Author Topic: Unable to reinstall Mac OS X after HD erase (Mac Mini 2010 Lion) SORTED  (Read 815 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Having replaced a 2010 Mac Mini with a new iMac, I used Disk Utility to erase the Mini's HD with a view to reinstalling the original OS from the original installation disk and to try and sell the Mac Mini. It is formatted to Mac OS Extended/Journaled. There was no additional GUID partition option.

However, the original install disk (OS 10.6.3) won't run and just keeps getting ejected. So I restarted using CMD-R and brought up the Mac OS Utilities window in recovery mode. Made sure the computer was connested to the internet. Followed the instructions to "Renew a new copy of Lion" (I'd upgraded the original OS from 10.6.3 Snow Leopard to Lion and then paid for 10.8 Mountain Lion - which is still shown in my purchase history on the App Store).

Enter my Apple ID and password and am presented with the window shown below - and no amount of trying again breaks the deadlock. I can access the App Store with my Apple ID on the new iMac.

The original Install disk is readable by an ancient Power PC iBook G4 - but not usable as it needs an Intel processor.

Any suggestions grateful received as to what one might do?  *SORTED* :thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Unable to reinstall Mac OS X after HD erase (Mac Mini 2010 Lion)
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2018, 03:36:29 pm »
There is a way you can download the os from apple store and then create a mac start up usb drive and install from there.