Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 429084 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1575 on: 18 November, 2016, 10:58:09 am »
Tested out a new route using footpaths around Rotherwick.  A couple of gloopy patches which even the trail shoes struggled with but well way marked paths, touch of frost, beautiful late autumn colours.  12.5 miles slightly slower than I would have liked but wanted to keep it steady after a midweek lurgy.   Am really enjoying the running at the moment, probably because I am not ramping up the distance as quickly as in past build-ups.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1576 on: 20 November, 2016, 12:37:36 pm »
Nice early run through the mud today. Not far, but before family up, then off to Leeds with t'bairn for music.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1577 on: 23 November, 2016, 09:29:50 pm »
Longest run of the winter so far.  Am working in Basel with a colleague who does an Ironman a year, so I showed him the delights of the hill up to Schonmatt, 330m above the city centre.  Normally I wait for a tram at Elektra Birseck but as we were still going well, we ran back, and by the time I'd got to my hotel on the banks of the Rhine, had clocked 16 miles.  Only time for a McDonalds when I got back as the restaurants don't to stay open late, but at least that helped with the expenses budget.  Going a little slower than usual meant that I had plenty in the tank at the end, which is encouraging for some planned longer runs over Christmas.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1578 on: 26 November, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »
1St cross country race in 22 years. Seem to have forgotten how to race, but good hard fun non the less. Training Peaks suggests a new HR threshhold and I certainly spent plenty of time over 170 and peaked at 185 - so much for 220 minus age (50)!

Also seem to have brought half the mud in County Durham home on my shoes.

Mike

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1579 on: 26 November, 2016, 06:01:34 pm »
8 days until I restart the weekly track sessions :sick:

It appears the track sessions, whilst awful at the time, are working because this morning I ran my fastest ParkRun since May 2015.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #1580 on: 28 November, 2016, 08:01:49 pm »
Nice. I've played it safe/steady with the hamstring although I managed a few hill reps off the back of the club masters group the other evening. Today was my first double run day since I strained it 6 weeks ago.

Back in the game  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1581 on: 01 December, 2016, 11:02:51 am »
Took advantage of the frosty weather (-4C) overnight to do my favourite 17 mile cross country route and knocked off 2 minutes from my previous best time because the horrible slog up through the muddy woods was crisp and hard and didn't suck out all the life out of my legs for the mostly downhill return leg.   ;D ;D ;D

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1582 on: 04 December, 2016, 07:26:44 pm »
I've just submitted my application for London 2017 :thumbsup:.

Today was my first double run day since I strained it 6 weeks ago.

How do you find doing the double runs? Normally I walk to walk & then run home (anything from 3km to over 20km).  I'm pondering running to work once or twice a week come the New Year & also running home.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #1583 on: 05 December, 2016, 11:19:31 am »
Not too bad. I started them last winter when I was wanting to increase my mileage over the winter before, to +100km/week, and found myself doing a medium-long run almost every day. At first I'd be tired for the second run of the day and slow, but as the year has gone on I've learnt to pace that morning run a bit better and for the evening run I'm still tired, but nice and loose and faster. I've usually been doing 7-9km for each run, sometimes with more emphasis on the evening run leaving the morning one as just a loosener.

As a bonus, you get a reminder to stretch twice a day, and your form remains good for the entire day's running, rather than dropping as it might do towards the end of a longer run.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1584 on: 08 December, 2016, 07:50:24 pm »
Sounds like one short step from run-walking.    :hand:    #mtfu
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1585 on: 17 December, 2016, 02:28:52 pm »
Not too bad. <snip>

Thanks. I'll have to give it a go come January.  Easy 4 or 5 km run to work in the morning, followed by a more representative run in the evening. I'll just need to figure out which days will be best and then get into a routine.

On a different note, this morning I ran what may have been my last ParkRun of 2016 and for the first time this year scrapped into the magic sub 17 barrier.  The track sessions are clearly making me faster; the next step is to start upping the distance ready for the first half marathon on the season at Watford in early February.

