Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450499 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #925 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:58:27 pm »
After 201 miles I doubt that I  would have the energy , even if I had the desire and the opportunity.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #926 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:09:44 pm »
I'm not on bacefook but if I want to know what Tarzan's up to, his page is where I look.

He has two pages, one for personal stuff, one for the record attempt. I'm only interested in the record attempt so I only follow the latter. I guess those who don't use Facebook regularly might not be tuned in to such distinctions, and maybe Kurt himself isn't fully Facebook-savvy or he might be more circumspect about who he allows to be his 'friend' and what he shares there.

In any case, I wouldn't have heard about his relationship troubles if they hadn't been mentioned in this thread.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #927 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:15:37 pm »
I'm not on bacefook but if I want to know what Tarzan's up to, his page is where I look.

He has two pages, one for personal stuff, one for the record attempt. I'm only interested in the record attempt so I only follow the latter. I guess those who don't use Facebook regularly might not be tuned in to such distinctions, and maybe Kurt himself isn't fully Facebook-savvy or he might be more circumspect about who he allows to be his 'friend' and what he shares there.

In any case, I wouldn't have heard about his relationship troubles if they hadn't been mentioned in this thread.
He appears unaware of FB's privacy settings, but then, lots of folk are.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #928 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:19:49 pm »
He appears unaware of FB's privacy settings, but then, lots of folk are.

Indeed, though all you really need to know is that regardless of what you actually do with the settings, you have no privacy from  a) FaceBook  b) friends of friends who have no respect for / understanding of privacy  or  c) anyone who shares the same computer/physical space as (b)

citoyen

« Reply #929 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:36:28 pm »
Or (d) anyone who quotes stuff you post on facebook on other internet forums.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #930 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:54:00 pm »
How old is email now?

How often do you STILL get bulk emails with 30 addresses of people you (mostly) didn't know?

even if facebook settings *were* easily understood, there will always be some that dont bother.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #931 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:57:53 pm »
Ok, I've removed the quote as it seems to be pissing some of you off - However like others OTP who are also following Kurt Searvogal as opposed to Tarzan Rides HAMR:

1. I came across the Kurt Searvogel page a while before the Tarzan rides HAMR page
2. The threads on the page had nothing to suggest it was a personal page, the majority were about his build up for the year record.
3. There was a follow option
4. There's no difference in appearance between the Kurt Searvogal page and the Steve Abraham page
5. Kurt is obviously aware that it's not just close friends and family that follow Kurt Searvogel but he's still added the post

So WTF is bugging everyone?

Carry on with your discussion as to how many sausages Steve has got in his back pocket - far more interesting!

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #932 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:03:23 pm »
After 201 miles I doubt that I  would have the energy , even if I had the desire and the opportunity.

After 201 miles per day for 30 days, I think I'd lack even the apparatus.

citoyen

« Reply #933 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:14:57 pm »
Ok, I've removed the quote as it seems to be pissing some of you off...

Not pissing me off as such, I just didn't think it was appropriate here.

Tbh, it was RedEyeJedi's comment about being amateurish that irked me more than your quote. I don't actually feel that strongly about it, I was just trying to explain why I thought that was wrong. Sorry if it came across as being a bit sanctimonious.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #934 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:28:55 pm »
OK, understood and my apologies. It's now been mentioned on a social media site so it's going to get discussed - even on this forum.

On the year record board there are separate threads for every day of Steve's ride,his kit, his nutrition, how's he looking, etc. - only one thread about Tarzan. Everything about him is going to come up here.

LMT

« Reply #935 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:31:11 pm »
Sad news for sure.

It is what it is.

Now on with the record, go Tarzan.

P.S With respect to a record that I mentioned earlier up thread, he holds the Sebring 12hr record.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #936 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:37:28 pm »
...and demonstration of his determination for the record?

« Reply #937 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »

Tbh, it was RedEyeJedi's comment about being amateurish that irked me more than your quote. I don't actually feel that strongly about it, I was just trying to explain why I thought that was wrong. Sorry if it came across as being a bit sanctimonious.

How is it not appropriate?   He has posted it on Facebook to a load of people that he has just accepted as friends in the last week.... He must know they are there to follow his cycling and do not know him personally..   The fact we are all from the Uk probably gave it away.

I stand by my comment-   It's amateurish and a bit odd too.    Yes, professional sportsman make these kind of announcements through social media..... No, they do not do it on their personal page and then leave the comments open so we can see all their friends and families views on the subject.   I would hazard a guess he will be visited by the normal social media trolls and will end up having to pull the post.   

It's a bit naive to think this would clear anything up ... Not knowing him personally it did nothing for me other than making me think he's a bit of a twonk.   Giving your marriage up for a bike - seems like a poor excuse to me!   

Like it or not these guys are in the spotlight ..their personal circumstances are very relevant in this kind of record attempt and if something is announced in this way then it's up for discussion.   What is put out from Steve and tarzan should be moderated as such....in a professional way like Steves team have done.

If Tarzan wins this thing, which it looks like he very well could .... Will he be the man who "gave up his wife for the record"?   That is not my view by the way, but I think this announcement harms him personally.   

