Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450536 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1275 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:25:08 am »
I have mixed feelings about this. 

IIRC, Tarzan initially walked away because he didn't like the rules.   I understand he came back when a few things had changed to his liking*.   He's managed to leave his tracker on numerous times during transport and now has had a beer.   Oh, and to 'have a beer' usually** means multiple beverages.   How many did he actually have?

As for whether an advantage has been gained:   Is a psychological boost an advantage?   Has chilling out with a few stubbies improved his state of mind and/or strengthened his resolve?   Did he sleep better for it therefore felt better prepared next day?   Who knows?

I don't believe that he didn't have prior knowledge of, or the ability to have prior knowledge of the rules.   His argument is weak.   Further, to claim that he didn't realise that the HAM'R rules applied when his facebook page says boldly 'Tarzan rides the HAM'R' is stretching credibility somewhat in my opinion.   Also, he might well have known, almost certainly in fact, about the photo of Steve with a bottle of wine in the background.   

* Cynically, I might have said 'advantage'.
** Not always, but usually.

« Reply #1276 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:35:27 am »
I note from his facebook page that he has recently posted to say that he has documentation stating that all legal substances can be consumer and his interpretation of that is that this includes beer.   

paul851

« Reply #1277 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:02:16 am »
Kurt does seem very media savvy in my opinion and a little spat like this would very likely attract the attention of the main stream media and raise his profile and focus some attention on the record attempt, especially if the UMCA impose a mileage reduction , or am I just being to cynical ?  :)

Paul

« Reply #1278 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:10:20 am »
Oh, obviously no advantage has been gained. It's just depends on how officious UCMA wants to be about the rules. A ten-mile penalty for his lunchtime beer would be bearable, as long as they agreed that the participants can have an off-the-bike beer when they feel the need. I hope they do; it seems just bloody petty to say they (and their teams) can't have a beer for a year!

Agreed. I don't think he should be penalised for the one he had either. Reading the FB posts - there has clearly been some misunderstanding.
I say change the rule to allow the occasional beer and "pretend" the other "incident" never happened. That would be in the true spirit of the challenge and I serioulsy doubt Steve would have a problem with it as I guess he might quite like a beer at some point too.

« Reply #1279 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:12:11 am »

As for whether an advantage has been gained:   Is a psychological boost an advantage?   Has chilling out with a few stubbies improved his state of mind and/or strengthened his resolve?   Did he sleep better for it therefore felt better prepared next day?   Who knows?

Yebbut he doesn't drink TEA.....

« Reply #1280 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:13:27 am »
Posted by Tarzan a couple of days ago on the Road.cc facebook page

"I need to raise some extra cash and I heard that alot of brits were trash talking - so I've come up with a little game for all the big talkers - If anyone is will to put up $200 - they can come ride with me for a day. If they can keep up with me for the day they can keep the $200 - if they can't I get to have a great room, dinner and beer on them ;-)."

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1281 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:18:10 am »
And a lot of British are also cheering him on, impressed with his efforts. Even though they would prefer to see Steve win.

go tarzan

GO STEVE!!!!!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1282 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:23:12 am »
Posted by Tarzan a couple of days ago on the Road.cc facebook page

"I need to raise some extra cash and I heard that alot of brits were trash talking - so I've come up with a little game for all the big talkers - If anyone is will to put up $200 - they can come ride with me for a day. If they can keep up with me for the day they can keep the $200 - if they can't I get to have a great room, dinner and beer on them ;-)."

The failure with that argument is that if the punter didn't keep up with Tarzan, they wouldn't be there to foot the bill.

See? I said he hadn't thought this thing out properly.  :P

More seriously, there's rules and there's credibility. Everyone following these two blokes knows full well that they are both cycling prodigious distances and hitherto are ahead of the asking rate. If, at some stage, UMCA step in and say "Rule infraction: 10 mile penalty!" or some such, everyone will still know how far they have cycled because we have the internet and Strava/jo and multiple other people tracking their rides with infinitesimal accuracy.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about electronic accuracy that alcohol. If there are some miles in either the tracker's or Strava's totals which have not been ridden, then they should be clearly flagged. I confess not having involved myself in the minutiae of their electronic recording but it seems to me that if any such discrepancies are not addressed straight away then they could "disappear" and, if left until the end of the year to rectify, are much more likely to lead to disputes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1283 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:30:28 am »
Quote from: Inspector Morse

BEER is food, Lewis!

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1284 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:49:43 am »
I spent some time working in the USA. In hindsight, the ‘life attitude’ of some is reactionary and confrontational.
I’m afraid to say it rubbed off a little.

