Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452657 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #375 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:24:10 pm »
If this doesn't convince you, I'll throw in one more thought: Steve himself was not a man of the internet until he attempted the AUK points record. He found the entirely self-supported long miles socially isolating, especially by end of summer, and if I recall correctly cited joining yacf as a big help in seeing it through to the end.

Yes, I was thinking the very same thing today.

We all know the difference in what it feels like to be part of a support network and when we're not. I think it's a huge thing that he knows he's connected, really connected to other people in this, practically and psychologically. I think it will give him a lot of spiritual strength over the coming year, if it hasn't done already.
Garry Broad

Euan Uzami

« Reply #376 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:39:39 pm »
I would imagine that Tarzan is thinking the same thing about himself.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if Steve puts big mileage into Kurt consistently.  I do suspect he will be able to chip back 10 miles a day when the conditions in the UK get more favourable.  That will see him win, provided Kurt doesn't put the throttle down in Jan/Feb, Nov/Dec. 

As someone pointed out below, I would have imagined Kurt might have "made hay whilst the sun shines" and sought to stick 50 miles into Steve every day whilst there is such a huge difference between the conditions he is riding in, and those Steve is overcoming.  That he isn't is a tactical blunder in my opinion, but time will tell.

It's fun seeing them tussle.

It could be that if Kurt isn't at least x miles ahead by sometime in March/April then he's doomed.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #377 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:51:03 pm »
I would imagine that Tarzan is thinking the same thing about himself.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if Steve puts big mileage into Kurt consistently.  I do suspect he will be able to chip back 10 miles a day when the conditions in the UK get more favourable.  That will see him win, provided Kurt doesn't put the throttle down in Jan/Feb, Nov/Dec. 

As someone pointed out below, I would have imagined Kurt might have "made hay whilst the sun shines" and sought to stick 50 miles into Steve every day whilst there is such a huge difference between the conditions he is riding in, and those Steve is overcoming.  That he isn't is a tactical blunder in my opinion, but time will tell.

It's fun seeing them tussle.

It could be that if Kurt isn't at least x miles ahead by sometime in March/April then he's doomed.

Ahem.

It is only the 21st of January.

There is some time to go before the end and anything can happen.

Calm yourselves.

H

P.S.

COME ON STEVE

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #378 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:28:04 pm »
Some struggle with the concept of a test match, a sporting event that lasts for five days.
Here we have an event that will last for 365 days!  And I'm going to be glued to it and it's going to be glorious.

Admittedly, there is less chance of it ending in a draw than the cricket.

I have a fancy in my mind that it would be entirely excellent if both complete the year but decide to wheel across the line hand in virtual hand to get to the exact mileage for both. A fitting end to what would be a monumental achievement, one which very very, very few could emulate. Won't happen like that I know.

That would work if they were riding the same course. It was fine for the first London Marathon where, presumably, the athletes knew each other, but it would be much too contrived when they are thousands of miles apart and are incommunicado for about 90% of the time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

red marley

« Reply #379 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:35:49 pm »
At a conservative estimate I think there is about a 0.25% error in the GPS data for distances. So with an 80,000 mile record, that would mean anything within about 200 miles by the end of the year is effectively a dead heat.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #380 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:36:35 pm »
Ford tried to arrange a tie at Le Mans in 1966.  That didn't work out either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #381 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:41:09 pm »
He's stopped underneath the Golden Arches at Frostproof

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #382 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:59:26 pm »
Wot Hummers sed.

I think each rider needs to stick to his own schedule and not worry what the other is doing. Both riders have their plans and deviating from the schedule to chase the other rider could be counter-productive. Besides, even if one is 1000 miles ahead with a month to go, a broken collarbone could quickly change things
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #383 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:05:57 pm »
Some struggle with the concept of a test match, a sporting event that lasts for five days.
Here we have an event that will last for 365 days!  And I'm going to be glued to it and it's going to be glorious.

At least 365 days.

In November I half-jokingly asked Steve if he was going to carry on into 2016 to emulate Tommy and get the 100,000 mile record. He certainly didn't dismiss it, just said something like first things first and he'd see how things turned out in 2015.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #384 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:53:51 am »

I have a fancy in my mind that it would be entirely excellent if both complete the year but decide to wheel across the line hand in virtual hand to get to the exact mileage for both. A fitting end to what would be a monumental achievement, one which very very, very few could emulate. Won't happen like that I know.

That would work if they were riding the same course. It was fine for the first London Marathon where, presumably, the athletes knew each other, but it would be much too contrived when they are thousands of miles apart and are incommunicado for about 90% of the time.

Lemond and Hinault, Top of Alpe D'Huez '85. Nuff said.

« Reply #385 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:07:52 am »

« Reply #386 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:13:11 am »
Considering the time zones each of them are in, all Tarzan needs to do is match Steve and add a couple at the end of each day.

I propose they “Change ends” at half time.

red marley

« Reply #387 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:39:36 am »
Nothing uploaded on Strava for the 21st yet (2:39am his local time at time of writing). Did Kurt have a very long day yesterday or some problem with the track?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #388 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:44:46 am »
He was about 180miles at Sebring when I went to bed @12. at the point where he turned left and headed east - not far from where his overnight stop is shown.

« Reply #389 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:50:07 am »
Nothing uploaded on Strava for the 21st yet (2:39am his local time at time of writing). Did Kurt have a very long day yesterday or some problem with the track?

Still nothing at 07:50. Nothing on his FB page either.

« Reply #390 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:38:16 am »
This might have something to do with it. Posted on Hoppo's Facebook page a couple of hours a go...

Kurt is suffering from road rash as he collides with a vehicle yesterday!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #391 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:57:05 am »
Damn, hope he's ok. Much as I want Steve to win, I'd rather it wasn't by default because Tarzan crashed out.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #392 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:09:56 am »
^^^ This very much so. I hope he's ok :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #393 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:33:32 am »
I'm almost tempted to log in to FaceBook to post a supportive message, but that would involve logging in to FaceBook.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #394 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:34:20 am »
That's not good :(

2 offs in 2 days? He fell off the recumbent on Tuesday

I checked the tracker a few times between 10 and midnight, he seemed to be moving OK at midnight when I went to bed, but there was a longish period at 0mph at around 11pm. As that was by a Macdonalds I thought he may have been feeding, his pace afterwards seemed OK. Hope the stop wasn't due to something bad.

:-\  :(

Chris S

« Reply #395 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:49:11 am »
That is of course something that Tarzan has to cope with that Steve doesn't - American Drivers. We complain about motorists here, but...

« Reply #396 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:52:01 am »
Not that it makes it any better but it appears that yesterdays off was self induced, something to do with a shifter malfunction.

MarkA

« Reply #397 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
That is of course something that Tarzan has to cope with that Steve doesn't - American Drivers. We complain about motorists here, but...

I have read two books by round the world cyclists - one ride in the 1970s and the other recent.  Lots of differences between the 1970s and now as you would expect but one thing common to both was that the worst drivers in the USA were in Florida.  Both authors made quite a big thing about how bad Florida was and I recall that at least one was run off the road. 

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #398 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:00:06 am »
Posted yesterday (21st) at 01:42:

Another 3 Flats Day - Flatted Rear on Giant - Laid the Bent out Flat - and Flatted the front on the Cervelo. Also run off the road twice. All in All I'm happy I was able to get in over 175 miles today and can still walk. .

Sounds like he s OK but the hazards we come across from car traffic are just as bad in the US (if not worse).

H

« Reply #399 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:10:04 am »
Kurt's approach, riding at higher speeds in a more aggressive position on a Cervelo TT bike might put him at greater risk of traffic incidents.