Author Topic: Brompton C-Bag and water repellency  (Read 2706 times)

Brompton C-Bag and water repellency
« on: 04 March, 2017, 02:53:55 pm »
I have acquired one of these, and adapted it (using a few deft strokes of a hacksaw) for use with my S-bars.
I ordered it in black because I like black and it matches the rest of the bike.
What I'm not over-struck with is the hi-viz-besmirched-with-retro-reflectives shower-cap waterproof cover.
I cannot see it ever being used as it hurts my eyes and offends.
So, my question is: Once all the plastic fittings and zip waterproof band have been suitably masked, can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't apply a water-repellent spray such as Scotchgard or Fabsil?
I believe the bag is fashioned mostly from Cordura.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Brompton C-Bag and water repellency
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2017, 04:49:45 pm »
*watches with interest*

Shower-cap technology, while sometimes a necessary tradeoff for an otherwise excellent piece of luggage, is a rubbish way to waterproof a bag.  It suffers from the same fundamental problem as my photography; by the time I think to stop and get it out, it's too late.

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2017, 05:32:50 pm »
Next test for this bag is to see whether it can accommodate my Makita, charger and 2 spare batteries - sans case.
I think it'll be a doddle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2017, 05:38:01 pm »
Should be okay.  The C-bag's great as a bag with commutery pockets and strap which will happily accommodate a change of clothes or an assortment of Stuff for when you need to go somewhere and do things with Stuff.  Overloads gracefully when you nip to the shops, too.

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2017, 05:45:38 pm »
C-bag has dealt gracefully with its first outing(s), the two trips (I forgot the breadcrumbs) to Sainsburys, today.
As people have said, additional weight on the front appears to improve handling.
Scotchgard has been ordered from Amazon.

ETA: Makita case fits like it was made for the job, just, but leaves bugger all space for anything else.... so sans case does indeed point to being the order of the day.

« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2017, 07:49:12 pm »
I have to say I reckon the cover is pretty inoffensive as hi-vizness goes; why, with the single broad reflective stripe it could almost be Rapha, daaaahling!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2017, 07:55:21 pm »
TBH, my main problem with the C-bag shower cap isn't the colour[1], so much as the way that it impairs access to those ever so useful rear pockets, and if not fitted carefully (eg. when thrown on in a hurry as it starts to piss it down with rain) it can obscure the front light.

[1] Theoretically, it shouldn't be a problem, as dorky hi-vis is automatically cancelled out by application of Rule 9 in situations that warrant its use.  In practice, as I've mentioned above, you have to put it on *before* it chucks it down for it to be effective.

« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2017, 04:41:00 pm »
Scotchgard delivered.
Let us spray.

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2017, 01:24:25 pm »
Scotchgard delivered.
Let us spray.

Woud be interest to hear if this does the job, regarding waterproofing - I assume if it works on the C-Bag would also work on the T-Bag and S-Bag?

I've also been considering the Caradice City Folder bag, but a little put off by the weight of it, even when empty (1.6Kg - or is that mostly the frame?), and the rear pockets look quite fiddly to get into
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:11:25 pm »
Scotchgard delivered.
Let us spray.

Woud be interest to hear if this does the job, regarding waterproofing - I assume if it works on the C-Bag would also work on the T-Bag and S-Bag?

I've also been considering the Caradice City Folder bag, but a little put off by the weight of it, even when empty (1.6Kg - or is that mostly the frame?), and the rear pockets look quite fiddly to get into
I don't see why it wouldn't work. When I got caught in a shower the first time I was out with the bag, rainwater seemed to 'bobble' on the untreated surface of the bag - which is what gave me the Scotchgard idea. I'll let you know. I sprayed it a couple of weeks ago and I've not been out in the rain since then. TBF, you could be waiting quite a while as the bike doesn't see much use aside from some shopping, weekends only. I hardly ever get on it during the week.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:16:19 pm »
I sprayed it a couple of weeks ago and I've not been out in the rain since then.

Ah, the Rainlegs principle...

« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:38:33 pm »
I sprayed it a couple of weeks ago and I've not been out in the rain since then.

Ah, the Rainlegs principle...

Indeed.
Although Scotchgard is less likely to get you KILLED TO DETH IN SOME PUB COS YOU LOOK WEIRD than Rainlegs are