Apologies to all I have offended in the past.  :(

« Reply #1285 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:44:31 am »
I liked Tarzan's offer, it reminded me of Tom Sawyer and whitewashing the fence. Get fast loud mouth Brits to fly over, give you $200, and then draft them for 9.5hrs, then rip their legs off in the last 30 mins.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1286 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:02:09 am »
Trash talking?  Not here, I don't think.  Not seriously, or, at least, not more than one or two posters occasionally.  Most of us are, naturally, supporting our randonneuring friend who so many have ridden with, but also supporting the excellent effort of Kurt.

I hope there isn't partisan trash talking elsewhere on the web, because that's bullshit, and I feel embarrassed that Kurt should now feel so angered by Brits.

He made a stupid mistake.  Particularly stupid as we'd already been discussing the issue wrt Steve & team's position.  Look, a year without alcohol isn't such a big deal compared with everything else that they've sacrificed.  But yeah, Kurt agreed to the rules, and it could be regarded as favouritism to let him get away with an infraction.  Equally, it's so silly that I don't think a single offence (has it been a single one?  He's not been so overheated before, so it could be) should be penalised, so long as he apologises and doesn't do it again.

Go Kurt!
Getting there...

« Reply #1287 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:09:55 am »
Whilst fully supporting Steve Obv, Kurt has a lot of people here who admire his performance and sportsmanship. Not aware of any intention to insult him, and hope that this does not happen here or elsewhere, and we have the makings of an epic cycling event on the go.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1288 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:15:36 am »
Not aware of any intention to insult him, and hope that this does not happen here or elsewhere

Agree, very strongly!

« Reply #1289 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:33:03 am »
It's interesting contemplating their backgrounds: Steve is steeped in Audax, as such he is used to remembering controls etc however tired and distracted. By contrast, Kurt is an UM racer, with a different set of priorities on a ride. I don't have any problems cutting Kurt some slack in respect of forgetting to turn off GPS etc (as long as it can be fixed). I'm not sure I'd remember after my 40th day of riding 200 miles.....

(not that I will evah know what that feels like)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1290 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:35:59 am »
I hope there isn't partisan trash talking elsewhere on the web, because that's bullshit

There's some in the comments on road.cc and Strava. I find it all a bit tiresome and just ignore it. I like Kurt's response.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1291 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:38:17 am »
For Steve,

If you can keep your head when all about you
  Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
  But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
  Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
  And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
  If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
  And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
  Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
  And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
  And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
  And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
  To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
  Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
  Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
  If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
  With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
  And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son.

Rudyard Kipling.

For Kurt,

If you think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you've lost
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!

Walter D Wintle.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1292 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:56:30 am »
I hope there isn't partisan trash talking elsewhere on the web, because that's bullshit

There's some in the comments on road.cc and Strava. I find it all a bit tiresome and just ignore it. I like Kurt's response.
Amchair cyclists (he says, from his armchair, with both main bikes off the road, and too ill to ride).  Yeah, I hope the idiots don't get his back up.  There's a lot of transatlantic support (both ways, I hope), and I don't want Kurt to feel we all want him to fail.  His sense of humour is definitely bearing up, though.
Getting there...

« Reply #1293 on: 20 February, 2015, 12:03:02 pm »
As mentioned before this is turning out to be the cycling event of the year, its great I'm hooked!  :P

Personally I find it fascinating how this is turning out, two riders poles apart in terms of the way they tackle the event competing.

I wish them both the very best of luck and may the best man win!

Eddington Number 75

« Reply #1294 on: 20 February, 2015, 01:28:00 pm »
07:30 in Florida and no sign of Kurt yet. Looking at his vid on FB, he is suffering from a cold. I guess that between the cold and the wind, yesterdays efforts may have taken it out of him a bit.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #1295 on: 20 February, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
As Climberruss says - latest F/B video - he has a cold and a sore throat "it's a sick day!".

Looks like he rode for a bit but the winds over the bridges are too strong for him to ride.  He's then driving the r/v as Alicia didn't want to drive in the wind.

Both sound a bit down!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1296 on: 20 February, 2015, 01:50:53 pm »
:(

Hope he feels better and gets a decent ride in. The argument on Facebook with the UMCA official won't have helped his mood much either.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1297 on: 20 February, 2015, 01:52:52 pm »
Tracker's just been switched on :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1298 on: 20 February, 2015, 01:53:58 pm »

As usual on the web, its only a tiny minority being pathetic little dicks. Well done Shu for being the voice of reason:

Shusanah Pillinger
There are also a lot of people defending all the riders.

.... and:

I'm just trying to put some perspective on the situation not defend trolls. But out of a lot of people some will never write pleasant things. I don't disagree with you but nothing will change this internet behaviour.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1299 on: 20 February, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »
It's a "sick day"? So that means he'll only be doing 200 miles today instead of 250? ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."