Author Topic: Ok, so I might be in trouble here!  (Read 2238 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Ok, so I might be in trouble here!
« on: 29 May, 2010, 10:35:36 pm »
When swmbo finds out I've bid on an Airnimal with a rohloff hub I'm going to catch it! It's not hat I don't want the bike, as I'm sure it will make a reasonable substitute for a brompton, it's just that we usually discuss that level of spend beforehand! I rather impulsivly placed a bid on eBay and I'm still winning!!!

I'd blame someone on here, but the post with the link in it seems to have disapeard.

I know it's a bit late to ask this question, but what are Airnimals like to ride?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Ok, so I might be in trouble here!
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2010, 10:38:32 pm »
dunno - but how much wonga .. which auction... etc.  i'm sure that we on yacf will do our best to rescue from spendiness that'll get you in any sort oftrouble  :demon:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2010, 07:54:52 am »
You gonna die ;D

I do things like this :thumbsup:  My wife is now used to it, I usually just get one of these now ::-)

Just find a way to drop it into the conversation , tell her that you've taken a punt on it because its cheap, and you didnt think you'd win it, but it now looks like you might, and tell her how much of a bargain it will be if you do.  Go into lots of detail about Rohloff hubs and how well engineered, and therefore expensive, they are, how the hub is worth more than you've bid for the whole bike etc  etc, she''ll soon get bored and let you get on with it ;D  If you win, play up the positives, announce about what a fantastic once in a lifetime bargain you've got, and how it will transform your life, list all of the uses you have for it, reaaly enthusiatically, again she'll soon get bored and let you get on with it.   When it arrive, gush about it  , make her come and look at it, explain the superb engineering of the hub again, show her all of the super build details, she''ll just want to get away and leave you to your bike nerdiness, and youre off the hook :thumbsup:

It works with guitars too :thumbsup:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2010, 09:06:50 am »
And saxophones.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2010, 09:19:34 am »
You probably don't want to hear this, but Airnimals are very nice to ride. My Airnimal was my first 'proper' bike that I used for long distances. It is a great bike for climbing and fast acceleration. Worked well for touring too. I did have the sportier Chameleon rather than the Joey though, so there may be some differences. Folding is not as convenient as a Brompton, but the 'first position' fold (removal of font wheel and fold the front forks around the back wheel), takes less than a minute and is compact enough for trains and back of a car.

The only reason I got rid of mine (after 5 years) is that I've become addicted to riding fixed and we are short of shed space.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2010, 10:57:37 am »
Tell her that I'll buy it from you if necessary;(then I'll let you down after you've bought & you'll be stuck with it)
but don't tell her about the bit in parenthises ;)

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2010, 11:50:20 am »
"I'd blame someone on here, but the post with the link in it seems to have disapeard."

That'll be me I think - it got moved!

Blame away - I can take it!

And at up to a grand, it will be a bargain and will depreciate little compared with most bikes.

PS Had another look - 3 days to go, I guestimate will top 800 quids?
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2010, 12:17:35 pm »
The Airnimal Joey I had was great to ride, mine was the cheapest Airnimal you could get- 8 speed setup with a basic Alivio MTB rear mech. I used the Joey for day rides and touring where trains were involved- great for that. Also used it for my first time trials and club rides too (it was either that, the MTB or the Brompton. The Joey was way faster than the other two)

Beardy

• Shedist
I'm off the hook.
« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2010, 12:58:49 pm »
Phew. But now I'm disapointed. :'( There's no pleasing some folk.:D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2010, 09:54:53 pm »
It's infectious! You dodged a bullet there, feller!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.