Author Topic: Brompton Suspension  (Read 4353 times)

Brompton Suspension
« on: 12 March, 2015, 09:07:36 pm »
Whats the panels verdict on suspension ?
I went for standard on advice of the shop, but now I notice the manual states firm is better for 70 kg and above.
I'm 72 kg

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Brompton Suspension
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:16:38 pm »
Firm.  If it's the old design that you can stiffen up with a couple of jubilee clips, all the better.

Regardless, pedalling in a style that minimises suspension bounce seems to be key to efficient bromptoning...

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:26:01 pm »
Hmm.
OK, best get on to the shop ASAP then.

Can it be swapped out subsequently ?
(its a new order, so hope it wouldnt be the old design)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:36:24 pm »
Yeah, it's a two minutes with an allen key job to swap.  Maybe three if you make sure the bolt's nicely greased for squeak-reduction.

Interestingly, my dealer said they tell everyone to go for the firm, unless they have a particular reason to want the soft.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:55:55 pm »
Even the Firm isn't firm enough for my liking.  I bounce when I don't pedal super smoothly.  I'm something like 12 stone, I think.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:22:28 pm »
I'm a new 85kg-ish Bromptonista with the firm block and I find it OK. 
I bounced a bit when I first started but after a couple weeks of riding as Kim infers, one finds a pedaling style that makes very smooth progress.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:26:47 pm »
I bounced a bit when I first started but after a couple weeks of riding as Kim infers, one finds a pedaling style that makes very smooth progress.

It's pretty much the same pedalling style that stops the chain tubes on a recumbent going thrrrp-thrrrp-thrrrp-thrrrp, for not entirely surprising reasons.  I find it hard to achieve without foot retention, though my general approach to cycle clothing means that if I'm using the Brompton with flat pedals, I'm probably taking things fairly easy.

« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2015, 11:16:01 am »
Stand easy troops. My order has been changed no issue. And was informed they've pulled it in by a couple of weeks.

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2015, 07:20:46 pm »
I must confess I didn't notice much bounce when I test-rode a Brompton a while back, and I'm 6'5, 18-odd stone, and a masher.  Possibly because it was only a short blast about town on the flat? Either way, I'm giving serious thought to n+1 being a Brompton, as and when funds allow.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2015, 11:54:14 am »
I really wish my Brommie had 'real' suspension.

I know I'm spoiled by riding my Specialized, which is FS and has Schwalbe SuperMoto tyres, but the Brommie is a real boneshaker over poor road surfaces.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:10:52 pm »
I find it's not so much the bone-shaking (there's enough flex to take out the worst of the shock) so much as the way certain rough surfaces can slow the Brommie down.  There's a stretch of well-worn road near here that's unpleasantly buzzy on the Dawes (rigid 700c), merely noisy on the SMGT (20"/26" FS) but feels like riding through treacle on the Brompton.

Of course, no amount of suspension is going to make hitting real potholes with a 16" wheel a good idea.

« Reply #11 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:34:36 pm »
This unmade road surface threw me off my Brommie yesterday :(
Don't know what I was thinking - I don't usually ride it on the big wheeled bike.  :facepalm:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:47:41 pm »
I wouldn't want the added weight of real suspension.  But I am going to replace my Kojaks for bigger tyres - larger in outer diameter as well as width.  It'll effect the trail as well - can't remember which way.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:28:07 pm »
Presumably you can't get Big Apples in Brompton Sizes...  *checks*  It seems not.  Probably isn't enough clearance for that much tyre anyway.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #14 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:46:06 pm »
I also checked to see if I could equip my Brommie with Big Apples :(

The Greenspeed Scorcher seems to the the largest Brommie-sized tyre, available from Westcountry Recumbents.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #15 on: 20 April, 2015, 08:59:33 am »
Picked it up on Sunday.
A short test run (mostly flat) was really comfortable. Had ridden a 300 the previous day so was expecting to feel my @rse a bit on the saddle but it was really smooth.  Gearing seemed fine for me. Was in 3rd on the flat with no wind and that seemed close to spot on.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17.msg1848271#msg1848271

« Reply #16 on: 25 April, 2015, 05:30:30 pm »
For folks who want an even 'firmer' suspension; you can try a green Birdy
block. Been using mine for over a year now and no problems so far; oh
and I like the the more solid feel. Me - 200 lbs./90 kgs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44332608@N03/15299511256/in/photostream/

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2015, 12:31:30 pm »
Thanks for the tip, 1interceptor.  I'll see if I can get one.  I'd like a tortoise to come on rides with me as well.