Author Topic: Mercury Prize  (Read 1382 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Mercury Prize
« on: 21 September, 2018, 10:18:04 am »
I never expect much from this. Flicked over to watch a few minutes, and then - by chance - the winners.

Thought: well, none of these grab me. I couldn't even complain if Noel Gallagher won from this selection! Wolf Alice? A bit ... meh ...

But then I heard a completely different WA song on the radio just now. And then picked another one off the current album*. Fantastic!

It seems like they picked the songs that sound most like  dreary Florence songs for their live performances. Weird.

*Yuk Foo and Formidable Cool, for reference.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Mercury Prize
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:47:03 am »
I like Wolf Alice. And they're great live too - TV broadcasts of live performances rarely sound good to my ears, so it doesn't surprise me if they didn't sound great.

Thing is, I don't know why they won. They have some nice songs but there's nothing especially interesting or original about what they do - they're mainly retreading old ground.

Maybe nice songs are enough but I would have given it to Nadine Shah. Not that I care. Awards are a waste of time if you're not actively involved in the industry.

I like Sons of Kemet too but the token jazz act on the shortlist never wins it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2018, 01:50:57 pm »
Wolf Alice are one of those bands I want to like and they're not bad, but it's a bit same old really. A couple of good songs, some fillers, the sort of albums you listen to twice, add that one sone to your favourites playlist and move on. Albums? Kids, ask your parents.

Still, anything has to be better than the dull lads' rock of the former Oasis boys, surely

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2018, 02:27:09 pm »
To be fair, Noel’s latest is a bit different to what he has done before.

Unlike Florence and her Machine, whose latest album is indistinguishable from everything else she has done.

As for the rest of the nominations...

I’ve not heard the Lily Allen one but I can imagine what it sounds like.

Jorja Smith is ok but not really my kind of thing.

King Krule is the choice of chin-stroking hipsters. More clever than listenable.

Arctic Monkeys... well, I like their new one better than anything else they’ve done but it’s a bit of a second-rate Bowie pastiche.

Everything Everything... meh.

Everything is Recorded... this one has passed me by. Sounds like it might be a bit wanky.

Novelist... one for the kids. I’m too old to listen to this kind of thing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2018, 08:09:08 pm »
I'm never really sure the point of prizes be they for music or literature or anything else. But out of morbid curiosity, I ran down the Mercury list on Spotify. I'd blame it on being old, but it all seems a bit anodyne. Florence is another I think I should like – but again, it's a couple of decent songs that, tbh, seem to be exactly the same song, and a lot of filler.

Still, musical horses for musical courses, and all that. I probably am too old. It had to happen. My dad used to make me listen to Pink Floyd all the fucking time. You have no idea how much I hate that shit. He now goes to see PF tribute bands and I'm not entirely sure he knows they're not the real things. Or, for that matter, cares.

That said, I can't really be bothered with live music these days either (I said I was old). Sweaty rooms, sweaty people, and bad beer. I'd rather crank up the stereogram*, put up my feet and have a decent beer. That said, I was in Nashville a year or so back and, against my better judgement, was dragged to a couple of venues. Blimey, that place has an awesome music scene. And they serve decent beer.

*I do have to crank it up too, on account of a shitty Logitech bluetooth adaptor. Plus I like loud and I have a detached house and one neighbour who's old enough to be deaf.

rob

« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2018, 01:48:18 pm »
Gomez were probably my favourite winner.  Bunch of students who recorded the album in their spare time.  Closely followed by Elbow who took 4 albums to really be recognised.

Of course the first ever prize went to Screamadelica.

« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2018, 02:22:33 pm »
I'm never really sure the point of prizes be they for music or literature or anything else. But out of morbid curiosity, I ran down the Mercury list on Spotify. I'd blame it on being old, but it all seems a bit anodyne. Florence is another I think I should like – but again, it's a couple of decent songs that, tbh, seem to be exactly the same song, and a lot of filler.

Still, musical horses for musical courses, and all that. I probably am too old. It had to happen. My dad used to make me listen to Pink Floyd all the fucking time. You have no idea how much I hate that shit. He now goes to see PF tribute bands and I'm not entirely sure he knows they're not the real things. Or, for that matter, cares.

That said, I can't really be bothered with live music these days either (I said I was old). Sweaty rooms, sweaty people, and bad beer. I'd rather crank up the stereogram*, put up my feet and have a decent beer. That said, I was in Nashville a year or so back and, against my better judgement, was dragged to a couple of venues. Blimey, that place has an awesome music scene. And they serve decent beer.

*I do have to crank it up too, on account of a shitty Logitech bluetooth adaptor. Plus I like loud and I have a detached house and one neighbour who's old enough to be deaf.

You were lucky.

I had to listen to Tchaikovsky, played at high volume on a 70s car stereo, as he descended Dorset 1/5 lanes at speeds reassembling space shuttle re-entry, whilst poisoning us all with pipe smoke.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 23 September, 2018, 03:27:01 pm »
That explains a lot . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #8 on: 23 September, 2018, 03:47:55 pm »
What's your excuse?

« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:23:55 am »
Wolf Alice!! She couldn't carry a tune in a bucket from what I saw. I saw the band after finishing watching Lenny Kravitz at Hyde Park which was a tour de force imo. great performance by him and his band. Made you want to be in a band as it looked/sounded fantastic