« Reply #938 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:11:03 pm »

How is it not appropriate?   He has posted it on Facebook to a load of people that he has just accepted as friends in the last week.... He must know they are there to follow his cycling and do not know him personally..   The fact we are all from the Uk probably gave it away.

I stand by my comment-   It's amateurish and a bit odd too.    Yes, professional sportsman make these kind of announcements through social media..... No, they do not do it on their personal page and then leave the comments open so we can see all their friends and families views on the subject.   I would hazard a guess he will be visited by the normal social media trolls and will end up having to pull the post.   

It's a bit naive to think this would clear anything up ... Not knowing him personally it did nothing for me other than making me think he's a bit of a twonk.   Giving your marriage up for a bike - seems like a poor excuse to me!   

Like it or not these guys are in the spotlight ..their personal circumstances are very relevant in this kind of record attempt and if something is announced in this way then it's up for discussion.   What is put out from Steve and tarzan should be moderated as such....in a professional way like Steves team have done.

If Tarzan wins this thing, which it looks like he very well could .... Will he be the man who "gave up his wife for the record"?   That is not my view by the way, but I think this announcement harms him personally.

What you think is your own personal preference. And we've all got them. And it's the internet. And we all express them. But mostly, our personal preferences about this that and the other is all superfluous meaningless hot air and social media entertainment. Big deal. And to the riders I imagine our personal opinions matter sweet FA. But we still think they're really important, don't we? Like I am doing here :-) Heaven knows why though.

The only thing that matters to me personally is this: are the riders riding within the rules laid down by the UMCA [rules which they will have both read and fully understood prior to starting and in doing so have accepted unconditionally]. Anything else is just stress.
Garry Broad

« Reply #939 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:20:30 pm »
 It's been entertaining reading the above soap opera, but apart from that, I couldn't give a.... :facepalm:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #940 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:23:59 pm »
No reason you can't start some separate threads, Windy.   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #941 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:26:40 pm »
I am reading this forum for entertainment, replying to posts for recreation and following the riders out of interest, and slight awe for the attempt.I take everything I read on social media or forums with a large pinch of salt and certainly don't  expect any stranger reading my comments to view them as anything more than waffle.

What I don't get is why anyone would get snippy about discussing this on here or quoting from Facebook .... It's been put in the public domain by Tarzan..... He either intended me to read it and discuss it - or he is very naive to how the internet works

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #942 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:26:57 pm »
Who gives a hoot who (or if) consorts with whom?

IMHO private lives are, and should remain, PRIVATE.

I think nobody is enriched by this kind of discussion.

« Reply #943 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:31:20 pm »

That was kind of my point and to be honest his personal life isn't being judged by comments here.   It's his decision to publically post about that is being discussed.   This is a pretty sensible conversation going on - no one is slagging him off here as far as I can see.

Anyway - I've said my bit .... Back to the cycling!

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #944 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:33:41 pm »
No reason you can't start some separate threads, Windy.

S'pose I could Basil, I was quite happy with everything about the guy being in one place and just scrolling down the latest comments tho' TBH, so it seemed natural to carry on discussion here. The discussion had already started on the relationship issue and give it a few more pages and it'll pass and we'll be back to talking about the rider and the ride - I didn't get the same responses when I posted a picture of him holding up a Macdonald's bag which I also took from his personal page rather than the HAMR page - but hey, you can't please all the people all the time.

« Reply #945 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:04:50 pm »

That was kind of my point and to be honest his personal life isn't being judged by comments here.   It's his decision to publically post about that is being discussed.   This is a pretty sensible conversation going on - no one is slagging him off here as far as I can see.

Anyway - I've said my bit .... Back to the cycling!

I'm sorry but this made me think of other (in)famous american cyclists with a reputation for dumping ladies - if he did and it wasn't that she got bored/frustrated with cycling being more important than family (or with his income being sacrificed to a dream).
For what it's worth the last two french presidents have been no better - and Sarko is well capable of announcing things like that through Facebook. And i don't respect them anymore than Kurt

Public figures don't have private lives anymore - probably never did. They just have secrets!!

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #946 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:38:27 pm »
Your life stops being private when you make an announcement on facebook. If you don't want it out there then don't post it. The thing is, however insignificant you think this is, what does it show about Kurt's determination to get this record? He's put aside something that may have been troubling him and playing on his mind, said it, got it out in the open and closed the door. Perhaps he feels better for it and more focussed on the job in hand. Whether it's discussed here or not, the message is out there that a year on the bike is more important than 25 years of marriage. The psychology can be the stumbling block for a lot of people. He's made it clear that he means business.

LMT

« Reply #947 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:45:16 pm »
Now it's time to make history.

That's what I'd be saying to him if I was his crew chief.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #948 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:47:16 pm »
You'd think that talking to divorce lawyers would take some time away from the bike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #949 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:50:11 pm »
A couple who've grown apart over the years a mutual separation with a lot of respect between the individuals and an understanding of each others needs? - He's out on the bike for a year living in a campervan and she's got the house why does it all have to start now?