Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 393243 times)

Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1525 on: 31 May, 2019, 01:27:48 pm »
I've just seen two of HMX-1's VH-3D Sea Kings flying south over Pompey - must be rehearsals, because the UnAmerican President isn't inflicting his presence until the D-Day commemorations next week.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1526 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:57:01 am »
Not sure if connected with his Orangeness arriving at Stansted or not, two F15s flying quite low and slow over the back garden
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #1527 on: 09 July, 2019, 05:12:03 pm »
What I think was an EC-135 flying low over Ely this afternoon - definitely not a KC-135, funny looking elongated nose-cone and no tail boom

« Reply #1528 on: 09 July, 2019, 05:35:59 pm »
What I think was an EC-135 flying low over Ely this afternoon - definitely not a KC-135, funny looking elongated nose-cone and no tail boom

If it had a lumpy fuselage with a 1970s-style grey and white paint job, it's a RC-135 Rivet Joint and most likely one of ours, as the Yank ones all fly out of Offut, Nebraska (ETA - or are deployed to Mildenhall, such as the WC-135 Constant Phoenix nuclear fallout sniffer when there were mystery plumes of iodine-131 detected at the Russia-Norway border in 2017).

Edited.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

« Reply #1529 on: 09 July, 2019, 05:52:29 pm »
Yes, RC135, but looked like a Yank one - Ely is under the flight path to Mildenhall, and Lakenheath and we see all sorts of oddities. I once had a B1B going low and slow over my head while I was out running around the Fens

« Reply #1530 on: 09 July, 2019, 05:59:38 pm »
FWIW, the RAF's Rivet Joints fly out of Waddington, but that's a bit to the north of you, so it depends what route they would take from there if they are being tasked with listening to the Russians in Kaliningrad...

« Reply #1531 on: 09 July, 2019, 06:55:00 pm »
On Sunday a Tiger Moth in WWII RAF training colours (camo on top and sides with a yellow underneath) flew low over the house. Lovely.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1532 on: 13 July, 2019, 07:56:01 pm »
Two c130 Hercules low flying down the upper Derwent valley low on Thursday evening  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1533 on: 18 July, 2019, 09:59:08 pm »
An aerobatic display team that wasn't the Red Arrows practicing West of Stroud, probably over the River Severn.

Googling suggests it may have been the Breitling Jet Team who will be performing at the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford.

(I took a photo, but it appears to consist of nothing but sky!!!)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1534 on: 18 July, 2019, 10:43:00 pm »
What might have been a P-3 Orion stooging around over Cirencester about midday.

Quite a way up so couldn't make out much more than the MAD boom at the back and 4 x turbo-prop mounted on an unswept low mounted wing.

If it was an Orion that's the first I've seen hereabouts for 8 or 10 years.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1535 on: 18 July, 2019, 11:02:02 pm »
What might have been a P-3 Orion stooging around over Cirencester about midday.

Quite a way up so couldn't make out much more than the MAD boom at the back and 4 x turbo-prop mounted on an unswept low mounted wing.

If it was an Orion that's the first I've seen hereabouts for 8 or 10 years.

One of the attendees on static display at RIAT:

https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircraft/aircraft-in-the-spotlight/p-3c-orion

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1536 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:59:59 am »
Commercial flight diverts to avoid police helicopter. Apparently. Is this unusual?
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-airport-stockwood-flight-path-3230680
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuzzy

« Reply #1537 on: 21 August, 2019, 01:42:56 pm »
Yes it is unusual. Blue light airways are generally under instruction to avoid approach and take off airspace in the vicinity of airports however, needs must. I suspect a situation where presence of the helicopter was in relation to a threat to life scenario- air ambulance, bear in the air tracking an immediately dangerous suspect etc.

« Reply #1538 on: 23 August, 2019, 12:55:42 pm »
Well I had a ride in this back in May...

Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1539 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:29:20 pm »
You can go off people you know.  :)
You lucky bugger, you.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1540 on: 23 August, 2019, 04:37:15 pm »
^
This. ;)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1541 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:35:48 pm »
^
This. ;)
+1
(Yes, I know I'm too tall (or heavy, or both - or skint come to that) but still...)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #1542 on: 23 August, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »
Giving this some consideration.
£2.7k's worth of consideration.
I'm only here once, and I've nobody to leave the dosh to.

What was it like, Trekker12?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1543 on: 23 August, 2019, 06:46:36 pm »
I may have to use the same word I used on a USAnian chum who celebrated $SIGNIFICANT_BIRTHDAY with a trip in a P-51.  That word is "GIT!!1!"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1544 on: 23 August, 2019, 06:52:47 pm »
I may have to use the same word I used on a USAnian chum who celebrated $SIGNIFICANT_BIRTHDAY with a trip in a P-51.  That word is "GIT!!1!"
You're only persuading me further....

« Reply #1545 on: 23 August, 2019, 07:17:07 pm »
I can't see the photos! Wassit?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1546 on: 23 August, 2019, 07:32:01 pm »
I can't see the photos! Wassit?

Per Wikinaccurate:

Spitfire Tr.9 ML407 (G-LFIX). Served with 485 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force as ML407 / OU-V. Participated in Operation Overlord. Subsequently served with 341 Squadron, Royal Air Force coded ML-D, 308 Squadron, coded ZF-R, 349 Squadron, coded GE-P, 345 Squadron, coded 2Y-A and 332 Squadron, coded AH-B. To 151 Repair Unit in April 1945 and 29 Maintenance Unit in October 1945. Sold to Vickers-Armstrongs in 1950 and converted to a two-seat trainer. Flew under Class B markings G-15-175. To Irish Air Corps in August 1951 as 162. Withdrawn from service 8 July 1960 and stored. Sold to Tony Samuelson in March 1968, then to Sir William Roberts in 1970 and Nick Grace in 1979. Restored to airworthy condition in 1985, registered G-LFIX.Owned by Carolyn Grace and as of October 2016 based at Sywell, it wears the markings it wore when serving with 485 (New Zealand) Squadron
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Supermarine_Spitfires#United_Kingdom

https://www.warbirdflights.co.uk/spitfireml407

« Reply #1547 on: 23 August, 2019, 10:07:24 pm »

You're only persuading me further....

Oh dear, I’ve started saving up....
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #1548 on: 23 August, 2019, 10:21:13 pm »
Giving this some consideration.
£2.7k's worth of consideration.
I'm only here once, and I've nobody to leave the dosh to.

What was it like, Trekker12?

Genuinely the most amazing experience of my life. It’s worth every penny, 2.7k is a lot of money but words don’t really describe it. Even 2 months later I still smile. I’ve flown light aircraft before of various types and nothing matches it.

I had Steve Jones as a pilot he’s a red bull air racer and one of the finest pilots we currently have in this country. A really nice bloke and everything was so calm and measured. He started up and taxied us to the runway. There’s nowhere to put your feet except following him on the rudder pedals which are connected to his, we had a nasty cross wind and he straightlined the runway and we were airborne before you knew it.

He made a few turns and took us away from the airport. Then he had me take the stick and follow through for a bit before he said ‘you have control’. And that was it I was flying a ww2 Spitfire all by myself. It’s incredibly smooth and responsive I pulled a couple of fairly tight turns but nothing like a real fighter pilot would have done.

His next comment was ‘it wouldn’t be a Spitfire if we didn’t do a victory roll would it’? To which I agreed and he took back control, rolled left, rolled right and as I seemed to be enjoying myself he pulled her up into a loop at 280mph.

Do it, really really do it. You don’t need n+1
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

ElyDave

« Reply #1549 on: 23 August, 2019, 11:18:56 pm »
you lucky, lucky man. I've done some of that as an air cadet, but nearer 150mph in a chipmunk than 280 in a spit.

Where's my cheque book?