Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 451835 times)

hillbilly

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #300 on: 19 January, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »
So when Steve is sticking to the flat, and Kurt has to go over some lumps on his races, will we be insinuating Steve is having it easy?

Or when Steve is cruising in temperatures of 20C and Kurt is melting in 40C?

Somehow I doubt it. 

A lot of this "oh, Steve is so much more worthy of this than Kurt" is silly.  Steve and Kurt each have their own challenges to overcome.  Steve is at a disadvantage now, but it won't be so all year. 

That Steve is keeping within touching distance whilst he has those disadvantages is the difference between the two; the test for Kurt will be what he is able to respond with when the tables turn.  Personally I think he won't be up for it, and Steve will set a consistent standard that Kurt will find difficult to match come April.

hillbilly

« Reply #301 on: 19 January, 2015, 12:34:02 pm »
Looking at Jo's OYTT plot, I wonder if Kurt's strategy isn't simply "ride more every day than Steve".  But is also to try and keep pace with Tommy's average record pace for as long as possible (i.e. have that as a "floor" on his daily distances). 

Another sensible strategy, given he is likely to be riding in conditions that support that kind of mileage (unlike UK based attempts, where you are more likely to fall behind that average pace in winter, or during the Blitz  :) ).

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #302 on: 19 January, 2015, 12:42:42 pm »
or during the Blitz  :) ).

LMAo

good luck to all three of them, I certainly would not attempt it... well... not without a hidden electric motor

« Reply #303 on: 19 January, 2015, 12:53:36 pm »
At some point I'd like to see a data blackout for a week or so. Kurt has the time difference to respond within, and 10 days at the end, the large amount of information helps Kurt.

paul851

« Reply #304 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:19:31 pm »
Kurt appears to have a big competitive streak looking at his 4:30 for the 100 yesterday riding in the fast group , I wonder if this could be his undoing later in the year seeing has he's planning on some races ,it could also be that he's banking miles now to allow recovery after the events ?

Paul

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #305 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:34:48 pm »
will the next person, to go for it simply spend 365 days in the velodrome

I know a chap who set the HPV 24 hour record on a 250m velodrome.  He said it nearly drove him mad.

Subsequent attempts by other riders have been on larger outdoor ovals.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hillbilly

« Reply #306 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:42:57 pm »
There is nothing in the UMCA rules to forbid using a track, but I anticipate they would amend the rules to forbid this if an individual came forward with this suggestion.  Or introduce a separate category.

That said, as the route requires a GPX tracklog, they'd need to use a device that tracks satellites sufficient accurately indoors - I doubt this is currently available technology, so currently "theoretical".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #307 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »
There is plenty of driverless equipment (dump trucks, etc) being driven around minesites courtesy of landbased GPS. You don't need satellites.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #308 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:47:42 pm »
Kurt appears to have a big competitive streak looking at his 4:30 for the 100 yesterday riding in the fast group , I wonder if this could be his undoing later in the year seeing has he's planning on some races ,it could also be that he's banking miles now to allow recovery after the events ?

Paul

23mph isn't fast for a group on the flat, especially sitting in. It's conversational speed.

hillbilly

« Reply #309 on: 19 January, 2015, 01:51:36 pm »
There is plenty of driverless equipment (dump trucks, etc) being driven around minesites courtesy of landbased GPS. You don't need satellites.

Didn't realise that.  I suppose there is also the possibility of setting up sensors that confirms when you go through points on the track and records them (i.e. you don't need GPS).

Ban this sick filth  ;)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #310 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:16:22 pm »
There's an aesthetic dimension to this, and other record attempts. That Guy Martin tandem 24 hour record sanctioned by the UMCA was a glaring example of something that looked like a record, but was very iffy underneath.

Guy martin retreats to his workshop to build a recumbrant fitted with a teasmaid and a potty and books Silverston for the year to go for the record in 2016.

There's already rumblings on an Australian site about riders going for this next year when ever they want to start, Steve should be proud for kickstarting this whole bit of history back to life  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #311 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:20:31 pm »
I imagine it might be possible in USAnia to borrow an oval race track for prolonged periods but elsewhere big ovals are in use nearly all the time, or at least during the working week.

« Reply #312 on: 19 January, 2015, 02:39:05 pm »
There's an aesthetic dimension to this, and other record attempts. That Guy Martin tandem 24 hour record sanctioned by the UMCA was a glaring example of something that looked like a record, but was very iffy underneath.

Guy martin retreats to his workshop to build a recumbrant fitted with a teasmaid and a potty and books Silverston for the year to go for the record in 2016.

After a couple of days they realise it's impossible. So they put air tanks in the recumbent and go for the Human Powered Submarine Speed Record. Or has he done that? I lose track.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #313 on: 19 January, 2015, 03:26:04 pm »
To the best of my knowledge no-one's done a Human-Powered Submarine record for more than 200 metres.  The whole sub thing has become somewhat moribund of late but I've heard the odd rumour.  It wouldn't surprise me if the lads from Toronto had a go after lifting the Sikorsky prize for HP Helichoptering.

hillbilly

« Reply #314 on: 19 January, 2015, 04:40:09 pm »
all very intetesting, but not sure what it has to do with Tarzan's escapades....

« Reply #315 on: 19 January, 2015, 04:43:35 pm »
all very intetesting, but not sure what it has to do with Tarzan's escapades....

Perhaps folk got bored with his straight lines.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #316 on: 19 January, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »
At some point I'd like to see a data blackout for a week or so. Kurt has the time difference to respond within, and 10 days at the end, the large amount of information helps Kurt.
A nice idea. I guess it would be down to UMCA to agree.

Or we could crowdsource flights to Florida for Steve in December.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #317 on: 19 January, 2015, 05:59:39 pm »
will the next person, to go for it simply spend 365 days in the velodrome

I know a chap who set the HPV 24 hour record on a 250m velodrome.  He said it nearly drove him mad.

Subsequent attempts by other riders have been on larger outdoor ovals.

I've done a few 24hour speed skating races, on a 400m track. It was not only psychologically maddening, my hip would completely seize up due to the cornering pressure.

« Reply #318 on: 19 January, 2015, 08:03:46 pm »
'The blitz' didn't start until 1940. I remember it well. It was my grandfather's 46th birthday. As he kept telling us, he got to work on the 8th September to hear London had been bombed.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #319 on: 19 January, 2015, 09:11:16 pm »

The Department for Sneaky Bastardry says:

"Steve should fit his tracker with a tinfoil hat and wait until the last minute before uploading the GPS data to Strava."

« Reply #320 on: 19 January, 2015, 09:55:15 pm »
But does he not have to have the tracker reporting so that UMCA can, if they choose to, send someone to take a look at what he's doing?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #321 on: 19 January, 2015, 10:01:09 pm »
Oh!  It must have fallen off in that caff...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #322 on: 19 January, 2015, 10:57:43 pm »
The UMCA could rule that future tracks should be sent to them, and a 10 day time lag imposed before they were published. 

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #323 on: 19 January, 2015, 11:07:39 pm »
So you're all willing to wait  for 10 days until Steve's distance is published? Sod that.

There may be a time when being the 'pacer' is an advantage, a year's a long time and there's still a long way to go.

« Reply #324 on: 20 January, 2015, 12:13:17 am »
So you're all willing to wait  for 10 days until Steve's distance is published? Sod that.

There may be a time when being the 'pacer' is an advantage, a year's a long time and there's still a long way to go.

I'd be happy enough with a weekly update on Steve's progress in the Comic, with Tarzan only having access to it by surface mail. I wouldn't buy it though, I'd just sneak a peek in John Menzies.