Author Topic: My croix de fer commuter....  (Read 3436 times)

My croix de fer commuter....
« on: 06 August, 2013, 06:07:53 pm »
I wanted to start commuting to work to get fitter and save money  ::-) But ridding the 17 mile each way on my mountain bike was hard work so i treated myself to this

But try as i did i just couldn't get on with drop bars, it may have something to do with the beer belly and being brought up on mountain bikes, so as i was cleaning it ready to sell on i had the idea of trying on an old riser bar that was kicking around and it felt much better so que a bit of ebaying i ended up with this

Then on went some bar ends, mudguards and a brooks b17 and now she looks like this

Next on the list is a layback seat post, luggage and when funds allow hydraulic brakes.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: My croix de fer commuter....
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2013, 06:14:46 pm »
very nice, but for traffic you may want to push the controls in 1 or 2" either side and lop the bars down, and angle the bar ends down abit. I find that the old onza ski bends are great, and have them 'almost horizontal' and I find I can rest my hands along them, and get very 'aero' indeed.  I know what you mean about being brought up on mtbs. I still prefer the set up on my Orange to the drops on the Pearson. :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2013, 06:39:52 pm »
The drop bar will take some time for those who only ridden MTB in the past, much longer than a couple of weeks.

it should feel comfortable straight away, but I'm not sure why you went for a new CX bike and spend even more money when a cheaper flat bar hybrid does just the job for you.

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2013, 08:50:36 am »
The optimal top tube length of a bike with Drop bars and a bike with Flat bars is typically different for the same rider.

If you didn't get on with Drops but feel the bike is comfy with Flats you may have bought a bike with the wrong top tube length for Drops.

Looks nice in either case (but I prefer the original).

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2013, 10:25:26 pm »
Cheers i brought it second hand and as its a commuter its definitely a case of function over fashion so i'm not worried about spoiling its looks and i think i will try cutting the bars down a little.   

« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2013, 07:13:05 am »
If you didn't get on with Drops but feel the bike is comfy with Flats you may have bought a bike with the wrong top tube length for Drops.

This.

I ride a medium CdF with 54cm TT, but with flat bar, I need  a large CdF with a 56-57cm TT.