Author Topic: Copper rivets on Brooks Team Pro  (Read 4111 times)

Copper rivets on Brooks Team Pro
« on: 29 April, 2008, 03:58:28 pm »
I noticed the other day that there was an edge or two creeping up on the rivets on my Team Pro. Not too sharp but enough to notice and maybe wear a hole in a pair of shorts.

So I got a ball peen hammer and walloped them back down again.

Is this just a normal part of Brooks ownership or it is because I sit quite far back towards the rail on my Brooks? Sometimes I wonder if the Pro would be better, if less attractive, if it had normal small Brooks rivets.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Copper rivets on Brooks Team Pro
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:03:51 pm »
I own a variety of large-riveted saddles and I've never had to do it.

Could you post a photograph of your buttocks so we can check them for unusual features?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:04:45 pm »
I've had to do it on my Team Pro.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:21:15 pm »

One more here  :-\
But only on two rivets placed on the same side.

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2008, 04:37:33 pm »
I own a variety of large-riveted saddles and I've never had to do it.

Could you post a photograph of your buttocks so we can check them for unusual features?

I think I have averted the development of any unusual features with my ball peen hammer but I'll keep you all informed.  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:13:21 am »
I had to do it on a Team Pro.  I prefer smaller rivets (as on the B17) to avoid this problem.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:17:40 am »
I had to do it on a Team Pro.  I prefer smaller rivets (as on the B17) to avoid this problem.

Maybe, but  one failure mode of elderly B17s is the rivets pulling through.  If the leather is not too badly damaged, it is possible to re-rivet them (with a bigger rivet, of course)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:17:08 am »
True about rivets pulling through but I tend to retire my Brooks saddles after 4-5 years.  The shape changes too much to let me ride multiple Brooks at various stages of delapidation.  I see no particular need to fit larger rivets until you have to but some like the bling, I guess.

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:30:40 am »
One of my Pros suffered. It was a long time ago and there's been no recurrence. I did notice that, on the B17 of Mr TG, the leather was keyholed at the front rivets.

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:32:59 am »
True about rivets pulling through but I tend to retire my Brooks saddles after 4-5 years. 

Blimey! Two of mine are well over twenty years old. The third, the 'new' one, is only about six, though admittedly not used until three years ago.

« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:09:06 am »
I quite enjoyed bashing them. I think I might make a good rivet walloper in another life. Didn't mark the leather either.

« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:10:23 am »
Replace after 4-5 years due to sag?  Re-hammer rivets?  Proofhide and care for? 

This Brooks thing looks really time intrusive.

My favourite saddle is coming up for 15 years old and is still as fresh and comfy as the day I bought it.  Being plastic I've had to do nothing to it in that time.

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:15:23 am »
True about rivets pulling through but I tend to retire my Brooks saddles after 4-5 years. 

Blimey! Two of mine are well over twenty years old. The third, the 'new' one, is only about six, though admittedly not used until three years ago.

I was going to say.  My team Pro is 8 years old, a veteran of PBP and 2 LELs and I consider it only now beginning to show signs of moving out childhood.  I expect it to have a long and happy life for decades to come.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:43:54 am »
At five years, a B-17 has changed shape enough that it doesn't feel the same as a newer one  I like all my bikes to be comfortable.  My bum adapts to any level of B-17 delapidation after a while and any other B-17 (newer or older) isn't as good.  If they are all pretty much the same, my bum likes them all and I accordingly like all my bikes.  YMMV

I'm pretty sure I outweigh both of you...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:49:42 am »
Replace after 4-5 years due to sag?  Re-hammer rivets?  Proofhide and care for? 

This Brooks thing looks really time intrusive.

My favourite saddle is coming up for 15 years old and is still as fresh and comfy as the day I bought it.  Being plastic I've had to do nothing to it in that time.

I replaced my San Marco Rolls saddles every couple of years (retired them to low mileage bikes) before I rode Brooks saddles.  You'll find plastic saddles change shape also, partially from padding breakdown, partially from creep of the plastic shell.  Some professional racers replace saddles at regular intervals (6-12 months) for the same reason.

I don't replace saddles because they become uncomfortable, I replace them because they change significantly from their original shape.

« Reply #15 on: 30 April, 2008, 11:01:35 am »

Together?

;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 30 April, 2008, 11:08:38 am »
Perhaps, right now I'm afraid to check.  ::-)  I'll have to trim down before the Great Southern Randonnee and the Murray Marathon (might sink the kayak).

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #17 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »

Me thinks : We've never met   ;)

border-rider

« Reply #18 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:16:48 pm »
Actually, I believe you have, although I think I failed to introduce you  :)