Author Topic: "Crap Towns" returns  (Read 13829 times)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
Re: "Crap Towns" returns
« Reply #125 on: 22 October, 2013, 11:16:10 pm »
Otway's from Aylesbury.

Good old Otway.
Not seen him for a while, I was one of his Abbey Rd backing singers.  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #126 on: 22 October, 2013, 11:20:05 pm »
Other than ducks, it is literally the only thing I know about Aylesbury.
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #127 on: 22 October, 2013, 11:27:14 pm »
I dreamed last night (among other things) that I walked from Crumpsall to Middleton (as I used to do when I was working there), then carried on out of town to the North, up ?Rochdale Road

You took the wrong turning. My bike shop is just off Market Place, about 100 yards from the Assheton Arms.  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #128 on: 22 October, 2013, 11:43:16 pm »
Nobody mentioned Plymouth, or Camborne ???

Cambourne!  :sick:

Almost everybody smoking fags, too fat to walk without walking sticks or riding mobility scooters and buying pasties.
It's like Earlestown.

Widnes, Blackpool, Burnley, Prescot, Bridgewater, Taunton, Wigton, Carlisle, just off the top of my head.
The list is endless really. I don't find the U.K to be a particularly nice place overall to be honest.
              Up to my neck in pain"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #129 on: 23 October, 2013, 06:32:55 am »
Cambourne used to have a very large bike shop when I was down there, so it can't be that bad.

Redruth is worse.  There was an old TV advert that showed a woman calling her man on a mobile from various places in the UK.  When she said she was in Redruth she was travelling down an escalator.  WTF?  If they had an escalator in Redruth, the locals would start worshipping the magic stairway to heaven.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #130 on: 23 October, 2013, 09:16:28 am »
Cambourne used to have a very large bike shop when I was down there, so it can't be that bad.

It's now probably a shop selling second hand mattresses or something equally as depressing.

It does have the Cambourne Deli though which is a nice little Deli, Sandwich shop.

Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #131 on: 23 October, 2013, 12:45:12 pm »
Otway's from Aylesbury.
Yeah. So's Wild Willy Barrett. They hung around with a bunch which included older brothers of people I was at school with.

He used to empty my parent's dustbin.

All three venues up to 1984 have been demolished, although the 1975-84 venue was brand new in 1975.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #132 on: 04 November, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »
Cant see why they put York in. If I were to nominate one for Yorkshire it would be Hull, Doncaster or Castleford. I quite like Bradford.
I can - despite living in one of the more 'desirable' suburbs of York (Copmanthorpe, for those who know it) the fact remains that if you're not a visitor/tourist, the council just don't give a shit. The city's motto should be "Welcome to York. Bring money!"

Someone, I forget who, described York as 'Medieval Disneyland' - they were more right than they could possibly imagine.

Every time I go to Hull I find myself wishing that the Luftwaffe would finish what they started about 70 years ago (ditto for Donny - nothing wrong with the place that an orbital strike wouldn't fix)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #133 on: 04 November, 2013, 02:26:53 pm »
Sounds like York suffers from a similar curse of tourist stardom to Bath, just about four centuries earlier. I'd imagine Florence, Bruges and so on are afflicted too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #134 on: 04 November, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »
Sounds like York suffers from a similar curse of tourist stardom to Bath, just about four centuries earlier. I'd imagine Florence, Bruges and so on are afflicted too.
That, and a city council that a) doesn't give a shit about the people who live here, and b) couldn't find its collective arse with an atlas.

The only reason I've not moved to either Leeds or (horror of horrors) back up to County Durham is that I need to get a bunch of stuff done on the house before I can even think about selling it.

It wasn't so bad when I first move up here ('94-ish) - now, I'll only venture into town if I absolutely have to, otherwise I take my business to Leeds.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #135 on: 04 November, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »
Having lived in both York and Leeds (and Selby, which, interestingly, Fulford, a suburb of York is), I can say I prefer York.  By a very long way.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #136 on: 04 November, 2013, 03:23:21 pm »
Having lived in both York and Leeds (and Selby, which, interestingly, Fulford, a suburb of York is), I can say I prefer York.  By a very long way.

Ditto, though I haven't lived in either Selby or Fulford :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #137 on: 09 November, 2013, 09:51:11 am »
This town should finish off this topic.
Clacton-on-Sea
It really is the end of the universe

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #138 on: 09 November, 2013, 11:34:10 am »
Surely not. The best excuse for a take of delay on the Bristol to Amsterdam flight was due to 'congestion over Clacton'.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #139 on: 09 November, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »
Surely not. The best excuse for a take of delay on the Bristol to Amsterdam flight was due to 'congestion over Clacton'.
If that's not the title of a Half Man Half Biscuit song, it bloody well should be :)