Author Topic: The Scream  (Read 1649 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The Scream
« on: 22 February, 2012, 09:07:42 am »
It's going on sale today, apparently, one of four versions painted by Munch.

I was half-snoozing, half-listening to the radio this morning and the presenter read out something which I think was from one of today's papers, but I didn't hear which. Some bright spark had written a piece wondering about the mentality of anyone who wanted the "icon of urban stress and despair" hanging on their wall at home. I paraphrase:- "Just imagine it being the first thing you see on coming downstairs in the morning. In fact, it probably explains why it's being sold. Think of all the lovely things you can buy for the £80 million The Scream is expected to fetch. In fact, just think of the sheer beauty of the piece of blank wall you can admire where the painting used to be!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: The Scream
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:13:51 am »
Dunno Baggers. Didn't it get pinched from the museum (and 'recovered') in the last few years? I say 'recovered', because cynically, one can imagine they might have a copy to 'bring out' in it's place.

Given free rein, what particular painting would you want to hang on your wall?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:21:46 am »
Apparently this version has been in private hands since it was drawn (it's in pastels). It's the other versions that were nicked.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/feb/21/edvard-munch-the-scream-auction refers.

That's better. I haven't linked to a Guardian article for about three days!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:29:43 am »

« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:32:21 am »
I love The Scream. I had a poster of it on my wall at one point, but I never framed it properly and it got tatty in subsequent house moves.

Plus it is basically a visual representation of what is going on in my head when I see that someone is about to lead me onto a bumpy offroad track ;D

« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:00:12 am »
Not a work I'd bother to go and see.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2012, 01:37:03 pm »
The great Steve Bell used it to good effect today!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »
It's a b3ta staple, used for jolly Photoshops like the little bridesmaid from the Royal Wedding.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:10:55 pm »
Of course, it is!

:D

« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:31:20 pm »
Of course, it is!

:D

l33t fotoshop skillz!

Frere

« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2012, 10:54:57 am »
Van Gogh was far, far better at the 'disturbed mind' genre IMO.  'The Scream' was slightly later than Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' (for example) and the two painters shared a friendship with Gauguin.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:57:54 pm »
The couple in the background are both Robson Green.  Trufax.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12 on: 23 February, 2012, 11:05:23 pm »

Given free rein, what particular painting would you want to hang on your wall?

Whistlejacket*

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/george-stubbs-whistlejacket

I have a poster instead, as the original is lifesize and I don't currently have a wall large enough to fit it on. The story is that when painting it, the model caught sight of it and thought it was a rival, and tried to kick the hell out of it. Stubbs had to ward the horse off with his brushes and marlstick.

*typing that into google to find a link, I got out of place on the keys and typed "Whistlekacker"  I was taken straight to that link!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 23 February, 2012, 11:12:21 pm »
Art is funny. I have music, pictures and photos that I love, genres that I seek out.

Others have different tastes. That's life.

It is when Group A says to Group B that "My music is better than yours" that I switch off. Fuck off, you do not know what goes on inside my head - and I have no desire to know what goes on inside yours, or that it melts you, or similar.

Except, of course, the universal truth that modern R&B is unmitigated shit.
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 23 February, 2012, 11:27:54 pm »
@wowobagger: This painting or a mirror, I'm not sure which is worse in the am :)

Agree with you Jaded. I know it is probably in the wrong place but it explains my take on art quite well

A couple attending an art exhibition were staring at a portrait that had them completely confused. The painting depicted three very black and totally naked men sitting on a bench. Two of the figures had black dicks, but the one in the middle had a pink dick.

The curator of the gallery realized that they were having trouble interpreting the painting and offered his assessment. He went on for nearly half an hour explaining how it depicted the sexual emasculation of African-Americans in a predominately white, patriarchal society. "In fact," he pointed out, "some serious critics believe that the pink dick also reflects the cultural and sociological oppression experienced by gay men in contemporary society."

After the curator left, a Scottish man approached the couple and said,
"Would you like to know what the painting is really about?"

"Now why would you claim to be more of an expert than the curator of the
gallery?" asked the couple.

"Because I'm the guy who painted it," he replied. "In fact, there's no
African-Americans depicted at all. They're just three Scottish coal-miners.
The only difference is that the guy in the middle went home for lunch."
[/qoute]
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 23 February, 2012, 11:39:22 pm »
 ;D ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #16 on: 24 February, 2012, 08:07:51 am »
;D ;D

All it says is that a work of any merit is going to have a whole range of meanings, most of them unintended by the artist.

« Reply #17 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:22:49 am »
Maybe the artist didn't create the work (of whatever kind) with any 'meaning' other than to capture what he/she saw (whether in reality or imagination)?  So the result is then as much about the artist as the subject?  And the viewers opinion is a reflection of themselves!

Altho' some artists did use commonly understood symbols of their time as a kind of code to be read by those in the know.

« Reply #18 on: 24 February, 2012, 03:12:06 pm »
You mean like a novelist not meaning anything by setting words down in a certain order?

« Reply #19 on: 24 February, 2012, 03:24:22 pm »
You mean like a novelist not meaning anything by setting words down in a certain order?

depends not.    Possibly it , possibly

« Reply #20 on: 24 February, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »

depends not.    Possibly it , possibly

Tee hee!