Author Topic: Scared my gf's confidence away  (Read 5892 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Scared my gf's confidence away
« on: 22 April, 2008, 03:55:37 pm »
This coming weekend there is a local ride going on, and my gf and a couple of girls she knows from spin class are going together. She is very excited about doing it, as it will be the furthes she has gone so far (30miles). I am bursting with pride that she wants to do this, and have offered the services of my mtb to do it (with slicks), as her bike is too small for her and she can't ride much further than 15miles without being crippled by it.

Last night we set her up and discovered it is almost a perfect fit, which is excellent news.

Here comes the bad news though...

I have monstrously powerful (Hope Mono6 for those who know it) disk brakes on the bike, front sus, and clipless pedals. I definitely gave her too much to cope with at once.

First problem - I scared her warning her about the brakes. She is coming from awful budget cantis that can't even lock her rear wheel, and I know her technique to stop or slow down is to slam on and wait wait wait wait wait.... Obviously I didn't want her to slam on on my bike, beacuse it would mean an instant crash.

Second problem - new gears - she hasn't quite got the knack of gears. And the rapidfire shifters required thought on her behalf to use.

Clipless pedals - Her first go on them. I definitely cocked up this bit, giving her a bike with brakes that powerful, new gears and locking her in.  :'(

Sus-forks - she has never experienced fork dive before, and I forgot to tell her what would happen.

The test ride...

She was a bundle of nerves, I had managed to install some serious fear about the brakes, and she was concerned about not being able to unclip. Bravely though, she still wanted to ride and we set off to do a few laps of the uni to introduce her to the bike.

At first it went well, I was pleased and so was she, her nerves reduced a bit and she got more confident and started using the gears. I tried not to let her see me wince as she mashed the odd change. She relaxed more and we were quite happily zooming around, but unfortunately she forgot "squeeze, don't grab" and "don't brake in corners" She braked in a corner and almost crashed, then as she was offline was headed for a parked car and grabbed a handful and the instant endo (luckily not ending in a face plant) scared the pants off her.

That was the end of the evening, and we wheeled home very slowly.

I am going to change the pedals to normal flats so she doesn't have to think about unclipping, but I can't alter the brakes - which she is now terrified of.

Any ideas to help me rebuild her confidence - and how do I get her to learn to use the brakes?

I have tried explaining progressive braking (even drew a diagram), but it doesn't seem to sink in.

I'm definitely not cut out for teaching  :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Scared my gf's confidence away
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:10:36 pm »
Get her to apply the brakes using only her middle fingers to pull the levers (in a controlled environment e.g. empty car park and not too fast) that way she can't put a huge amount of force behind the pull.

Alternatively what size bike does your gf need, we could probably lend you Plan B, but it's a cheap, crappy old clunker that usually lives at Guildford Station.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:17:01 pm »
You're not, are you?

::-)

I think what's happened here is that you've not given your girlfriend an unsuitable bike to ride, so much as overloaded her with information she doesn't need right now.  You gave her too much to cope with, but not too much bike, too much hassle.  Riding a bike should be easy, but you've given her so much to worry about (not least of which is damaging your lovely shiny bike) that she's terrified she'll get it wrong.

If this is genuinely the best option bike for her, then once you've fitted the flat pedals, I'd just hand her the bike and walk away for a bit.  Let her go out and ride it on her own.

A quick dab on the brakes and she'll realise that this isn't her old budget bike and that it is a different machine.  Forget the diagrams - unless she's terminally dim, she's going to realise for herself that they just need a lighter touch.  People are terribly good at self-preservation, you know!

As for everything else, well what's the worst that can happen?  She'll ride along in big/big or little/little and mash your gears.  So what?

I vote you say that you were sorry for putting the wind up her and you let her go off and play on her own.

It's not like you're handing her the keys to your MV Agusta after she's just failed her CBT.  Relax!

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:20:23 pm »
^^^ that's a much better reply than I managed.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:24:11 pm »
after she's just failed her CBT. 

There's an exam in CBT?!