« Reply #1586 on: 14 January, 2017, 11:00:35 am »
Just getting back into some short, easy pace runs after 3 months out with an achilles problem. It's definitely an injury that needs to be treated with rest/stretching/physio and not one that can be run through. Great to be running on the Thames towpath and in Richmond Park again. Time to build up some fitness again hopefully.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1587 on: 15 January, 2017, 04:38:14 pm »
The treadmill is 200 years old today*!

One history says that they were developed to punish Oscar Wilde and his criminal ilke - an exercise was needed with no actual purpose (to make them truly sorry for their crimes). The prisoner was a in a sealed room allowing no contact with other prisoners/humans; with the belt running the length of the floor, appearing thru one wall, disappearing thru another.

Some would say that the experience on a modern gym treadmill isn't a lot nicer ..

*well, in 2017 anyway ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #1588 on: 16 January, 2017, 02:27:04 pm »
Well it's not quite going to plan but I'm running!

November and December were pretty much wiped out with an intermittent head cold thing so I only managed consecutive 6 miles on two occasions and didn't push up to 10 miles.

January has been partially thwarted by illness but I'm up to 9 miles.  Current plan is a long run, a tempo run (with a target speed but more importantly do the distance) and intervals.  I'm ditching my usual interval schedule and focussing on 400m reps for the first few weeks.  Time will tell.

I may make the start line for London yet.

The running has also helped to motivate me back on the bike and I've made it to the pub on the last 3 Portsmouth Wednesday Night Rides.  Might even target the national 400 as I really enjoyed the Brevet Cymru a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Blazer

« Reply #1589 on: 16 January, 2017, 04:36:28 pm »
having another go at running because my sore arm means I cant row or bike for too long.   This time, to try and avoid injury (am > 110kg) I'm using run / walk and not running more than 5 minutes without a 1 minute walk.  I did an hour on thursday with no issues afterwards so I'm going to stick with it and see.... 

« Reply #1590 on: 20 January, 2017, 04:16:04 pm »
No VLM ballot place for me but I've already got a Brighton place so I'll be focusing on that and trying to get the weight down this time.

See you there. We rode a bit of PBP together between Tinteniac and Quedillac on the way out. I remember the downhill after Becherel thinking 'he's pedalling a bit fast going downhill'.  I'd never seen fixed before!

Excellent, I do remember riding with you and especially the motivational drawing you had on your routesheet holder... "Allez daddy!"

trying to get the weight down this time.

Ha. Hahahaha. Will I ever learn?

I was 85kg (about the same as PBP'11) when I did Brighton last year, and that still felt too heavy for me (I was 76kg at LEL'09). Happily on track at ~2:20 through halfway but then legs emptied as I turned right back onto Kingsway (~19 miles) and walked most of the soulless power station section, then walk-jogged (900m jog, 100m walk) the last 5k along the seafront.

I'm 92kg right now with 11 weeks to go and before this week I had done a total of 20km of proper running since September 2016.

My main motivation is that my daughter is now old enough to do the Mini-Mile on the Saturday. If I pull out of the marathon then she'll be gutted she can't do her race.

Parkrun tomorrow and a cheeky 10km on Sunday will put me at 32km for the week so I should be heading in the right direction, just need to avoid overcompensating with food and the weight should start to go down but I doubt I'll get anywhere near 85kg. Ho hum.

Despite all of this I'm looking forward to doing it again as having done it once takes away a lot of the fear/mystery/panic. It's a nice course (apart from the 5k power station section), great support (apart from the 5k power station section) and what few hills there are are in the first 20k.

Also staying Sat/Sun night (rather than Fri/Sat) thanks to the Easter holidays. Getting one of the few trains back to London on the Sunday a couple of hours after finishing wasn't the most pleasant experience.

I look forward to the long runs along the Thames path and the horror that was 3 laps of Richmond Park (where my legs also emptied at 19 miles).

