Author Topic: Brompton Open Day 2012  (Read 2252 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Brompton Open Day 2012
« on: 14 June, 2012, 11:06:59 am »
From their Email list - well worth visiting the factory if you are in London - their drive for engineering excellence is fascinating (as well as their battles to squeeze ever more bikes per annum out of quite a small factory!)

"Dear Bromptoneer,

We would like to cordially invite you to the 2012 Factory Ride and Open Day taking place next month.

Following on from a successful event last year we are again planning a London based ride, starting from a secret location and ending at the Brompton factory near Kew Bridge.

We will lay on some refreshments and a bit of entertainment and, of course, invite you to look around the factory and see production first hand.

Details:

Date – Saturday 14th July

Start Time – 10.30am at secret location for ride (approx. distance 8 miles).

Finish Time – Around 4pm following lunch, entertainment and factory visit.

Cost – To you sir/madam, nothing.

Registration – Please register online for a place on the Factory Ride

We are strictly limited to 100 guests only; based on past form we strongly suggest signing up as soon as possible as places fill up quickly. Details of where to meet for the ride will be sent to successful registrants approximately 1 week prior to the event.  Restricted to Brompton bikes only.

We do hope you can join us for what we hope will be a fun day on the bikes and in the factory.

Happy pedalling,

The Brompton Team"
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Re: Brompton Open Day 2012
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »
I tried about 1 hour after the time on the email (can't see personal email at work, so had happened to check on my phone) - and it was full already!!!  :o

Am on the waiting list ......

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:32:30 pm »
Engineering excellence?  Reminds me of the Red Dwarf line: "The Albanian State Washing Machine Company has a technology far in advance of our own".  ;D

This is the company that fits the wrong size rim tape to all its new bikes, supplies wheels that break spokes more frequently than they puncture (OK, that's outsourced, but they need to find a new wheelbuilder) and has a rear hinge design that is primitive, not really up to the job and is notoriously hard to overhaul.

Andrew Ritchie got the fold right but the bike could be made so much better for another £25 or so, if that.

And yes, I would choose one over any other folding bike, but that's because size is critical and at least you can get all the spares for them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2012, 11:59:13 pm »
Indeed, in many ways the bike hasn't been engineered at all, they never got around to it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2012, 12:00:56 am »
Too busy selling bikes, presumably...

« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2012, 02:54:12 pm »
Got off the waiting list and got a spot.  Anyone that is going, my Brompton is the one with silver 'Morticia' stickers on it.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2012, 04:25:46 pm »
I got a place but am unable to attend due to promising myself elsewhere (stupidly without checking my diary first).  :(

Would anyone like to take my place?  You'll have to pretend to be me - hopefully just by showing the ticket that you can print.  I'll give you the secret details.  First come, first served.  PM your email address to me.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2012, 10:03:26 am »
Absolutely peeing down currently. About to leave the house, wearing full cycling gear and waterproofs which is not right for a brompton ride!

I will be there in orange YACF top, if you can see it under the waterproof. Otherwise look for long girly hair.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:10:14 am »
Had a great time, but a big soggy.  Rain stopped just as we did the tea stop in Richmond Park.  Pity the weather wasn't more in line with the Caribbean food and steel band entertainment at the end!