Clipless was probably a mistake but everything else was fine in terms of the bike. As has been said - start in a car park and let her get used to it.
A shitter and a giggler.

annie

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:25:29 pm »
Do not be put off by this.  I have only taught one person to ride a bike and that was over several months.  At all times I focused on the positives, I never said, 'DON'T DO .....'.  I agree with Charlotte, she has far too much to think about so that the whole idea of just getting on the bike and riding has gone out of the window and been replaced with worry, anxiety and anticipation of an 'off'. 

What you need to do is back off, give her praise, restore her confidence and let her pootle out on the bike.

If you tell a child to be careful whilst ascending the stairs in case they fall down they will focus on the falling down bit, if you tell them to hold on tight they will focus on holding on tight.

It is easy to overload the brain with too many instructions.  Don't use diagrams or software or use technical terms.

Your intentions were good so you do deserve a pat on the back.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:27:10 pm »

Absolutely.  I missed that.

One more of us, one less of them.

Always a good thing  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

gonzo

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:32:47 pm »
Congrats for trusting her with your shiny bike. I'm not sure I'd trust an experienced rider with any of my real bikes!

scared the pants off her.

That was the end of the evening,

Usually, that's just the start eh!?!

annie

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:33:34 pm »

Absolutely.  I missed that.

One more of us, one less of them.

Always a good thing  :)

Or a pat on the bum, whichever you prefer really :)

« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:48:54 pm »
Of course once she is used to your bike and done the ride you'll need to get her acclimatised with her bike again, or there will be trouble come the first big downhill.  Maybe you'll need to buy her a new bicycle. ;)

Jacomus

« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2008, 05:54:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone, it has definitely given me food for thought.

Charlotte
I've already prepared myself for any gear mashings, I'm not too concerned about that - I have a fairly cheap chainset on it, because its an MTB that gets ridden hard.

I did apologise yesterday, but it will probably be better if I say it again now that she won't be so immidiately upset about ride.

Annie
That is a good point about not using technical language, it has made me boggle at just how much I use and how hard it is to explain something without using technical words!

Gonzo
Must be love eh? Can't think of anything else that would make me hand over a bike to someone!

Clare
Thank you for the offer, but no thanks.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2008, 05:58:16 pm »
Give her a fixed... Nothing simpler really. Just keep pedalling luv'!

More seriously, E also has an issue managing the full combo; so on a ride I help her with the gear change (I announce them in simple terms).
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

annie

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2008, 06:04:56 pm »

More seriously, E also has an issue managing the full combo; so on a ride I help her with the gear change (I announce them in simple terms).

That is exactly what I have been doing with my friend although she has only changed from the large to the middle chainring so far.  Little steps

« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:22:25 am »
+1 to Charlotte.

Put flats on it (clipless catches out everybody, so DON'T go there - but you've already acknowleged that) then give her the bike and walk away.

There was a thread in the library in ACF (if anybody has access and can search it - feel free to cross post) that I wrote re Mrs Nutty.     She wanted a bike and to go to town, phoned me, and I gave her an option of bikes and how to pump the tyres and go out.  Mrs Nutty is not a cyclist.   She got a bike on the road on her own, did 15 odd miles and also did the shopping.   That was entirely off her own back, and had I been "involved" she'd not have had as much fun or ridden the ride.

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:38:02 am »

Agreed! Build her a brakeless fixie and she won't have to worry about all that unnecessary nonsense  ;)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:50:10 pm »
Another vote for give her the bike and walk away.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:11:57 pm »
Well Jacomus-rides-Gen as far as I am concerned patience is always the key when it comes to regaining confidence, once lost it can take a while to come back, gradually at first and then later perhaps in leaps and bounds. My girlfriend (Louisa) like yours was a relative newcomer when she completely lost her confidence after a couple of mishaps.

