Author Topic: A 130mm stem; too long?  (Read 5587 times)

Re: A 130mm stem; too long?
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2019, 02:49:58 pm »
It handled fine and was the first time I've ever actually managed to ride no-handed!

If you're riding no handed, why would the length of stem matter  ???

Not sure, but I'm assuming it's to do with the geometry of the frame somehow.

« Reply #26 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:20:44 pm »
Aha! Yes of course, that would make sense.

It's funny, I never understood why more quill stems of that design weren't marketed. (is there an underlying engineering flaw somewhere  :-\  )

I think it’s a chicken and egg thing: makers of quill stems didn’t think to do it until ahead stems appeared with that feature. At that time, quill was still common on road bikes whilst ahead was mostly MTB. But now quill is mainly retro so needs to look retro.

I have a quill stem somewhere that secures the bars in the same way as ahead stems do - with a forward facing 4 Allen bolt plate.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2019, 06:14:52 pm »
It doesn't make that much difference and a longer stem looks cooler.  You get used to the handling of almost any bike after a few hundred yards.

Took me at least a few miles to get used to the handling of a Brompton, now that did feel odd at first - *very* direct. Used to it now, though, and doesn't feel strange to swap between that and a "normal" bike anymore.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #28 on: 08 March, 2019, 06:17:21 pm »
Aha! Yes of course, that would make sense.

It's funny, I never understood why more quill stems of that design weren't marketed. (is there an underlying engineering flaw somewhere  :-\  )

I think it’s a chicken and egg thing: makers of quill stems didn’t think to do it until ahead stems appeared with that feature. At that time, quill was still common on road bikes whilst ahead was mostly MTB. But now quill is mainly retro so needs to look retro.

I have a quill stem somewhere that secures the bars in the same way as ahead stems do - with a forward facing 4 Allen bolt plate.

Part of the reason a quill stem looks beautiful is because it doesn't have a forward-facing 4 allen bolt plate...
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #29 on: 08 March, 2019, 10:04:03 pm »
Very true, that quill stem is plug ugly which is why it’s not on a bike right now. When I first saw ahead stems on road bikes I though they looked like bits of scaffolding compared to my Cinelli stem but now I’m used to them so they don’t bother me (much).
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 09 March, 2019, 09:16:51 am »
Velo Orange make a really useful quill stem with pop-top for 31.8mm bars, which is almost unique.  It's very pricey, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.