Author Topic: French Press Mugs  (Read 3203 times)

French Press Mugs
« on: 28 December, 2018, 03:11:31 pm »
All,

I start a new job in the New Year, which although it has numerous advantages, means that I'm back to a 60 min commute in my car and so I'll be getting up earlier than i used to.

I'm thinking of moving my morning coffee into my car to save some time and to help speed up the brewing process am thinking of buying a French press mug, like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BODUM-Travel-French-Coffee-Vacuum/dp/B002HMGJX6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546009639&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=bodum%2Btravel%2Bpress&th=1

or maybe this :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011WTW37A/?coliid=I3R0G4QNGXIN04&colid=20JMD98Z9JTGX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Has anybody ever used one ? Any suggestions ?

Finally, what's the feelings about using one in the car ? I have to say I'm a little unsure as I don't normally eat or drink in my car.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: French Press Mugs
« Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2018, 04:56:09 pm »
I've used the Bodum.
It works well and delivers a nice cup og coffee.
No fuss, and I find it easy to clean.
It keeps the coffee Warm, but not as well as my Primus thermocup.

Ben T

« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:01:38 pm »
IME, doesn't spill if you're careful enough but you do get bits in your mouth as it doesn't filter that well.
I'd either have instant, have espresso before you go which doesn't take as long to drink, bulletproof*, or better still just stop at McDonald's** or turn up later and say you can't possibly get in any earlier because you live far away don't you know***.

* Claims to negate the need for breakfast, which if true may save more time, but I found it didn't.
** But don't eat the food in your car.  :sick:
*** Get your feet under the table first.

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2018, 09:37:31 am »
Where's the time saving? I can see the point of taking it with you, but why brew it in the car, IMO less trouble to brew it at home and pour it into a decent travel cup.  If every second counts, get a cheap filter machine (IMO nicer coffee than a French Press) prep it the night before and flick the switch first thing, the coffee will be ready to go before you are. 

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2018, 10:34:47 am »
Thanks guys.

I was a bit concerned about the sludge that you tend to get at the bottom of a French press. The second link is for a slightly different style mug that claims to get around it. It has finer mesh and closes out the grinds when you press it down.

Paul, I have a filter machine that I could use if I wanted, I just didn't want to wait for it to finish. My plan was alarm -> shower -> get dressed -> boil kettle -> go.

Turning on the coffee machine would mean having to come downstairs first. Maybe I should buy a little digital timer and set it the night before. BTW I've seen that you can now buy small filter machines that dispense directly into a travel mug, which seem a good idea, but I know my wife would kill me if I bought yet another coffee machine.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2018, 11:10:02 am »
The timer seems like an excellent idea. Either that or change your routine to put the coffee making bit in before the shower....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2018, 11:52:03 am »
Finally, what's the feelings about using one in the car ? I have to say I'm a little unsure as I don't normally eat or drink in my car.
Isn't it illegal to eat or drink on the move, in the UK at least?  Not in full control and all that.  This was the law that applied to mobile phones as well until drivers had to have a specific law to spell it out to them.  I could of course be wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2018, 01:07:07 pm »

My plan was alarm -> shower -> get dressed -> boil kettle -> go.

Turning on the coffee machine would mean having to come downstairs first. Maybe I should buy a little digital timer and set it the night before. BTW I've seen that you can now buy small filter machines that dispense directly into a travel mug, which seem a good idea, but I know my wife would kill me if I bought yet another coffee machine.

Why not just persuade your wife to make the coffee?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:24:58 pm »
The timer seems like an excellent idea. Either that or change your routine to put the coffee making bit in before the shower....

Reminds me of Eddie Izzard's reply to Gerry Adams's Tweet a couple of years back.

Gerry    'This house is like Santa's grotto. Takes half an hour to turn all the lights off every night. I feel like the Grinch'
Eddie    'Surely you know somebody who's good at fitting timers ? '

« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:27:30 pm »
Isn't it illegal to eat or drink on the move, in the UK at least?  Not in full control and all that.  This was the law that applied to mobile phones as well until drivers had to have a specific law to spell it out to them.  I could of course be wrong.

Thing is that I live in Ireland (Republic) and I don't think it's illegal over here, not that I typically do it. I also never use my phone unless it's on hands free.

The road is pretty much one very empty motorway all the way.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:35:58 pm »

Not in the UK unless it’s alleged that you’re distracted

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/driving-myths-your-questions-answered/

ian

« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2018, 06:13:32 pm »
I have a Cuisinart robot-coffee maker. It's ace. You add the beans and water the night before, set the timer, and there's a pot of fresh ground coffee waiting in the morning to drink or decant into a thermos-mug. Not the cheapest of machines, but bomb-proof and compared to the cost of buying a cup of coffee (I just paid £2.90 for what is essentially a cup of hot water), it's worth the investment.

I have one of the Bodrum french-press cups, as said, it makes a rather gritty cup of coffee.

« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2018, 10:52:41 pm »
I have a Cuisinart robot-coffee maker. It's ace. You add the beans and water the night before, set the timer, and there's a pot of fresh ground coffee waiting in the morning to drink or decant into a thermos-mug. Not the cheapest of machines, but bomb-proof and compared to the cost of buying a cup of coffee (I just paid £2.90 for what is essentially a cup of hot water), it's worth the investment.

I have one of the Bodrum french-press cups, as said, it makes a rather gritty cup of coffee.

They do look pretty neat, but I reckon my wife would kill me if I bought any more coffee making equipment. I currently have at least one of just about every type possible including a Gaggia Classic & grinder, a Nespresso machine, 2 or 3 French presses, 3 x Bialetti machines (including a cow print Mukka I bought on a whim), a couple of drippers, and an Aeropress.

I've been playing around with a filter machine that I took out of retirement last night and have managed to get some nice coffee out of it. I reckon that combined with a timer and a travel mug will do the business for a while. I just hope that I'll be able to load it up in work for the homeward journey in the evening.

My main worry with the Bodum cup was that it'll be full of grit and sludge and that's been confirmed by a couple of people.

hillbilly

« Reply #13 on: 31 December, 2018, 10:58:56 am »
My G/F uses one for the same reason as you.  I've used it a couple of times for country walks in preference to vacuum flasks.

They are ok but benefit from a coarse grind to avoid sludge. 

She got hers from TK Maxx, which occasionally have the Bodum ones on sale at a reduced price.

« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2018, 06:00:17 pm »
My G/F uses one for the same reason as you.  I've used it a couple of times for country walks in preference to vacuum flasks.

They are ok but benefit from a coarse grind to avoid sludge. 

She got hers from TK Maxx, which occasionally have the Bodum ones on sale at a reduced price.

Thanks. I've only seen the regular Bodum travel mugs in TK Maxx. I've checked my tiny local one here in Ireland and the ginormous one in Manchester when I was there just before Christmas. They both only had the travel mugs. Maybe the others will come in sometime.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2018, 06:37:14 pm »
Apropos of nothing, I did note you can now get 'smart' mugs – internet enabled coffee cups. God help us. You just wait till Russian hackers cool down our morning coffee.