Positioning herself in the middle of the road to turn right off a busy main road into a side road she realised that the on coming traffic was speeding, changed her mind about executing the turn at the last moment, couldn't unclip from her SPD pedals and fell in front of the speeding car heading towards her, she lay there watching a skidding wheel heading straight for, then mercifully just past her head! Weeks later a car over took us then immediately turned into their driveway, meaning we both had to do an emergency stop, unfortunately as can be the case with new riders this had her face planting at quite a speed as like your girlfriend she instinctively grabbed the brakes, the result being concussion, plus dented helmet and understandably an even bigger dent in her confidence.

For sure both the situations were such that an experienced rider may be able to come out of such close calls unscathed, we all had to learn and often the hard way, but in time most of us get over these learning curve mishaps, the trick is how is the best way to go about doing it.

Something that has helped her that may be worth a try is that I have taken her out on  quiet roads, as traffic free as I can find, reassured her that in time she will be as good as she needs to be and that as her experience grows as will her bike handling skills, along with the confidence and enjoyment that goes with it. As for the brakes again offer to take her somewhere quiet and let her get the feel of the them, let it be an exercise just in bike handling so that she can concentrate on each area that she would like to learn.

For example I have a garage on block with long quite access road, so with Louisa I would spend fifteen minutes, or as long as she wants, every now and then showing her how to get the feel of the brakes, starting from slow speeds and letting her increase how fast she went and how firmly she braked, it doesn't actually take that long in the correct environment, a public road perhaps not being one of them. I went through the same process when she wanted clipless pedals,  which went well at the time ::-), note she asked for them, she did, she did, she did; let's face it I knew what can happen and didn't not want my ears ringing with " you made me have these....".

Mind you I can see that she is still very nervous so I repeat patience is the key; both hers and yours, don't expect an overnight cure, but give her time and she may surprise you, if she wants to cycle she will. Fortunately it seems her wanting to have a go a cycling came from her which is good, partners who tag along just because they don't want to be a cycling widow may have less enthusiasm in getting past these tentative first steps pedal revolutions. Of course your supporting role in this confidence rebuilding can be a delicate juggling act as far as you are concerned, for at times your input may need to change from the 'softy softly patience' approach to take a somewhat firmer 'don't let this beat you' approach with perhaps a hint of Seargent Major in the delivery, everyone is different and you will need to judge these moments and the severity of the latter correctly for them to be effective, you know her of course so it is up to you to decide what is needed from you, can tricky though as want they want to hear and what they need to hear are not always the same thing.

I half expected mine to never want to sit on a bike again, but fortunately the cycling bug had taken just enough of a hold, we are now up to 70 miles and hoping to join in on one of the Friday night to the coast rides this summer ;D ; perhaps who knows we may even see you both there, you and I can cheer one another up after our girl friends rip our legs off  ;D

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:10:22 pm »
buy her a copy of cyclecraft too.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #18 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:42:55 am »
A thought re braking.

I was taught (at a very very young age) "A little back, a little front, more back, more front".  I spent hours practicing that.  In reality it just means squeeze the back brake with the left hand slightly ahead of the front brake.

The benefits of just riding in circles and practicing braking is that you learn to ride without realising as you're focussing on braking ;D

The advantages of this, especially when you move onto learning on loose surfaces such as gravel, is that the back brake gives you safe warning of a loose surface, so you ease off correctly.  It also makes it very unikely that you'll go over the bars even though your front brake in the right hand does all the hard work (as it should).

I was very interested to find that when I learnt to ride a motorbike they used exactly the same method ("A little back, a little front, more back, more front") even though the back is a foot pedal.

The only disadvantage to this is I can't ride hire bikes in Europe where the brakes are the wrong way around.  As soon as the back wheel lets go on a bend on a gravel track I let go with my right hand (to ensure I don't lock a front wheel) and tighten the left (to lock the back wheel and slew the bike round the bend); but as the brakes are wired up wrong in reality I let go the back brake, lock the front and either high side or low side >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(    I now immediately mend the hire bikes as soon as I'm out of sight of the hire centre; front brake should always be on the right - as per British Standards and world wide motorbike manufacture.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:17:44 pm »

There was a thread in the library in ACF (if anybody has access and can search it - feel free to cross post) that I wrote re Mrs Nutty.     She wanted a bike and to go to town, phoned me, and I gave her an option of bikes and how to pump the tyres and go out.  Mrs Nutty is not a cyclist.   She got a bike on the road on her own, did 15 odd miles and also did the shopping.   That was entirely off her own back, and had I been "involved" she'd not have had as much fun or ridden the ride.

