Author Topic: RIP Karl Malden  (Read 1328 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
RIP Karl Malden
« on: 01 July, 2009, 11:38:21 pm »
Dies at the age of 97
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
Re: RIP Karl Malden
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2009, 02:34:18 am »
A trouper.  His Oscar winning performance in Streetcar, and the nominated one for On the Waterfront are electrifying.

Malden came from the steelworks, and didn't forget.  His politics often informed his choice of work
Getting there...

ChrisO

« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2009, 06:12:49 am »
Gosh, another one shuffles off...

You're right about his acting in Streetcar and Waterfront.

I was even more impressed by it given that until then I had been used to seeing Malden in The Streets of San Francisco. Don't know if you had it in the UK but it was a weekly cop series made in the 70s and not exactly award-winning, so it was a revelation to see that he had been a serious actor.

Same with George Peppard - growing up watching him in the A Team and then seeing Breakfast At Tiffany's.

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2009, 08:21:23 am »
I really liked him. More used to him in the re-runs of The Streets of SF though, as ChrisO.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2009, 08:48:09 am »
I never really watched SoSF, but he must have been a very busy chap, as he seemed to pop up in just about every other film shown on TV.  Versatile and passionate, he could also turn in a low-key performance when it was needed.
Getting there...

Really Ancien

« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2009, 11:09:03 am »
He's the one who isn't Gene Hackman, or wasn't, as it is now. Am I right?

Damon.

Really Ancien

« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2009, 12:17:20 pm »
I can just imagine the casting though, get me Gene Hackman, or Karl Malden, whichever is cheaper.

Damon.

ChrisO

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2009, 12:54:52 pm »
I can just imagine the casting though, get me Gene Hackman, or Karl Malden, whichever is cheaper.

Damon.

Dunno...  Malden had been in his best movies and won an Oscar before Hackman was even around, and faded to television and advertising by the time Hackman became big.

« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2009, 02:42:15 pm »
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup: