Author Topic: Garage airline convertor  (Read 3815 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Garage airline convertor
« on: 29 April, 2008, 08:42:20 pm »
Is there such a thing as a convertor that could be used on a garage air line to bring a tube up to pressure - after a mini pump has been used after a p*ncture - and with effort has got pressure up to say 75ish?
I am sure I have heard of such a thing - but dont remember seeing it for sale
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
Re: Garage airline convertor
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:47:34 pm »
FB

Got an adapter from my LBS.  Just a small brass converter that screws on to the Presta Valve and allows the Schrader airline to clamp on to it.

But, a lot of garage airlines are limited to about 60 PSI nowadays.

RT

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:07:31 pm »
Yes, there are Presta to Schrader (aka Schraeder) adapters .  The best ones incorporate an o-ring to prevent leakage.  (A leaky adapter is one of the most annoying things in the world).

As well as pressure usually being limited, garages tend to ban the use of their air lines for bicycle tyres.  So, save them for emergencies only when your pump is lost.  Carry a 20p piece as well as your adapter for this purpose.

Otherwise I suggest a better pump or a CO2 inflator.  With CO2, there is virtually no limit to the pressure you can get a bike tyre up to if you have enough cartridges or put some air in first with a pump.  Just one 16 gram cartridge will usually do.  I recommend the Innovations Air Chuck SL.

You should manage about 100 psi with a pump with a narrow barrel, of any length.  If you want small, there is the Topeak Pocket Rocket, to name just one of many.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:21:21 pm »
Yes you can get adapters, I have one on the bike at all times (make sure you get one with a rubber seal - no point otherwise).

But as RogerT says, garage airlines nowadays are crap.  My local won't go above about 40PSI  (I was tempted to go in and complain that their sign "High pressure air line not suitable for bicycle tyres" was misleading as I needed 120PSI).   Also some airlines expect a Schraeder valve so won't activate when the adapter is fitted as there's nothing to trigger the airline.

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:35:29 am »
Even though garage airlines won't always work or deliver enough pressure it's still a good idea to carry one of the adapters.  If your own pump fails sometimes the only alternative is to use someone else's pump that might only have a Schrader connector.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2008, 05:41:57 pm »
Be a man and carry a track pump strapped under the lid of your courier bag like I do when I cant find my other  pump :-[

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:20:01 am »

As well as pressure usually being limited, garages tend to ban the use of their air lines for bicycle tyres.  So, save them for emergencies only when your pump is lost.  Carry a 20p piece as well as your adapter for this purpose.

... and a map of which garages actually have a WORKING airline ...  >:(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2008, 10:50:33 am »
If your own pump fails sometimes the only alternative is to use someone else's pump that might only have a Schrader connector.

If my own pump (Zefal HPX) fails then I'll use the Topeak Micro Rocket (a mere 115g and can do high pressures although it takes a while) I carry as a backup. I also carry a Schraeder->Presta converter in my bits bag (along with a few spare nuts and bolts and an SPD cleat.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Lonewolff

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:10:50 am »
(along with a few spare nuts and bolts and an SPD cleat.)

Just the one?

« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:58:14 am »
(along with a few spare nuts and bolts and an SPD cleat.)

Just the one?

Losing one1 would be bad luck. Losing two would be carelessness.

I carry it to ward off the possilibity of having to do a 200km overnight stretch of a 400km ride on fixed with one foot that can't clip in.

1. I've seen it done and my brother was happy I had a spare! We couldn't find it despite stopping almost instantly after it came off and searching the roadside for 10 minutes.

« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2008, 02:48:21 pm »
1. I've seen it done and my brother was happy I had a spare! We couldn't find it despite stopping almost instantly after it came off and searching the roadside for 10 minutes.

I haven't lost a SPD cleat, but I did loose a bolt from one, and also stopped almost instantly and failed to find it after searching around. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
I haven't lost a cleat, or the bolt (corrosion makes sure they don't come undone).  I have snapped a sole before and been unable to unclip; but I refuse to carry one shoe in case it happens again.  And how would I ensure it was the correct shoe?  I'd hate to have two left feet.

« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:13:40 pm »
I haven't lost a cleat, or the bolt (corrosion makes sure they don't come undone).  I have snapped a sole before and been unable to unclip; but I refuse to carry one shoe in case it happens again.  And how would I ensure it was the correct shoe?  I'd hate to have two left feet.

Simple cost/benefit analysis.

A cleat and a couple of bolts weigh close to nothing and take up next to no storage space.

Even if the chance of the sole of one of my shoes snapping was equal to that of losing a cleat, the cost of hauling round a spare pair of shoes is just too great. So I don't.