2018 I want to be sub-80kg and sub-4h.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1591 on: 21 January, 2017, 01:40:16 pm »
During December I managed two 90km weeks, which compares to the 55km of running I've done during the whole of 2017.  Being ill sucks, but after 2½ weeks of feeling rubbish I'm at least appear to be heading in the right direction. Now to get back to the fitness I had pre-Christmas, which involved doing ParkRun a minute faster than I managed this morning.

Blazer

« Reply #1592 on: 22 January, 2017, 11:04:37 pm »
42km this week.

Just need to be able to do that in one run...

« Reply #1593 on: 23 January, 2017, 08:19:42 am »
26km last week, not too bad for starting again.

This time last year I did my biggest week of 55k (16k, 11.7k, 9k intervals, 19k). No way I'll be up for that yet. Will hopefully get to 35km though, depends how much I push out the long run (only running ~12k as longest so far this year as that's my run commute).

[EDIT] Brighton MiniMile entries now open. My 7yo is very excited at the prospect. Just need to work on her pacing...

Blazer

« Reply #1594 on: 30 January, 2017, 09:32:02 pm »
So on that grounds 8 miles seems like a fair target.  Was back up to half marathon distance by mid February.

I'm up to 12 miles now with the half marathon distance (well 14 miles) on the plan for next Sunday.

Surprisingly the legs feel like they are coming back.  I saw a programme somewhere that suggested running the middle/second third of the long run at marathon pace so I tried that on the 12 mile run and survived / enjoyed it.

Tempo runs at 9 min/miles is feeling managable.

Nudged the intervals to 10 x 500m with 1 minute recovery's last week and felt OK.

Time will tell  but going OK ATM,

Cheers

« Reply #1595 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
Can I run every day in Feb without getting injured? 

So far, yes.  Will report back in a week!

(only about 30-40 minutes most days, quite slowly, with walking breaks.  Just trying to build some kind of base)

« Reply #1596 on: 02 February, 2017, 03:12:55 pm »
Haven't been out for over a week because I was told to take a week off vigorous exercise after my eye surgery.  Itching to get out tomorrow morning before work - Auntie's weather suggests it's going to be sunny in Uttoxeter first thing, so I'll get in a 10k razz to Marchington and back, and maybe a few laps of the racecourse.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1597 on: 05 February, 2017, 06:05:14 pm »
Way behind last year's marathon training and a busy social life destroyed much of the planned runs this week (long runs with a hangover are no fun), still I managed 33.5km including a long run (longest so far this time round) of 15km, along with 1h40m of 5-a-side football. According to last year's plan I should be doing long runs of 23km by now, and the next two weekends are scuppered by being away (it being half term). Time to rethink that plan...

Weight still static but I'm hopefully nearing the end of the 4 week plateau I have when I start to up the exercise, trousers certainly seem looser around the waist week on week. Hoping for accelerated weight loss in the 9 weeks to go, but realistically looking at only getting rid of 4kg (doubling that loss would be really nice...)

« Reply #1598 on: 06 February, 2017, 11:45:54 am »
Haven't been out for over a week because I was told to take a week off vigorous exercise after my eye surgery.  Itching to get out tomorrow morning before work - Auntie's weather suggests it's going to be sunny in Uttoxeter first thing, so I'll get in a 10k razz to Marchington and back, and maybe a few laps of the racecourse.  :thumbsup:
Didn't manage the racecourse laps - I was running a bit late for work - but enjoyed the trek up and down (and up and down) the appropriately-named Moisty Lane.
https://www.strava.com/activities/856335659

« Reply #1599 on: 06 February, 2017, 07:56:10 pm »
From the station past the racetrack and on to Marchington is part of my "standard" 100k flattish ride.  The hill just after the golf course always catches me but then the views on Moisty lane are great.  The mess they made with the Solar panel farm really made it unpleasant for a while though.