Author Topic: Edmund\'s Folk go Paddling 200k on Sat 26th  (Read 1123 times)

Lars

Edmund\'s Folk go Paddling 200k on Sat 26th
« on: 24 May, 2012, 08:55:41 am »
Has anyone got entry confirmation for this event? I paid for it with PayPal, got the receipt the payment went through, but haven't heard anything from the organizer.

Chris S

Re: Edmund\'s Folk go Paddling 200k on Sat 26th
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:29:35 am »
Same here. Paypal auto-response, but nothing else.

Joining instructions, route sheets and gpx are all available on the auk site, but a short "welcome" email would be nice, I guess.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2012, 12:18:34 pm »
I paid by cheque and got the confirmation letter through on Monday of this week.
Pete.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:02:45 pm »
Lars - I did the same. I spoke with Peter last Sunday (before I had my confirmation letter), he's a member in the same club as me and asked him about my entry. He said the timing was o.k. so I'd expect your entry to be no issue. I have his email which I can send you although I think he may be on this forum under the name of ploddingpedro. If that's not right you'll soon find out, likewise I'm sure someone on here will correct me...
Pete.

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »
Peter isn't our plodding pedro.
He's a lovely man, but not that lovely man.

(I haven't had a response to my paypal entry either, but I reckon we'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen? I tend not to fret over this kinda thing)

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2012, 07:48:11 pm »
I entered by paypal, got a phone call, then the route sheet posted through but I entered some time ago. Months, in fact. My knee is playing silly buggers now so I emailed to pull out (I shall still be there, eating - sorry, serving - food) and he emailed back to say the entries were rather busy. I got in touch through the ctc website local to them.

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:16:39 pm »
..................... I think he may be on this forum under the name of ploddingpedro. If that's not right you'll soon find out, likewise I'm sure someone on here will correct me... Pete.
Yup (that's not right) - it ain't me!

The organiser is Peter Whiteley, a fellow C C Sudbury club member.

I have just telephoned and left a message on his answerphone asking him to ring me. I don't want to give out his 'phone number or e-mail without first speaking to him, but I'll make sure I make contact with him soonest. I think that although Peter has been an Organiser many times previously, this is the first time he's had the PayPal facility on his event. As ChrisS says, everything you need is actually on the website and I suspect Peter has assumed that the convention is that that's all that is necessary.

If anyone actually is short of something they need, post here and I'll make sure it's sorted if I can.

EDIT: I've just downloaded the Routesheet file myself and both 'phone and e-mail address are given therein. I've also downloaded the .gpx file. This delivers a single Track (note: NOT a Route) comprising 9,873 trackpoints; the event path crosses itself twice, i.e. a double figure of eight. This file won't go directly into all Garmins as a single file, since many Garmins have a 500 point limit per Track, so if you intend to use the Track, it may need a bit of work beforehand; leave yourself enough time to do this.

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2012, 08:38:16 am »
I now have sets of filtered files for both the 105km "Edmund's Kingdom" and 208km"Edmund's Folk Go Paddling" rides, in .gdb format (for Garmin Mapsource or Basecamp) or as plain .gpx format files. These deliver Tracks of less than 500 trackpoints plus waymarks for relevant Controls.

PM me with your e-mail address if you need them

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2012, 08:51:09 am »
..................... I think he may be on this forum under the name of ploddingpedro. If that's not right you'll soon find out, likewise I'm sure someone on here will correct me... Pete.
Yup (that's not right) - it ain't me!

The organiser is Peter Whiteley, a fellow C C Sudbury club member.

Peter's such a common name in the Sudbury club...
Pete aka Gibbo.

« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:33:23 am »
I entered late by paypal and haven't heard anything.  With the route sheet and gpx on the calendar I figured that if I find out tomorrow that I'm not entered I'll just have a pleasant day cycling 200km without the need to stop and write down any info answers.  I can live without the points.

« Reply #10 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:41:59 am »
I entered late by paypal and haven't heard anything.  With the route sheet and gpx on the calendar I figured that if I find out tomorrow that I'm not entered I'll just have a pleasant day cycling 200km without the need to stop and write down any info answers.  I can live without the points.
If you received a PayPal confirmation of payment, you're entered.

As I tried to explain above, as a newcomer to the PayPal aspect of this, Peter assumed that it was all you need to do, since everything you need is on the event page in the AUK Calendar - to get the full info re. where the start is etc., you need both the Routesheet and .gpx downloads (if you're a GPS user obviously).