Author Topic: “E” bike deaths  (Read 10731 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
“E” bike deaths
« on: 09 June, 2023, 07:12:03 am »
Does anyone if the bikes involved in the two recent incidents were legal e-bikes (pedal assist) or effectively electric motorcycles?

Re: “E” bike deaths
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2023, 07:48:06 am »
According to this article, the bike involved in the Cardiff incident was described as a "Sur-Ron electric motorcycle". (Edit: more info here https://archive.ph/6lAwP).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2023, 08:07:55 am »
Either way, let’s not lose sight of the fact that these incidents are still rare enough to be newsworthy whether the vehicles involved were road legal or not.

Meanwhile high numbers of people are killed on the streets every day by people driving perfectly legal vehicles and no one bats an eyelid, never mind calling for these dangerous menaces to be banned. Suggest we should do something about it and you’ll be accused of waging war on the motorist.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2023, 08:26:38 am »
According to this article, the bike involved in the Cardiff incident was described as a "Sur-Ron electric motorcycle". (Edit: more info here https://archive.ph/6lAwP).
Sur-Ron is kind of unusual, kind of looks like a mountain bike, and partly mountain bike components. But a more powerful electric motor. And they have several versions, some just designed for off-road, but some have lights and number plate etc, so can be legal on-road, as a moped/motorbike. Which means you need a licence, insurance, MOT, motorbike helmet etc.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2023, 10:54:44 am »
Suggest we should do something about it and you’ll be accused of waging war on the motorist.

Yep. Not denying it.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2023, 11:20:16 am »
Sur-Ron is kind of unusual, kind of looks like a mountain bike, and partly mountain bike components. But a more powerful electric motor. And they have several versions, some just designed for off-road, but some have lights and number plate etc, so can be legal on-road, as a moped/motorbike. Which means you need a licence, insurance, MOT, motorbike helmet etc.

The riders need to be over 16, etc.

No, they were not riding legally (under 16, no helmets etc). What was the father of the lad thinking, when he bought this for his son? He will no doubt blame the police.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2023, 12:48:25 pm »
There is a photo in the Mcr Evening News of the bike in the Salford incident which I can't reproduce here but it looks as if it could be a pedal less model, something like this. It does have very similar foot rests. BBC link has the MEN photo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-65854332
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2023, 02:26:11 pm »
I wish they wouldn’t mis report them as e-Bikes. They are not.

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2023, 02:32:49 pm »
I think that it is simply lazy journalism as opposed to something more sinister though.  I am always despairing when a car or a lorry crashes because it didn't crash on it's own.  In motor racing the driver/rider crashes but in everyday life somehow it is then vehicle which goes out of control ...

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2023, 02:37:00 pm »
I suspect it's deliberate, based on the equally misguided notion that they don't want to be seen to apportioning blame to any individuals before any investigation is complete.

« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2023, 04:48:43 pm »

The riders need to be over 16, etc.

No, they were not riding legally (under 16, no helmets etc). What was the father of the lad thinking, when he bought this for his son? He will no doubt blame the police.
One of the riders was 16. Don't know if he had any sort of licence?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2023, 05:02:22 pm »
One of the relatives of the deceased in the Cardiff incident was blaming the police (obviously) although she had bought the bike as a present.  I don't know with certainty what type of e-bike it was, but it was going at a suspicious clip when that police van was following it.  If it turns out to be an unlicensed electric motorbike, she'll still blame the police.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2023, 10:25:41 pm »
Even if it was an illegal E-bike that doesn’t necessarily mean the police weren’t at fault.

Let’s wait for the official inquiry rather than prejudging.

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2023, 07:24:38 pm »
^agreed
Also,
Suggest we should do something about it and you’ll be accused of waging war on the motorist.
There’s a war on motorists? Where do I sign up?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #14 on: 11 June, 2023, 01:40:18 pm »
These things, like the e-scooters, are out of the bag now. They’ve become ubiquitous in every town and city I visit. Amazing to see so many people going so fast without moving their legs.

Most seem to be in the hands and under the bum of food delivery people - but clearly there are plenty of others who get them too.

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2023, 06:56:31 pm »

E-bike ignites every two days, says fire brigade

Dan Parsons, director of Fully Charged e-bikes, a bike company, told the committee that a greater distinction is needed between "good and bad e-bikes".
He said that "good e-bikes" from reputable companies have had "no issues".
However retrofit kits, often used by food-delivery workers, pose a danger, he said.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16 on: 29 June, 2023, 08:15:53 pm »
Need an employer who will let you work alternate days, then, I guess.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #17 on: 30 June, 2023, 10:12:14 am »
This forum needs a rofl button.
Not especially helpful or mature

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18 on: 30 June, 2023, 10:39:51 am »
the downside of electrification.
The only real difference between these things and illegal 2-stroke motorbikes is if you're thrashing around on a 2-stroke motorbike someone will complain.
Polis in Dundee were regularly confiscating scramblers off kids, led by noise reports.

« Reply #19 on: 30 June, 2023, 11:28:06 am »

I knew there was something wrong with that headline! 

A new e-bike a day keeps the fire brigade away..
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 30 June, 2023, 05:00:06 pm »

Dan Parsons, director of Fully Charged e-bikes, a bike company, told the committee that a greater distinction is needed between "good and bad e-bikes".
However retrofit kits, often used by food-delivery workers, pose a danger, he said.

According to this bunch there are around 300 car fires every day in the UK

https://www.service4service.co.uk/news/general/car-fires/
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21 on: 30 June, 2023, 05:29:59 pm »

According to this bunch there are around 300 car fires every day in the UK

https://www.service4service.co.uk/news/general/car-fires/
Thing is.... it's relatively easy, using established methods, to extinguish those (unless it's a Tesla or similar).
LiPo battery fires are a different ball game.

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 30 June, 2023, 06:34:02 pm »

Or let you use a bike that doesn't catch fire every two days.

« Reply #23 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:02:17 pm »
On my commute I see quite a lot of the ebikes ridden by delivery riders, obviously almost all of them are  unlicensed motorbikes, ie goes 20-30+mph without the need to pedal.

The police could crack down on this if they wanted to.

« Reply #24 on: 30 June, 2023, 08:06:43 pm »
On my commute I see quite a lot of the ebikes ridden by delivery riders, obviously almost all of them are  unlicensed motorbikes, ie goes 20-30+mph without the need to pedal.

The police could crack down on this if they wanted to.
More like... if they had the funding.