That was a great post - I'm trying to track it down ... watch this space ...

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=50193.0

(that was harder than you might think - there were false trails involved)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jacomus

« Reply #20 on: 25 April, 2008, 03:22:08 pm »
Thanks again for all the advice everyone, it is much appriciated.

UPDATE

I bought some nice new BMR V8 platform pedals and put them on the bike, I also changed it over to 26x1 slicks.

Miss JRG was itching to get back in the saddle and we went for a tootle - which was mostly me trying to keep up with her as she tore around unpredictably pulling e-stops that I couldn't match on my roadbike and then screaming off again with me in tow.

Without the worry of not being able to get her feet out of the pedals she was a speed deamon, unleashing all the physical potential her old clunker was holding back.

GEARS
There were a quite a few mashed gear changes - and I have worked out why her bike doesn't like to shift. I have ridden her clunker a few times now, and after I fettled the gears and re-cabled they seemed to run perfectly, yet she still struggles to get it to shift smoothly, despite claiming she is backing off pressure as instructed. Every now and then I hop on her bike to pin down the problem and see what I can do to sort it, and it changes sweetly and accurately.

My bike has a Deore chainset which uses Shimano's HyperGlide system of ramped teeth to allow the chain to shift under load, obviously it shifts faster and more smoothly if the rider backs off for the shift, but it will do it under load with that clunk-grind noise. I heard a lot of those noises. To be fair though, towards the end she was shifting more smoothly, and this explains why her ancient SIS chainset won't play ball.

I found out that she was not backing off the power at 12'o'clock, but backing off the pedal stroke, effectively stalling her stoke as she shifted then getting back on the power. She is working on doing it properly now, and as I said, towards the end of the ride she was nearly there.

BRAKES
"I love Trix's [the bike - Trix the Trek] brakes!" Miss JRG was heard to procalaim shortly before pulling yet another eye popping e-stop.

She also knows she isn't to allow anyone to turn the bike upside down under any circumstances (open system), or squeeze the lever if the rotor isn't between the pads. She told me off for spinning the wheel using the rotor "Now you've got grease on the brake thing!" *proud  ;D * she even tutted when I said it was ok because I was about to wipe them over with disk cleaner.  ;D

She did give me a couple of adrenalin surging, heart in mouth moments when she remembered not to brake in corners, but didn't brake enough before going into it and ran wide. Another little reminder of how much I love her - how immidiately and completely scared I got when I thought she might crash. Luckily though, her handling skills are pretty darn good, and she didn't come a cropper.

POST RIDE
I was a nervous wreck when we got back home and needed a sit down and a cup of tea, she was bouncing off the walls and talking at Woman SpeedTM where entire sentences become one long word, about getting me to teach her more about cornering and how she was going to practice gear shifting.

She then sexed me vigorously and let me fall asleep on Boob PillowTM

Cycling with one's partner RULES!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 25 April, 2008, 03:27:08 pm »
Can we borrow her?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 25 April, 2008, 03:34:50 pm »
That's great! :)
Getting there...

« Reply #23 on: 25 April, 2008, 05:24:49 pm »
Excellent!

That was a great post - I'm trying to track it down ... watch this space ...

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=50193.0

(that was harder than you might think - there were false trails involved)

Thanks for that.  What's the related link I posted at the bottom?  It goes off to the old bikereader site and he's deleted my account from there too now >:(

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #24 on: 25 April, 2008, 05:27:54 pm »

Thanks for that.  What's the related link I posted at the bottom?  It goes off to the old bikereader site and he's deleted my account from there too now >:(

Following on from my last post, I got home from work on Friday to find Mrs Nutty had gone for a little bike ride down to the shops.

This was excellent, other than I'd left my keys behind so had to just sit on the doorstep and wait for her to get home.