Author Topic: Brompton rim tape  (Read 4072 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Brompton rim tape
« on: 04 July, 2008, 10:05:19 pm »
What do people use for the new-style rims with a wear indicator groove?  The blue stuff SJSC sent me is too wide for the "well" and doesn't work at all.  I've put four layers of electrical insulating tape on for now (which will probably hold up fine, since there aren't any spoke holes, just potentially prickly nipples and spoke ends).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Brompton rim tape
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2008, 02:27:38 am »
Skinny Velox cloth tape, cut to size.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2008, 02:39:41 am »
The insulation tape will work well, until you do a very long twisty descent, when it will melt through from braking (done that on the front wheel of a Moulton coming down the Great Dividing Range).  The cut-down Velox is the permanent solution.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2008, 07:29:03 am »
I hate Velox rim tape.  It soaks up water and it's too thick, making tyre fitting a right pain.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2008, 08:46:59 am »
Velox doesn't much affect tyre fitting on a channel-section rim.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2008, 10:29:09 am »
I hate Velox rim tape.  It soaks up water and it's too thick, making tyre fitting a right pain.

Blasphemer!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

bikenerd

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2008, 11:02:49 am »
If they're like the Alesa rims on my Moulton APB: file down any sticky out spoke parts.  I failed to do this and two layers of electrical tape + velox tape still resulted in a p*ncture when the spoke poked through the tape into the tube!
Although I do ride my APB down bridleways.  Which is why the headset is knackered! :)