Author Topic: Have you been out with your camera today?  (Read 247978 times)

Re: Have you been out with your camera today?
« Reply #225 on: 22 January, 2013, 11:43:02 pm »
Oh gosh, I did it for the fun of it. I'm not up to the pressure of actually having to produce results, like some of you are. I wasn't sure they'd be good enough, even after I took them (and you should see the ones I quietly deleted).

If they paid me, the next thing they'd be asking me to cover another event, and I'd be worrying that I'd just get a load of blurs and flashes not going off ;D

They did give me some socks before I'd even pressed a shutter button, which was pretty brave of them, I thought ;D There's mention of a possible return favour, but after that listing in Cycling, this is my greatest cycling success to date, so I'm happy :thumbsup:

« Reply #226 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:57:20 am »
ESL,

I almost begrudge saying this but the digger picture is begging for some HDR treatment.
Very envious of all the Sno™ pictures... our snow has been pathetic thus far!

I was more concerned with the composition, the Sony has Auto HDR, so I should have thought about that. There are so many different angles going on with the digger.

I was also concerned to get the sweep panorama of the finished job right. Hedges are an important feature of that particular landscape, and it's an ideal opportunity to show that continuity depends on good maintenance. It's one of those instances where I think you'll find that it's very much about the hedgelaying. I particularly like the field barn.

« Reply #227 on: 23 January, 2013, 11:07:22 pm »
From this weekend. Going for an animation over the year of us mucking about over the seasons, think we have winter covered now

http://youtu.be/W_qva3Cuyyk

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #228 on: 23 January, 2013, 11:29:10 pm »
@geraldc :D
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #229 on: 24 January, 2013, 12:01:38 am »
That's nice Gerald.

The tabletcam phenomenom is weird, but I dare say I'll get used to it. I hope you used a tablet to capture the scene Sam.

« Reply #230 on: 24 January, 2013, 12:40:45 am »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #231 on: 24 January, 2013, 08:34:48 am »
From this weekend. Going for an animation over the year of us mucking about over the seasons, think we have winter covered now

http://youtu.be/W_qva3Cuyyk

That's an awful lot of effort to put into being silly, but it has got me smiling from ear to ear. :D
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #232 on: 28 January, 2013, 09:13:18 am »
Trying out a friends dSLR (Nikon D3100) for video with an old manual lens on extension tubes. First time I've tried shooting video on a dSLR
Not a terribly excitign video and the sound is just ambient. Regraded in Lightroom.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KgAmrhCKE9w&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/KgAmrhCKE9w&rel=1</a>

« Reply #233 on: 28 January, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »
here's some from our drive home yesterday:
storm over swindon:

rainbow on the a34 immediately prior to massive hailstorm

both with my phone from the passenger seat of our truck, the first one edited on the fantastic snapseed ('drama' setting), second one straight off the phone.

David Martin

« Reply #234 on: 03 February, 2013, 09:27:19 pm »
Been out with a colleagues camera to play with some video on the dSLR

Nikon D3100.
Conclusions:
Video is actually quite hard to shoot. It must all be right all the time. It always seems so rushed when you play it back - lack of time and space at the ends.
Keeping it steady requires a decent mount system. My cheap tripod suffered.

Focus. Hard to do. Follow focus is tough. Follow focus whilst zooming is almost impossible.  Especially with a small LCD screen.

However, many of the static shots were OK, the sound was surprisingly usable despite it being the onboard microphone (which numpty forgot to check the batteries in the digital recorder before setting out?)

It will take a lot more time to be vaguely proficient with it. I've stitched a few clips together and will post a youtube link when it has uploaded.

David Martin

« Reply #235 on: 03 February, 2013, 09:48:11 pm »
And here it is. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FVyBlEDsHvQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FVyBlEDsHvQ&rel=1</a>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #236 on: 03 February, 2013, 10:12:52 pm »
Tripod head is as important as the tripod. When I bought my tripod I got them to do me a deal on a dampened head for video as well as the still camera one.
It is simpler than it looks.

David Martin

« Reply #237 on: 03 February, 2013, 10:31:06 pm »
That is somewhat apparent when I look at my poor attempts at panning. Time to start looking at a decent tripod.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #238 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:25:24 am »

An early start this morning let me see a beautiful sky :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #239 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:16:07 am »
Wow - that's a crazy shade of blue!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

« Reply #240 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:16:53 am »
Set white balance for the street light and that is what you get :)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #241 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:21:48 am »
Wow - that's a crazy shade of blue!

It looked odder still in reality - I was one of many commuters blearily taking pictures of the sky. Sadly, my phone hasn't done justice to the stunning graduation in colour; the sky directly overhead was black with stars showing - I did try and capture that, but it just came out black.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #242 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:27:04 am »
Digital still sucks for dynamic range.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #243 on: 06 February, 2013, 09:04:29 pm »
Well, cameras, actually.  As I wasn't able to ride a bike, I took my Zeiss for a walk in the park.  Gave me a chance, with diffused mid-level light, to check out the Gossen meter and the camera itself.  I learned online how to take an incident light reading with the Gossen (it's really quite clever, and I'll no doubt bore people with it next time we're out photographing together).  I got my routine down with winding on, settings and cocking the shutter.  Actually, I can see the cocking lever through the viewfinder, so I can tell if I've forgotten that bit. :-[

After I'd tried turning the camera a couple of times to get a portrait view, I managed to keep in mind that it is 6x6.  Unfortunately, I find it difficult to compose in square format (which is why I sold my TLRs), but I'll struggle on.

In keeping with the tech, I chose some more 'timeless' views to photograph, and finished the roll just before the rain came down.

After a cup of tea, I swapped to digital, and carried on with 'old' photos, playing with the gimmicky sepia effect in the camera, to see how it turned out.  Not too bad, as it happened, but they aren't exciting shots:

This is the oldest building in the village (it was partially demolished by a previous owner, and is now for sale)

Couple more in colour:

I had a tiny dog leaping at me as I took the last one, so I see it's a bit wonky, but not as wonky as the other grave.

Getting there...

« Reply #244 on: 07 February, 2013, 05:41:21 pm »
Well, last night I popped out onto the patio
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62297839@N05/8451980796/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #245 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:08:40 pm »
Lovely.
Getting there...

« Reply #246 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:09:43 pm »
just processed the pics from a lovely engagement shoot in a national trust place near cambridge. I'm really pleased with them, they were lovely people and it was probably my favorite day yet.

they said they wanted a mix of different styles, so they could decide what they wanted for their wedding so I had a lovely time playing in lightroom.  Here's a couple, there's more on the flickr..

5D3_7342 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

5D3_7220 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

« Reply #247 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:49:13 pm »
Went up the Shard. Took my camera. Lots of internal reflections on the glass, so if I go back I'll bring a heavy black cloth and some rubber suckers to stick to the window and drape over myself and the camera. The windows are tinted too, which I'll have to correct at some point. London is pretty dull in the daylight, but at night it really does look a lot better.

David Martin

« Reply #248 on: 10 February, 2013, 11:41:29 pm »
I stayed in and did this:

splish splash splosh by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Which led to many hundreds of pictures including these (SOOC in colour):

Untitled by davidmamartin, on Flickr

David Martin

« Reply #249 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
And here is the stopped motion video. 5ms between frames. Spot the meercat!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/duE7aX9e9qQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/duE7aX9e9qQ&rel=1</a>