Author Topic: "Magnestick" invention to stop children falling out of ski chairlifts  (Read 1445 times)

Was just reading nice relaxing "Mountain Report" about Meribel ski resort in the summer time when I noticed this:

Mottaret’s lift company is equipping two chairlifts, the Combes and Arolles, with a new Magnestick system which will allow children to travel on these lifts in greater safety (children in ski lessons will be given a special magnetic bib which will ‘stick’ them to the back of the chairlift)

Well, excuse me but does anybody else think this safety business has gone a bit far??! Poor little French kiddiewinkles! Treating them like bags of cement. Do the children usually leap out of their seats towards the ground far below?

Jezza

Do the children usually leap out of their seats towards the ground far below?

Um... I did once, off a chairlift in Bulgaria. It was further than it looked  :'(

But yes. Load of bollocks.

I could have done with that system in Colorado years ago! The chair lift was so antiquated and rose almost vertically at alarming speed. I was thrown out at a fair height after battling to stay on for a few seconds. Fortunately there was several feet of snow below  ;D
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I should think more pissed English adults fall out of chairlifts in Meribel than children.

What a superb idea.... and so many uses!

No more "grounding" of children, just stick them to the fridge!

Presumably the polarity reverses at just the right moment at the top to shove the  kid successfully onto the piste  ::-)