Author Topic: Flying with a Brompton  (Read 5107 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Flying with a Brompton
« on: 16 August, 2010, 01:51:06 pm »
One of the dealers is offering a free hard case.  I'm just wondering if I would ever use it.

Those of you whom have taken your Brommie on a big silver thing that goes in the sky, what have you put the bike in?  Nothing?  A bag?  A hard case?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Re: Flying with a Brompton
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2010, 02:03:51 pm »
I used a Delsey suitcase to transport mine. That was fine, but I needed to do some dis/reassembling once I upgraded to a Birdy.

I also flew with the smaller, inferior folder in a very well-padded Brompton bag, but that wasn't so good, as the pump got broken and the mudguards needed some work.

I wouldn't pack it into anything unless it was hard-sided.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2010, 02:35:40 pm »
When I flew to London for the Dun Run in July, I used the B Bag. I had tried to fit the bike in a big (hard) Samsonite suitcase, but it didn't quite fit. Feeling that the B Bag doesn't offer enough protection, I lined the sides of the case with two layers of heavy-duty cardboard, and the ends and top with a single layer. The bottom of the case is reinforced. As a further precaution, I removed the pedals and the clamps and screws used lock the hinges. I was pretty sure that the somewhat flimsy plastic hardware used to attach the straps to the bag would certainly be destroyed or torn off, but both the bag and the bike survived the trip absolutely intact. Maybe I was lucky.
"There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with spending money on a bike."--R. Ballantine

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2010, 04:56:52 pm »
Thanks.  I can imagine a bag with plenty of cardboard being good enough for me, too.

The hard case may well be better, but I don't really want it taking up space at home.  I already have too much junk :(  I'll think about it a bit more, though.  Oh, decisions, decisions.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2010, 06:55:23 pm »
My front mudguard stays got bent on the train  >:(

They're designed to easily bend back, BTW.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2010, 08:59:44 am »
A free hard case sounds like a very good offer indeed.

Mine cost well over £100.

I have used it and it's pretty good but there  is a weight issue with the likes of Easyjet. You end up eating into a substantial amount of your normal weight allowance.

I have also used the soft bag on my five-gear (all hub geared) Brommie with some padding added. It seemed fine.

I'm a great fan of the traditional Brommy's  tank like construction.

I don't know about the newer models

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2010, 09:27:28 am »
Note.  The case on offer - from foldingbikes.biz - isn't a genuine Brompton one and may not be as good.

I've just found out from AVC that Brompton no longer allow them to post the bikes; they have to be collected in person.  I bet that applies to all other dealers as well now, so the foldingbikes.biz offer is now irrelevant (for me at least).

EDIT:  I've now ordered from Simpson Cycles who still deliver.

Not too bothered about the case after all as I'm not even sure I'll ever fly with the Brompton anyway.

« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2010, 10:42:19 am »
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier as I would have offered to buy the hard case as I'm flying long haul in a couple of months with my Brompton.

« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:29:24 am »
Thread resurrection:

Any recent experience on flying with a brommie ?
Anyone used one of these ? Folding flight case

I have the extended seat post. That may complicate things slightly as it sticks up more than the regular seatpost

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2017, 12:12:37 pm »
I know Charlotte has flown with hers.  Bent hinge clamp bolts are a risk IIRC.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2017, 12:19:13 pm »
We always screw them down firmly or remove them when we fly. The little trolley wheels and their supports should be protected by thick bubblewrap or a small cardboard box, otherwise they can get bent/ broken. Consider the rear mudguard as potentially sacrificial.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2017, 01:40:10 pm »
Thread resurrection:

Any recent experience on flying with a brommie ?
Anyone used one of these ? Folding flight case

I have the extended seat post. That may complicate things slightly as it sticks up more than the regular seatpost

Can you not just remove the top section with the saddle?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:27:03 pm »
Not really, its not an extension, but a longer seat post.
Fleet Week: [04] My Brommie by sg310, on Flickr

« Reply #13 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:41:17 pm »
I think Zipperhead may be confusing the extended seatpost for the telescopic one.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #14 on: 14 April, 2017, 10:25:28 am »
I think Zipperhead may be confusing the extended seatpost for the telescopic one.

What? There are two different long ones?

Oh yes, I am. If I'd known then when I replaced my telescopic one last year I could have had an extended one!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #15 on: 18 April, 2017, 10:25:24 pm »
Have flown over a dozen times now with my Brompton. I just use the original box every time;
no problems. In addition to the bike; I also stuff spare parts, tools, clothes, shoes, lights,etc.
No oversized and/or overweight charges:

Nagoya Station by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

On one trip(New York City to California); I threw the box after landing at LAX. Rode my bike
from Los Angels to my hotel in Anaheim. Going back; I just made a big box out of 2 smaller
boxes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNuuT-nRer4&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA&index=33