:10 pm »
Another Great weekend at the York cycle show :) First Cycle-camping trip in a while. Did not quite feel up-to doing the full distance there and back so ended up getting a lift half-way on the outbound journey and riding the remaining 28 miles to York from Thorne. Had not used my cycle-camping gear for a while but managed to fit it all in the Milan SL OK. Went though Selby and then picked up the NCN cycle route which partly follows an old rail path. I have ridden this route many times before and enjoyed it however I had not ridden it within the last 3-4 years and sadly the surface of much of the path has been ruined by tree roots making it almost unusable. Had dinner at the on-site catering, chips were fantastic. Met up with a bunch of my mates, Brian R, Neil "Hotta" hood and Ian Squires. Not so many BHPC riders there this year due to some unfortunate date clashes with Cyclevision and Shennington 24hr.
Saturday was a good day, nice weather, not scorching hot like some previous weeks. Lots of interest in the bikes on the stand, Ian Squires had taken a selection including "Bream" (Geoff Bird's HPV Heaven T6) and a Rans Screamer tandem which we had a short ride on around the campsite. Neil Hood Had his awesome Restretto there and I was able to sit in it, it is surprisingly comfortable :) Later an Awesome Scottish lady turned up with a very shiny red Quest. There were quite a few very young riders there in skinsuits who took interest in the bikes :) Barney Harle turned up with his double deck tandem and he took me for a ride :) (of about 200 yards :( ). Rob Hague and Carol Hague were there as usual along with some trikes, Rob sounding as happy as always. The Highlight of course was the evening pub ride, sadly let down somewhat this year by the "Slecht wegdek door boomwortels", I really hope it is fixed soon, I doubt the dutch would ever let a cycle-path get into that condition. John Turvey was there who has been going to the York show for as long as I can remember, riding a very well used Greenspeed trike. I had some scampi and chips and Becky Taylor had a Pizza. The table had a big umbrella in the middle and a gust of wind tried to remove it and the others were impressed by my catching skills. Going back to the campsite I took the road, could not face the tree roots yet again, most of the others though took on the tree roots so I had to ride solo. For the ride back to Grimsby I took the A19 instead of the railpath due to the tree roots. Managed to reach the Humber Bridge in 1 hour, 30 mins (26mph avg speed, with camping gear on-board).

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #87 on: 04 July, 2017, 05:19:58 am »
Yes, the double-decker 'bent "tandem" was rather amazing!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #88 on: 09 July, 2017, 04:56:06 pm »
Did the Kim get a 158 home or some other sort of railway carriage(s) with  engine(s) underneath?

(I found 158s awkward for bikes compared to 156's due to narrow enclosedness.

NB in Northern Ireland the DMUs have only fairly recently gone back to underfloor engines: the previous 3 types (Class 70, 80, Castle class (which were bits of Class 70s and one class 80 reused in new Mark 3/class150 bodyshells etc) all had a big engine in the front half of one of  the 3 carriages whereas BR always seems to have used underfloor engines (other it seems than the prototype  British Rail Class 210 which was abandoned in favour of class 150s).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #89 on: 09 July, 2017, 05:26:27 pm »
Did the Kim get a 158 home or some other sort of railway carriage(s) with  engine(s) underneath?

(I found 158s awkward for bikes compared to 156's due to narrow enclosedness.

From Hull?  I wasn't really paying that much attention, but it was a Northern service and wasn't a Pacer, so if Wikipedia's page about their rolling stock is accurate I assume that's what it was.

My bike went in fine along with andrewc's.  Mcshroom then sneaked on and tetrised his alongside reasonably neatly, and then the couple with the Bike Friday tandem turned up and filled any remaining space in the vestibule with a confusing tangle of cranks and handlebars.  The train manager, having bravely fought his way past the hen party, didn't seem to care.

My train from York back to middle earth was a 220 Voyager.  The less said about getting bikes on those the better, but I've had plenty of practice and it was uncrowded enough not to cause any problems.

« Reply #90 on: 09 July, 2017, 06:19:06 pm »
From Hull?  I wasn't really paying that much attention, but it was a Northern service and wasn't a Pacer, so if Wikipedia's page about their rolling stock is accurate I assume that's what it was.

My bike went in fine along with andrewc's.  Mcshroom then sneaked on and tetrised his alongside reasonably neatly, and then the couple with the Bike Friday tandem turned up and filled any remaining space in the vestibule with a confusing tangle of cranks and handlebars.  .....
Hmm, that sounds a lot of bikes, from the pictures I can find it seems they may have removed the troublesome 'wall' or otherwise refurbished  158s. Which is good. :) 

EDIT and it seems some (Scotrail) 156s have got worse by gaining hanging bike spaces...