Author Topic: Hardcore lemonade  (Read 1181 times)

Hardcore lemonade
« on: 31 October, 2009, 01:15:04 am »
Quite, quite unbelievable...

Fentiman's row in USA

I was particularly taken with this quote:

Butch Asselin, the chief of Houlton police, had earlier explained the decision to ban the drink to minors.

"It wasn't so much that we were trying to give Fentimans a black eye," he said. "We just want to make parents aware it contains alcohol. I've never had it; it's probably very good, but their website says it can be used for mixed drinks."

Wonder what they're going to do about water (of the soda and tonic varieties) - after all plenty of people add that to whiskey...  ::-)
Abnormal for Norfolk

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Hardcore lemonade
« Reply #1 on: 31 October, 2009, 08:47:26 am »
If you want someone to plumb the depths of stupidity the USAians will usually oblige.

I hope Fentimans get loads of publicity from this. Thoroughly excellent stuff.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2009, 01:18:41 pm »
I hope Fentimans get loads of publicity from this. Thoroughly excellent stuff.

It sounds like they have:

On Wednesday this week, when the PR war broke out, a Fentimans spokeswoman told the Guardian its US arm had been "inundated" with inquires from people in 30 US states and parts of Canada asking where they could buy Fentimans lemonade.
Actually, it is rocket science.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2009, 03:18:09 pm »
If you want someone to plumb the depths of stupidity the USAians will usually oblige.

The Brits sometimes follow closely behind though.

If a unit of alcohol is 8g and this drink is 0.4%, 2 litres must be imbibed for any noticeable effect. Assuming 10% sugar (I have no idea but this is typical for soft drinks) I should be rather more concerned about the 200 grams of sugar.

« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2009, 03:27:58 pm »
I wonder if they will ban root beer two I mean it contains the word "beer" in its name and surely that's encouraging children to drink alcohol.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2009, 06:37:28 pm »
isn't there an abv below which a drink doesn't hang around long enough to have an effect? a brewer at charles wells told me this, and i've often repeated it, but i have no idea if it is true