Author Topic: Have you been out with your camera today?  (Read 248103 times)

Re: Have you been out with your camera today?
« Reply #575 on: 26 January, 2014, 01:00:33 am »
Entrance to a fort on the Maginot Line, just up the road.  600 men, kitchens, dormitories, a modern hospital with operating theatre, air-conditioning systems to handle poison gas as well as automated gun turrets with central fire control, a narrow-gauge diesel railway and just 12 toilets.

"Only 12 toilets, you say?  Herr Hauptmann, I think we will just go round and use the ones in Paris...."

Ruth

« Reply #576 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:29:37 am »
Just a couple of shots of the posh houses on Keele in the snow. They don't seem any better at clearing tge suburban roads in Canada than they are in UK. And tge driving's no better.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #577 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:06:09 am »
From last Saturday, Burg Berwartstein in the Rheinpfalz:

This was the seat of Hans von Trotha, who had a feud with the monastery of Wissembourg, a local town. He once damned the river that flowed through the town, about 8 km upstream from it. When the abbot complained he simply removed the dam, flooding half the town and drowning many of its inhabitants.  To this day he's remembered as Hans Trapp, a bogeyman figure who's supposed to do nasty things to naughty children at Christmas.

He was excommunicated for immorality by a Borgia pope (which must have taken some doing), and so when he died he should have been buried outside church precincts; but since he was a member of the nobility he was accorded burial in a small wayside chapel, the Sankt-Anna-Kapelle near the local village of Niederschlettenbach. However, the pope ordered that the door be kept locked all year round with the exception of 26th July, the anniversary of his opening the sluices.

Along with me on this ride was our club prez, who used to look after electrics and electronics for Wissembourg Theatre. One 26th July they put on an open-air performance centred around the flooding story. It was a blazing hot summer before and after that day, but just as the performance was due to start a storm rolled up (shades of The Witches of Eastwick) and drenched everything.

This is what all our local castles would look like if Louis XIV hadn't ordered their destruction.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Afasoas

« Reply #578 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:56:57 pm »
Enjoyed the write-up with that photo Mr. T42.

Captured a spot of NIMBY this evening.

Bit annoyed I've got to get the D700s hotshoe replaced. I have a flash that fires when I don't want it too and then doesn't fire when I need it too.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #579 on: 02 February, 2014, 02:54:17 pm »
Hill Climb

It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #580 on: 02 February, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »
That is a remarkably silly sport.  But a complete hoot!  Great action shots.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #581 on: 02 February, 2014, 06:18:58 pm »
A bunch of pics from a meander around the north edge of Tentsmuir. The concrete blocks were placed in 1941 as a welcome to our continental friends.

DSC_0449 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

DSC_0447 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

And the tide had come in a bit more ont he way back - the highest I have ever seen there.

DSC_0508 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

DSC_0517 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #582 on: 02 February, 2014, 06:55:27 pm »
I can remember riding my bike round the forest and exploring that beach as a 9-10 year old in the mid 60s.

David Martin

« Reply #583 on: 02 February, 2014, 07:01:30 pm »
It's probably not changed an awful lot - bit of deposition, bit of erosion..

« Reply #584 on: 02 February, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »
Went out to look at the Chinese New Year celebrations. It's so crowded I used a Sony QX10 on the end of an extendible stick with remote viewfinder and release. Works pretty well.

Afasoas

« Reply #585 on: 06 February, 2014, 01:26:43 am »
Quite a big fan of the first and third shots there geraldc.

Got a last minute gig shooting for the local college. "Guest Chef Night".
Amazing work by the students, staff and guest chefs. Amazing facilities too!

I did an hour's photography (considering it was all on the hoof in a "working" kitchen) and walked away with a great set of images.
Here are just the highlights:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #586 on: 06 February, 2014, 09:08:10 am »
Nice work, Daniel.  Although most clients will opt for colour, I really do prefer this sort of fly-on-the-wall documentary work in black and white because I think it lets you concentrate on the expressions and emotions of the subjects so much better.

