Author Topic: Novel valve problem - Brompton  (Read 4199 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Novel valve problem - Brompton
« on: 27 February, 2016, 09:38:03 pm »
I fixed a puncture on a Brompton today. I find small wheels are always a pain in the arse. Firstly I actually found getting the tyre off to be pretty difficult. I then discovered that the tube had torn around the valve, so I did the "check for sharp things" test inside the tyre but found nothing. What I did find, however, was that the Schraeder valve of the brand new tube was getting stuck in the valve hole. The thread was picking up the plastic rim tape and it was jamming the valve in the hole before it was seated properly. This was an entirely new problem in my experience. When I inflated the tyre I noticed that the valve was far from being seated correctly so I reduced the pressure, removed the tyre and tried again. It was very fiddly, but I managed (I think) to lift the rim tape sufficiently so that it went right to the base of the valve. Then the valve was seated correctly on the rim. I wondered if, for some reason, the valve on the old tube had been pushed back into the tyre and that had caused the puncture. Unusually, I found it quite easy to put the tyre back on.

What happened next was also new to me. I have recently invested in one of these

Topeak Super-chuck

and one of these

Topeak Pressure-rite.

I found that the latter, inserted into the former, was useless. I simply couldn't generate enough pressure with the pump to find its way through the labyrinth of tubing. I did inflate the tyre up to about 50psi, but that's nowhere near enough for a Brommie. Eventually I dispensed with the latter and just tried the former. I got it up to pressure OK but disconnecting the Super-chuck from the valve was extremely difficult.

Has anyone else used these items and actually been happy with them? I bought the "Pressure-rite" with a view to pumping small Islabikes' tyres but it was hopeless. The Super-chuck isn't much better, given the difficulty detaching ot from the valve. I have also found this with Presta valves. In the end, I got the tyre up to about 85psi with my trusty Road Morph.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Novel valve problem - Brompton
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2016, 09:48:45 pm »
I used the super chuck with schraeder adapter on my Brompton without any problem, inflating to 100 psi. However, what was better was to replace the standard inner tubes with presta valve tubes which makes inflation with the track pump much easier.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2016, 09:51:47 pm »
IIRC the valves are a fairly snug fit on my Brompton (which may well have different rims/tubes/rim-tape to yours, on account of the difference in vintage), but I've not experienced the problem you describe.  I do remember a bit of faffing about to make it sit straight, but that can happen on anything.

I find the Pressure-Rite works fine, though I don't bother with it on the Brompton, as my usual track pump (a cheapo 12V compressor) has a right-angular chuck.  It's handy with barakta's motor wheel, which doesn't have a lot of room for spokes.

That Super-Chuck looks sufficiently non-super in the face of small wheels (of which we have a disproportionate amount) that I would avoid it on principle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2016, 10:05:52 pm »
I used the super chuck with schraeder adapter on my Brompton without any problem, inflating to 100 psi. However, what was better was to replace the standard inner tubes with presta valve tubes which makes inflation with the track pump much easier.

I foolishly invested in a couple of spare 37-349 tubes with Schrader valves before I discovered that the frame-fit Zefal has a reversible pingfuckit and works fine with Presta (which I've standardised on for everything except the trailer[1]).   :facepalm:

[1] And only that in an attempt to use up the 20" Schrader tubes I've accumulated.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2016, 10:11:01 pm »
The Road Morph also has reversible pingfuckits. I couldn't remove the rubber grommit with my fingers and resorted to blowing it out with the pump, carefully placing my other hand in the way so that it wouldn't go too far. I must now put it back again for the purposes of inflating proper tyres.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2016, 10:15:50 pm »
Reversible pingfuckits are good in that they're better than being stuck with a given valve type, but the aim of the game is never to have to reverse them at the roadside (DAHIKT), and for that you need to either standardise your tubes or have a pump per bike (preferably both).

Track pump heads that can do either type of valve without mucking about are the way to go, I reckon.  My current arrangement of Schrader head with screw-on adaptor is only good in that it enables the use of an electric pump that would otherwise be languishing in a cupboard due to no longer owning a car.  TBH I expected it to b0rk years ago, but it refuses to die.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:09:22 am »

I foolishly invested in a couple of spare 37-349 tubes with Schrader valves before I discovered that the frame-fit Zefal has a reversible pingfuckit and works fine with Presta (which I've standardised on for everything except the trailer[1]).   :facepalm:

[1] And only that in an attempt to use up the 20" Schrader tubes I've accumulated.

... are you saying that you have Presta tubes on the Brompton?  - if so do you have a grommet in the valve hole?   - I'm looking at getting Presta tubes for my "new" Brommie so that I have one valve type across the fleet.

Rob

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:46:03 am »
Specifically: Schwalbe part code SV4

ETA: WRT to grommets for 'oversize' valve holes. Yes, grommets would work but, as I'm sure you know, Schwalbe's presta tubes come with a lockring that is conical(ish) and centralise the valve without the need for a grommet.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »
... are you saying that you have Presta tubes on the Brompton?  - if so do you have a grommet in the valve hole?   - I'm looking at getting Presta tubes for my "new" Brommie so that I have one valve type across the fleet.

No, I'm saying I wish I had, and now I've got to wait for enough Brompton punctures to make it worth replacing them all.  At the current rate of 800 miles and zero punctures, that could take a while.

We do have Presta tubes with grommets for the Schrader-drilled valve holes on barakta's trike, though, and the former tandem-shaped-object had the same arrangement.  Work fine, and I see no obvious reason to expect them not to on a Brompton.

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2016, 02:19:58 pm »

No, I'm saying I wish I had, and now I've got to wait for enough Brompton punctures to make it worth replacing them all.  At the current rate of 800 miles and zero punctures, that could take a while.

We do have Presta tubes with grommets for the Schrader-drilled valve holes on barakta's trike, though, and the former tandem-shaped-object had the same arrangement.  Work fine, and I see no obvious reason to expect them not to on a Brompton.

In for a penny, in for a pound I've just ordered Presta tubes and grommets - and 2 new tyres as well.

Rob

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:31:46 pm »
10mm Velox rim tape is better than the factory blue stuff, which doesn't actually fir the rim properly and can make tyre mounting terribly difficult.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 29 February, 2016, 07:36:32 am »
10mm Velox rim tape is better than the factory blue stuff, which doesn't actually fir the rim properly and can make tyre mounting terribly difficult.

Do you mean the Velox orange self-adhesive roll of tape - rather than the loop that fits the wheel?

Thanks

Rob

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 29 February, 2016, 09:08:58 am »
The 10mm Velox I've bought has been the usual white with blue print.  Not that the colour matters.  Self-adhesive roll, yes.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●