Author Topic: I've just bought tickets for...  (Read 1185 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I've just bought tickets for...
« on: 24 September, 2014, 03:12:44 pm »
John Lill, 10th October, Plaza Centre, Southend.

I've been to a couple of Lill's concerts before, one of them in the Festival Hall in the 1970s, shortly after he won the Moscow International Tchaikowsky Competition. We're going to hear a programme consisting of Mozart, Shumann, Brahms & Beethoven.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: I've just bought tickets for...
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2014, 02:55:54 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lill
In 2000, Lill suffered injuries to both his hands when muggers slashed his hands in the course of a robbery attempt.[2][3][4] He recovered quickly and resumed his career
Bastards !

I bought tickets for trampled by turtles again in glasgow. They were pretty good last year.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2014, 01:59:30 pm »
Just bought two tickets for Othello at the Oxford Playhouse next month. From the trailer, it looks like quite a modern production but sticking close to the original text so I'm looking forward to it.

« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2014, 02:47:42 pm »
Lowering the tone slightly...
I've just bought a ticket for the 30th anniversary Fields of the Nephilim concert.
Crikey, that makes me feel old - first (non local) gig I went to was them at the Astoria nearly 30 years ago.

fuzzy

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2014, 02:16:41 pm »
Paloma Faith at the O2 (I think)
Joan Armatrading at The Wycombe Swan at the end of this month.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2014, 02:36:15 pm »
Paloma Faith at the O2 (I think)

Mrs T bought 3 of that flavour, but for the MetroFM (Newcastle) Stadium, the other night.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2014, 11:04:50 pm »
John Lill, 10th October, Plaza Centre, Southend.

I've been to a couple of Lill's concerts before, one of them in the Festival Hall in the 1970s, shortly after he won the Moscow International Tchaikowsky Competition. We're going to hear a programme consisting of Mozart, Shumann, Brahms & Beethoven.

A splendid evening, as I knew it would be, involving the best British pianist of his generation. I have to admire the memorising faculties of someone like Lill. He must have played for a total in excess of 90 minutes, all without a score, of course. Over his career he must have memorised thousands of minutes of music and it's impressive that a septuagenarian still had the dexterity to play such intricate stuff. By comparison, Brendel carried on performing until he was 77.

The first piece was one of Mozart's F-major sonatas, K 332. I was surprised in the first movement, when he got to bar 80, and its subsequent equivalents, that he played G natural in the bass line. I have always played G sharp. I checked when I got home and my score (Schirmer edition) does indeed show a G sharp. However, a delve around the internet show other editions with G natural. I would imagine that Mozart would have done both at different times, but I have to say I prefer the sharpened bass note.

I didn't know the Schumann or a Prokofiev toccata, which was a very thrilling, rhythmic work. The second half consisted of 3 intermezzi by Brahms and the Waldstein sonata to finish off. That really is a monstrous work and is definitely Beethoven in the "you can't get too much of a good thing" mode. I have tried murdering the first two movements on several occasions but have always got fed up before I got to the last, so I didn't know it so well. It's technically far too difficult for a klutz like me though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2014, 10:41:17 pm »
Dundee Symphony Orchestra Autumn concert. Should be good..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2014, 10:44:18 am »
Kevin Bridges, next September.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2014, 10:47:02 am »
Not just bought but we have tix for Mogwai on the 21st and Peter Gabriel in December.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2014, 09:41:28 pm »
W00t! Just bought tickets for North Atlantic Oscillation :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.