Author Topic: [HAMR] Tracking  (Read 18418 times)

Re: Tracking
« Reply #25 on: 01 January, 2015, 04:17:45 pm »
The total on there is not correct either as it only started at Buckingham at 01.01.
He would have done an hours riding before it started tracking.

Is he on a set route today Rich or just improvising with his knowledge of local roads? That last stop in Bicester almost looked like a spur of the moment thing after he had started to head west again.
Looks like he's got some very decent weather over the next few days so he might fancy his chances of getting a fair few decent miles on the clock right from the outset.
Right...back to tax.
Garry Broad

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #26 on: 01 January, 2015, 04:21:25 pm »
Think he was just riding, although he must have had some idea of the distance and time to get to the start of the TT.
The Bicester food stop was planned and mentioned on here a while ago.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 01 January, 2015, 04:22:29 pm »
'Our  man in the UK' has a proper name  :)
It is clear to me that Steve needs a nickname to compete with Tarzan and IronOx. I will throw my hat into the ring with Steve 'Pasty' Abraham. If it is adopted he could get sponsored by Ginsters :thumbsup:. Mind you the financial impact of providing free pasties might put them off.

BB

Steve "Teethgrinder" Abraham.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 01 January, 2015, 05:31:38 pm »
Cycled with him today for a while and we mentioned the possibility of a new forum name. I think Tommy2 was suggested

« Reply #29 on: 01 January, 2015, 05:33:48 pm »
IronOx?

Seems to be an endurance sports coach working in Fort Worth, Texas.
http://www.coriovelo.com/coaches.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxAQaUz24N0

I suppose 'Iron Ox' could be implying that 'Rust Never Sleeps'.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #30 on: 01 January, 2015, 05:46:47 pm »
It would be neat to see on a map all his whereaboutes throughout the year. With heat map colour coding for
no of visits of places/routes! Is something like that possible?

Once the Strava rides start building up the admin people can create a Heatmap there and show or link to it from the website and update it which will show exactly that.

« Reply #31 on: 01 January, 2015, 06:46:12 pm »
Does anyone know how to get that tracking site to display temperatures in something sensible, such as Centigrade? Either that or not display them at all!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #32 on: 01 January, 2015, 06:51:38 pm »
Click on Map Layers. Piss about checking/unchecking weather Conditions and Cloud Cover whilst occasionally clicking Refresh Location. It will eventually go away. But will then come back again later just to annoy you  :P

Edit: 200 miles up!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #33 on: 01 January, 2015, 06:54:25 pm »
Yep and he's nearly home - the track has now decided to show the correct start point as opposed to Buckingham. So some well deserved rest on the near horizon.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #34 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:02:59 pm »
I assume that the tracking web site won't show travel to and from Steve's home. Obvious reasons.  Also it is calculating each point to point in a straight line.  So the tracking site will be an underestimate?
Will the main web site keep us up to date with actual miles covered each day?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:05:20 pm »
The SPOT tracker does at the moment. It might be worthwhile activating a localised privacy setting, though there are several flats in the near vicinity.

TG has multiple GPSs and they are recording actual distances. The SPOT is to show where he is riding in real time so that people can go on the road and check he is actually pedalling the miles.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:06:46 pm »
You can google his address quite easily, so tracking anonymity is a bit of a waste of time.

« Reply #37 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:11:49 pm »
204.74 miles today  :thumbsup:

« Reply #38 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:26:04 pm »
Click on Map Layers. Piss about checking/unchecking weather Conditions and Cloud Cover whilst occasionally clicking Refresh Location. It will eventually go away. But will then come back again later just to annoy you  :P

Edit: 200 miles up!

Thanks.

However I've got both options unchecked yet it's still displaying temperature  >:(

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #39 on: 01 January, 2015, 08:25:02 pm »
204.74 miles today  :thumbsup:

222.7 on strava  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

« Reply #40 on: 01 January, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »
The 204.74 mile value would be better, since that's very close to the average distance he needs every day, 205.66 miles!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #41 on: 01 January, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »
Tommy rode 234 on Jan 1st

« Reply #42 on: 01 January, 2015, 09:18:58 pm »
You can google his address quite easily, so tracking anonymity is a bit of a waste of time.

Besides if somebody burgled his flat, he probably wouldn't notice the difference

« Reply #43 on: 01 January, 2015, 09:28:45 pm »
It was very, very windy here (Worcestershire) so I'm guessing it wasn't too disimilar where Steve was riding. That would have made today a lot harder than it should have been.

red marley

« Reply #44 on: 01 January, 2015, 11:36:42 pm »
Does anyone know how to download Steve's daily track from Strava? I have a premium account, but don't seem to be able to (possibly because he has privacy settings set to prevent this).

I have an idea for visualizing his progress, but would need access to each day's tracklog to do this.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #45 on: 01 January, 2015, 11:51:34 pm »
Does anyone know how to download Steve's daily track from Strava? I have a premium account, but don't seem to be able to (possibly because he has privacy settings set to prevent this).

I have an idea for visualizing his progress, but would need access to each day's tracklog to do this.
No idea.  I only have the cheapskate free account.  I just followed this tweet on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/yearrecord/status/550753792128733184?s=09

red marley

« Reply #46 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:31:19 am »
Ok, it looks like I had to wait for Steve (or rather I hope one of his helpers) to accept my 'follow request' before the download link appeared.

« Reply #47 on: 02 January, 2015, 07:37:11 am »
Cycled with him today for a while and we mentioned the possibility of a new forum name. I think Tommy2 was suggested
Please no. He's his own man. What's wrong with Teethgrinder?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 02 January, 2015, 08:38:19 am »
Please no. He's his own man. What's wrong with Teethgrinder?
Yup, no need (and he's got 2 names on the go already, that's enough for most of us!)

But my Two Ronnies nerve is tickled by the name Tommy2 Parry.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #49 on: 02 January, 2015, 08:56:01 am »

After your previous work I'm very much looking forward to this Jo.