Author Topic: advice required of a tree type nature  (Read 2260 times)

advice required of a tree type nature
« on: 22 March, 2012, 05:52:11 pm »
righto,  a field next our house has a load of seedling ash tree's just starting to come up, thousands all over the place, now what I want to know is, is it best to prick them out and put them in plugs or should I try and get a fist full of soil like a root ball and put them in 2 or 3 inch pots, if I do nothing they will be grazed off when the stock is turned out, at the moment they're about an inch tall with 2 leaves,
any ideas.

Tail End Charlie

Re: advice required of a tree type nature
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2012, 09:32:17 pm »
I'd take a root ball up and ideally transplant them into ground. Failing that into pots. If there are loads why not do all three options? Then let us know which worked best?

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:32:28 pm »
Out of curiosity, what do you want them for?
You should have no problem pricking them out or potting them up, but as evidenced by their number they're generally considered to be a weed, but then if you've the space for a woodlot....
Not wanting to kill the romance but you can buy bare rooted trees, a couple of foot high and a couple of years old, from tree nurseries for pennies.

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2012, 02:13:24 pm »

ash, seasoned or green, makes a fire fit for a queen  :thumbsup:

I want to replace some trees that have been cut down and I thought doing it this way it would be pretty much self sustaining,
Ash grows quite quickly and I could always coppice an area in 3 or 4 years time

I did try last year but they all died off after about a month, maybe I should check out a few nurseries, see if they have any rejects,
after all they will only be used for fire wood. I did buy a load of reject 3ft conifers a while back for about 50p each, nothing wrong with them now, they're all about 30ft tall and make an excellent wind break ;D 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »
I understand from the park keepers I talk to when out with the dog that the ash and the sycamore are regarded as weeds.

I like ash trees. They have a tendency, when old, to rot from the inside which makes them great nesting sites for woodpeckers. That same tendency occasionally makes them shed branches without warning, and that makes them unattractive for councils because they might drop on unsuspecting members of the public.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:33:32 pm »
I can understand the opinion that they are weed trees by councils, they self set quite easy, there is one 4 acre field next to our house and half of it is covered in the seedlings. I think things like this should be put to good use, ash has a lot of uses it can make lovely furniture it has a very attractive grain, it's really good fire wood

« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2012, 11:04:20 am »
Just lift them as "bare root" seedlings and pot them up into 3" pots in multipurpose.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)