The only image I don't like is the last one - and that's because the blurred people in the foreground really don't work for me.  I don't know exactly why it is, but if you were seeing just the back of their heads, it would work a little better.  When I can see recognizable facial features, my eye gets drawn to them first if they're in the foreground and this detracts too much from the obvious subject (i.e. the two chefs deep in thought).

Were it me, I think I'd have taken a step to the right and used an out of focus object (like the tabletop or the heat lamps or whatever) rather than a person to frame the two guys in the background.  Their pose and expression is just too good to miss!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

« Reply #587 on: 06 February, 2014, 09:11:09 am »
It would actually work fine without the people in the foreground.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #588 on: 06 February, 2014, 10:23:55 am »
Agreed both.

Sometimes it's good to counterpoint a blurred figure with a sharp one as framing, but only when the blur renders them more abstract.

Great shots, though.  I'm right back to Lilliput.  The sort of photography I'd like to imagine myself doing back then, but using more modern styling.
Getting there...

Afasoas

« Reply #589 on: 06 February, 2014, 11:59:56 am »
Thanks for the compliments.

I have of course supplied the pictures to the client in colour. I do love black and white though.
That last photo, yes.. out of focus people in foreground generally bad.  The two chefs were only in that spot for a fleeting second and I was there shooting the two students so it was a lucky grab.

It was a busy kitchen. None of the photos were setup.

I captures 148 images and selected 47 to process and pass onto the client. That strikes me as a fairly good hit rate for a job like this.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #590 on: 06 February, 2014, 12:33:51 pm »
Yes, I'd say that was a decent proportion.  Either you've got a good eye, you struck very lucky, or you have a low threshold ;D
Getting there...

Afasoas

« Reply #591 on: 06 February, 2014, 04:57:42 pm »
Hill Climb

Jaded,
I meant to compliment you on these. These would be my pick. Brilliant timing.
Wonderful sense of movement in 1 and 3 (2nd above).

And look at the angle on that Pug. I've only ever seen four wheel drives photographed like that!

Afasoas

« Reply #592 on: 06 February, 2014, 05:04:57 pm »
Yes, I'd say that was a decent proportion.  Either you've got a good eye, you struck very lucky, or you have a low threshold ;D

I'd like to think I was quite selective...  but it's all subjective. It's my favourite type of work so it helps I enjoyed it.
Must admit I wish I'd the ultra-wide lens with me to experiment with, but I'm experimenting with travelling a bit lighter to these types of assignments.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #593 on: 06 February, 2014, 06:47:56 pm »
What lens did you use, out of interest?  It's obviously a space with difficult spaces and harsh contrasty lighting.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #594 on: 06 February, 2014, 07:15:22 pm »
I love the squeezy bottles one - all those chefs arranged!
It is simpler than it looks.

Afasoas

« Reply #595 on: 07 February, 2014, 06:23:55 pm »
What lens did you use, out of interest?  It's obviously a space with difficult spaces and harsh contrasty lighting.

24-70 at f/2.8
Fill flash up high on a flash bracket with laaarrrrggee bounce card.

It's a bit of a departure from my usual style, but seems to be working well.
Preview from a shoot today with the local food bank's "Bread Church"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #596 on: 07 February, 2014, 07:09:13 pm »
They're fun.
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #597 on: 07 February, 2014, 10:26:31 pm »
Out waiting for the kids at Boys Brigade. They had booked the Uni football pitches - floodlit astroturf. So I took the long lens and the D610 - 1/200 @2.8 ISO 6400. Surprisingly good. Very pleased with the results which would have been just about publishable had I needed to. Certainly fine for web viewing as long as you don't push them to be too big. (The big lens is soft to f4)

DSC_0737 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #598 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:19:08 pm »
Not today; it was on Saturday night - but I've only just got round to sorting them all out.  I was shooting random portraits of guests at a party hosted by Sam Valiant and the crew at the Limehouse Town Hall on the theme of 'Beauty is the Beast'.  Can you spot the forummer?

There's more elsewhere, but you have to register to see them, 'cos they're for sale.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #599 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:39:42 pm »
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.