Author Topic: Trailer missions  (Read 5650 times)

Trailer missions
« on: 08 November, 2011, 10:04:06 pm »
I am sure some people on here have carried stupendous loads on their trailers, but we need the photographic evidence as proof  :smug:
So here is the biggest load carried to date by me and carried for 6 miles. It, the wheelchair, wasn't something I really wanted to get for lots of reasons, but mam needs it right now.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Trailer missions
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:23:20 pm »
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

corshamjim

« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:32:55 pm »
Well done!  I've yet to haul anything really impressive.  So far the most challenging have been a compost bin (with contents in a couple of extra trips) and a flat-pack cold frame with a bag of compost underneath as ballast.  Thankfully the routes to the allotment and my local garden centre are both fairly flat.

My long-haul feat though was carting my camping stuff approx 42 miles back from the Not the Royal Wedding weekend this year - made that bit tougher by a fierce head-wind on the old Severn bridge.

« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:52:07 pm »
8 foot long boat being towed by the Wobblebike  :o:

1/4 tonne of horse-muck:

I've also had my 5 hp rotovator on the above trailer.  :o

1000 litre water tank (empty):

120 litre water tank (FULL!)

What do I win?  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2011, 11:38:44 pm »

Free trip to Dunwich towing one of the above  :P

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:17:17 am »
1/4 tonne of horse-muck:

The one time where a headwind would be welcome on a bike ride!

« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:23:26 am »

I have the image in my mind of someone sat in a wheelchair that's propped up on bricks, sans wheels.

There is a speech bubble "I only stopped to pop into the shop, and some bastard nicked my wheels."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:34:00 am »
 :o amazing

David Martin

« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2011, 10:14:16 am »
I do believe wobbly is in the flatlands. Taking 1/4 ton of horse muck to my (former) allotment would have been interesting as it is on a 1:9 hill...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2011, 11:18:07 am »
I do believe wobbly is in the flatlands. Taking 1/4 ton of horse muck to my (former) allotment would have been interesting as it is on a 1:9 hill...

The way to carry a 1/4 ton or horse muck up a 1:9 hill is a pocketful at a time.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 09 November, 2011, 11:26:20 am »
Four bike boxes onna Yuba, baby!

Heavy load by lyope, on Flickr

Flickr group - I carried this on my bicycle
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

« Reply #11 on: 17 December, 2011, 02:19:06 pm »
See the Christmas Tree Photo thread for the full story..

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 18 September, 2013, 09:04:11 pm »
I tried this method of transporting my Archery gear to a shoot but it was a bit messy.

I tried using a large Archery backpack (they are VERY large) but that was too sweaty.

A trailer seemed the obvious answer but  won't use one enough to warrant spending a lot so I went on Ebay and found that the tow-along child carriers are very cheap 2nd hand.  £27.61 in fact.

Ooo look..my Archery backpack fits as snug as a bug

I'm going to strip it of all the canopy and associated support structure to leave just a flat-bed trailer.  Job's a guddun.  For 27 of your English quids.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #13 on: 19 September, 2013, 08:39:57 am »
What a good idea!  I will now resist the temptation to scour eBay and do something similar.  Trouble is I've always wanted a cargo trailer  ???

« Reply #14 on: 19 September, 2013, 08:50:04 am »
There is a post about how I converted one (bought from the dump for £2) to a cargo trailer in the 'Tales from the Wobbly Workshop' thread.  :thumbsup:

I bought another kiddie trailer at the weekend for £20 - almost as new. It's in better nick than the one I have for my grandson so will be used to tow him around.  :D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 19 September, 2013, 09:02:39 am »
What a good idea!  I will now resist the temptation to scour eBay and do something similar.  Trouble is I've always wanted a cargo trailer  ???

I hate to tell you this but, as you can see, they fold flat for easy storage so you can't use "no room" as an excuse.

I'm thinking of using cable-ties and some thick plastic garden mesh to create some side panels. Just to prevent stuff touching the wheels.

Some skinnier tyres would be nice, to keep weight, and spray, to a minimum.  I don't need "child-bearing" ones.

I'll see what Wobbly John has done

Edit..what a great thread Wobbly John.  I'm honoured to have something along the same lines as one of your creations

Although that extra £22 I paid got me one that didn't need much fettling (I just don't have time or the equipment).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16 on: 19 September, 2013, 09:12:44 am »
OK, you can stop now  :facepalm:  That's enough  ;D

LEE

« Reply #17 on: 25 September, 2013, 05:11:42 pm »
Some garden trellis and cable-ties later...

The trellis is more to stop straps dangling onto the road, I think it will snap eventually.  The luggage straps form a more solid base.

Early days yet.  Plastic-coated chain-link would be a better proposition I think.

The four corner posts will be perfect for adding some low sides.

I even had a thought about making it all a bit narrower by sawing out 15cm each end and having it welded back together.

I wonder if I can turn the Axle blocks around and have the wheels "in-board"....

In any case, you can probably see, from mine and Wobbly John's projects, that these things provide a really useful chassis for a trailer project, for very little money.

New Thread started for Bicycle Trailer Bodges

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 27 September, 2013, 04:45:54 pm »
Mercifully eBay has nothing suitable close by - phew!

I used to have a kiddy trailer that would have been ideal for conversion but I sold it to a colleague a long time ago.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #19 on: 09 October, 2013, 07:37:47 pm »