Author Topic: (Unofficial) Scottish audax calendar  (Read 5119 times)

(Unofficial) Scottish audax calendar
« on: 18 January, 2013, 12:03:39 am »
I started putting together a spreadsheet of Audax Ecosse rides I wanted to do in 2013, so I had everything in one place. Then I thought it would be much better with clickable links, and the next thing I knew I'd started writing a whole calendar page (which I now heartily regret, in a twinges-of-RSI fashion).

Obviously there's a big caveat that it might be inaccurate (or more likely, not keep up with updates to the official calendar) but I still find it quite useful to have all the links, and especially maps, on the one page:

http://mccraw.co.uk/audax-scotland-calendar13/

It only goes up to the Deeside Lass just now (mid June) so I've got another 9 late season events to add, but I'll get there shortly.

Any feedback welcome (particularly errors and omissions!) and hopefully some of you may find it useful, even if just to visualise where all the events go.

thanks,

D.

Re: (Unofficial) Scottish audax calendar
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:31:52 am »
 :thumbsup:
@CorbieLinnRider

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:20:39 am »
I doubt I'll be riding in Scotland this year but the way you've added the outline maps for many of the rides is attractive and useful

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:40:20 am »
Great site  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:20:14 am »
Dave that's a very nice piece of work.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2013, 12:32:37 pm »
Dave that's a very nice piece of work.
Yes, good stuff, Dave. Well done.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2013, 11:12:18 am »
Excellent stuff! 
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2013, 10:05:08 pm »
Hi all,

My unofficial illustrated audax calendar is almost complete (finally) - but there are five rides for which I can't find a route map anywhere. Before either writing them off or drawing dots between controls, can anyone shed any light on:

- Lintrathen Loop
- Tongue Twister
- Easter Ross Ramble
- Alston and Back
- Ivy’s Mid Scotland Meander

Links or even gpx traces I could upload would be awesome. I could leave them blank, but it's a bit of a shame...

Hillbilly

« Reply #8 on: 22 February, 2013, 07:43:23 am »
Any plans to add something about the permanents that are available north of the border?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2013, 08:41:08 am »
Dave,
Lintrathen Loop is organised by audave OTP. I'll contact him and see if he can do a map. Mrs eck and I did this a few years ago en tandem and were almost out of time, thanks to gabbing too much with ariadne and Crystal Tips.  :facepalm:

Ivy's Mid Scotland Meander is a new event by a new organiser. I'm acting as his mentor, and the route has still to be finalised. It should be ready in a couple of weeks.

HTH

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #10 on: 22 February, 2013, 09:02:52 am »
Ivy's Mid Scotland Meander is a new event by a new organiser. I'm acting as his mentor, and the route has still to be finalised. It should be ready in a couple of weeks.

HTH

There are always two Audax knights, the young (or not) apprentice and the Master.....

;D
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Bairn Again

« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2013, 09:50:11 am »
Any plans to add something about the permanents that are available north of the border?

All my permanent events have links to a google based map via the perms section of the audax calendar. 

Feel free to use these anywhere. 

+ Great work Dave. 

Hillbilly

« Reply #12 on: 22 February, 2013, 10:56:42 am »

All my permanent events have links to a google based map via the perms section of the audax calendar. 

Feel free to use these anywhere. 

+ Great work Dave.

Ditto for my Glen Tae Ben.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 22 February, 2013, 07:08:29 pm »
Being a nosey sassenach I looked & discovered,with some suprise,that my aborted* Mull It Over 300km ride in effect was the Port Navigation 200km route.
I might even have done it within 200km time limit except that when I got off the Corran ferry my auto pilot took me into the pub at the end of the jetty where I scoffed a seafood platter the size of a dustbin lid & taste tested Scotland's equivalent of Guiness (Black Lion or somesuch?) as recommended by the landlord.
This sacrifice on my part to Anglo-Scottish relations kept me off the road for 2.5 hours.
It was a most enjoyable DNF :thumbsup:

* Instead of turning left for Strontian as per the route sheet at the A884/A861 junction I bailed out to the right.

« Reply #14 on: 23 February, 2013, 10:58:37 am »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll be looking out for any updates in future.

I've also added direct links to download GPX traces for all audax events (except the aforementioned mystery ones!). Usual caveats apply.

Assuming I figure out a non-soul-destroying way of adding perms, do you think it would be of any value to let people submit their (approved) DIYs as well? Might either inspire and/or suggest control options for those tricky it's-sort-of-under-distance routes that folk consider.

Hillbilly

« Reply #15 on: 23 February, 2013, 02:24:14 pm »
I suspect DIYs are very personal things that your site wouldn't best facilitate, unless it were a searchable list or indexed in some way.  Scrolling through potentially many routes is perhaps not the most efficient way to share?

I do, however,  have a couple of nice, but hilly, routes up in Scotland that might be of interest to others (an 80km route around the Ochils starting in Dunning, a 100km in the Sidlaws starting in Dundee which includes two climbs of Craigowl, and will have others later this year when I try out some ideas I have in the Central Highlands) but then again, if people want to ride in a particular area, they can simply log into bikehike and plot out a route that best suits their needs?

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #16 on: 25 February, 2013, 03:32:17 pm »
Good stuff, Dave. That's made it to the very select bunch on my bookmarks toolbar (or whatever its called). (That reminds me - time to delete PBP2011 from there!)
Alf

« Reply #17 on: 25 February, 2013, 03:44:31 pm »
Good stuff, Dave. That's made it to the very select bunch on my bookmarks toolbar (or whatever its called). (That reminds me - time to delete PBP2011 from there!)
Alf

\o/

... and by the sounds of it, I'll be there until PBP2015? :P

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2013, 04:11:29 pm »
 :)
Alf

\o/

... and by the sounds of it, I'll be there until PBP2015? :P
Ouch  :) No, I've turned over a new leaf - I'll be weeding out the dead wood every week - so you'll be there til 2015!

Wal

« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2013, 08:08:23 pm »
Does anyone have a route plan for the Lintrathen Loop 50km 4th May. I will assume that I will receive a route plan when I send in the paperwork for the trip, which is another point, how early should I send in the paperwork for the trip?

Cheers,

W. 

« Reply #20 on: 25 February, 2013, 09:06:43 pm »
I don't think you can send it in too early! I entered all of this season's events (that I know I can make) at the same time, a month or two back...

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #21 on: 26 February, 2013, 02:43:21 pm »
EF (and Wallace), here's the route for the Lintrathen Loop, with thanks to organiser audave OTP.  :thumbsup:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2030236
He says he is still working on the routsheet.

Wal

« Reply #22 on: 27 February, 2013, 08:43:24 am »
Cheers Eck  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 27 February, 2013, 02:15:43 pm »
Thanks - updated :)

Luckily there aren't so many rides that it needs search or filtering!