Author Topic: Speedplay pedals  (Read 2555 times)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Speedplay pedals
« on: 19 April, 2008, 05:18:13 pm »
Is anyone here using these?? I'm using SPDs at present, but would like to try something a bit more floaty.

Edit: I'm using the SPDs on a road bike, so I'm thinking in terms of road pedals.

Re: Speedplay pedals
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2008, 05:24:21 pm »
I did have some, couldnt get on with them, found them so floaty I didnt feel secure in them and I found them difficult to get out of occasionally. I'm sure someone will come along and tell you how good they are though ;D

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2008, 05:31:02 pm »
I didn't have problems with the float - it seemed fine, but I did have problems clipping in and out on a long ride in the rain, where I'd had to walk a bit. I ended up taking my feet out of the shoes, then unclipping the shoes and and being unable to clip in again. That was the last time I used those - I really like the XTR pedals that I use instead.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2008, 10:45:09 pm »
I put Speeplay pedals on my Audax bikes.
I like them. Oodles of float. I find them easy enough to clip in and out although its probably best to do that at the top of the pedal stroke.
Quite a large area of contact. Light.

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:14:54 pm »
I've just switch from SPDs to Crank Bros. pedals and they are loads more "floaty".  My dodgy right knee has been cured thanks to these pedals.  Hurrah!
I believe Time ATACs are just as floaty as well.  The Crank Bros and Time pedals have the advantage that they're an open design so any mud on your shoe just gets pushed through with no detriment to clipping and unclipping.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2008, 08:31:08 pm »
I've just switch from SPDs to Crank Bros. pedals and they are loads more "floaty".  My dodgy right knee has been cured thanks to these pedals.  Hurrah!
I believe Time ATACs are just as floaty as well.  The Crank Bros and Time pedals have the advantage that they're an open design so any mud on your shoe just gets pushed through with no detriment to clipping and unclipping.
I second the use of Crank Bros pedals... My commuter and winter bike both have eggbeaters and they are very good. I also have candies (eggbeaters with a platform) on the tandem and my son's bike.
Be warned, however, that Eggbeaters have had a reputation for bearings wearing out. My first set wore out but since then I have been regularly (every 4 months) regreasing them properly and have had no further problems.

gonzo

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2008, 10:19:49 am »
I've got speedplays on one of my bikes (turbo for the last 2 months and switched to the road bike about a month ago) and I still can't get the hang of clipping into them.

Other than that, they've been great for me.

I'm a little concerned at the price of replacing the cleats though...