Author Topic: Bottle cage on a Brompton  (Read 7461 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Bottle cage on a Brompton
« on: 22 August, 2010, 01:21:42 pm »
Bit of an old chestnut, this, but still I'm not sure of all the options (especially as I don't even have the bike yet).

Apart from behind the saddle and on top of the top tube, is there a place where a bottle cage can be fixed that doesn't interfere with the fold - without needing to remove the whole cage?

I'm considering a KickFix (QR cage) as well, but it won't always be convenient to use.

This will be for an S-Type with an Extended seat post, not always with a luggage bag.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Bottle cage on a Brompton
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:24:13 pm »
On the stem but it will increase the folded size.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:27:28 pm »
Sorry I forgot to mention that I'll sometimes be using an S-Bag.  Will a cage on the stem interfere with that?

Thanks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:31:32 pm »
A stem-mounted bidon will usually interfere with a front bag during very tight turns but I've not checked for the S-bag/bar combination.

You can mount a bidon cage off a handlebar bag fitted to the Brompton block.  I believe you can mount a bidon cage directly to the side of a Brompton block using a single screw, but haven't tried it myself.

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »
I use a rubber band on bottle on the top tube, which works ok, and if its positioned right the saddle partly protects it when folded. That doesnt stop me kicking it every time I get off though ;D

I tried it on the stem, but it was not practical I found

I had also thought of getting a Carradice Maxi saddle bag, which has a side pocket that holds a bottle.

I was out yesterday and managed fine with one bottle and another screw top bottle packed away in my Carradice Zipped roll , which incidentally is an absolutely perfect saddlebag for a Brommie with a Brooks saddle

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2010, 04:14:37 pm »
On the stem won't interfere with a bag if you have it on the *back* of the stem, facing you.  It makes the folded bike wider by the width of the cage, but doesn't actually interfere with the fold.  It's also very convenient to drink from.

The other place is on the main tube, just behind the bend so the saddle clears it.  However, most bottles dribble when mounted nearly-horizontal.

I have braze-ons for both positions, but you can use Elite strap-on bosses.  The trouble with the latter is that they tend to ping off when a cage isn't actually fitted, so drill a couple of holes in an alu strip and use it as a blanking plate.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2010, 04:24:29 pm »
On the stem won't interfere with a bag if you have it on the *back* of the stem, facing you.

I was referring to the back of the stem, it still interferes with tight turns but not during most riding situations.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2010, 04:35:49 pm »
Thanks.  I don't fancy an horizontal bottle.

Stem mounting would be cheap, so I'll give it a go to see what it's like for myself.  Maybe also a saddle mounting.

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2010, 09:42:50 pm »
I use the back pocket of the S-Bag. Works for me.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2010, 09:57:08 pm »
I use the back pocket of the S-Bag. Works for me.

I'll give that a go too, but I won't always have the S-Bag on as I won't always need such a large bag.  A small rack bag will save weight and be more aero! :)

« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:07:14 am »
The S-Bag is more fairing than bag surely.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:35:58 am »
I have an oversized-band SQR block on my Brommie's seatpost and this means I can choose between Barley or Camper Longflap saddlebags.  If it's the latter, I can sling a bottle in one of the side pockets; very convenient.

If you're not using the seatpost area for anything else, what about using one of those double-bottle cage mounts that go behind the saddle rails?  The ones that TTers use?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: 13 October, 2010, 04:39:13 pm »
The two fish bottle cage with velcro band fits around either stem or top tube and can be moved around the tube when you fold but pocket of bag works best of all, I think. :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #13 on: 13 October, 2010, 04:42:22 pm »
As Goldcrank says, the S-bag has two rear pockets. They are ideal for water bottles.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 13 October, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »
As I says, I ain't always going to be using a bag ;)  ...But probably will quite often (an S-bag).

I have purchased a behind-the-saddle-job - but might try all the other suggestions too eventually.  Thanks again all.

Apparently my bespoke Brommie arrived at the dealer today - so I should be getting it very soon.  Looking forward to it a lot.  If I like it at all, it'll open up a whole new way to enjoy cycling for me.