Author Topic: Midge bars on an mtb?  (Read 4357 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Midge bars on an mtb?
« on: 30 April, 2008, 09:20:11 pm »
Title says it all really - would it work?

More specifically, I have open resevoir hydraulic disk brakes and rapidfire shifters - do you think I could mount them and have them work properly?

Also, from any midge users, how do they compare to standard drops?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Re: Midge bars on an mtb?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:31:09 pm »
I think midge bars are 23.8 mm and your shifters and brakes will be for 22.2 mm.

Apart from that, the idea just strikes me as being Wrong, but I guess you know that  :P

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:32:39 pm »
The idea sounds pretty cool to me.  If you can do it.
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:39:04 pm »
I think midge bars are 23.8 mm and your shifters and brakes will be for 22.2 mm.

Apart from that, the idea just strikes me as being Wrong, but I guess you know that  :P

Indeed - my idea about sus forks on a roadbike struck a fair few people that way too!

I am having lots of ideas run round my head at the moment - all seeking a way for me to make a fairly fast road oriented bike that I can use hydraulic disk brakes on.

I think my intense frustration at the complete lack of hydro compatible STIs could be bordering on on manic.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:39:43 pm »
Yep, they work just fine.  You just need to get them high enough and far enough back that the drops are the primary grip position; everything else is secondary.

http://www.63xc.com/mattc/midge.htm
http://mtbtires.com/features/bikes/why_dropbars.html

You'll struggle with hydraulic braking and flat bar shifters - Midge bars are designed for road levers which have a bigger clamp diameter (road = 15/16", MTB = 7/8").  You'd be better off using cable discs and either road STI levers (which then means you need a new front mech...), bar end shifters or Paul Comp thumbies that mount to the tops of road bars.

They're roughly the same distance across the hoods, with a much shallower drop and a shorter forward reach.  There's less space behind the hoods, but the on-hood position is very comfy.

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:42:53 pm »
I didn't say you shouldn't do it!

Just peeking at my similar shifters, they are not readily amenable to fitting the larger bar size, but I am sure it can be done. Mine have only one clamp bolt and I think would need to be bored out to fit well.

Paulapops

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:03:27 pm »
Midge bars are brilliant, I wouldn't use anything else.  :thumbsup:
The only bike that doesn't have them fitted is the 2nd best tandem.
I'm still looking for a satisfactory way of transferring from flat to midge

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:13:43 pm »
If you're used to full drops, I'd say Midges will feel rather compromised; if you're used to flats or risers then they are less of a shock to the system than full drops.

Quite a few MTBers seem to use them, and I'd be happy to give it a go (I normally use risers on MTB and midges on road).

Only black mark for me (with big hands) is I find the drop section a bit short.

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2008, 11:36:26 pm »
Only black mark for me (with big hands) is I find the drop section is a bit short.

Agreed.  I switched to Dirt drops and they are better in that respect

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:35:32 am »
Also, from any midge users, how do they compare to standard drops?

I find the position on the hoods a little more comfortable than on standard drops.

On the drops, there is noticable spring, which I found a little unnerving at first but, now I know they aren't going to break under me, I quite like it.

They're a little wider (on the drops) than I like. But mine are used on the road. The position might actually be advantageous off road.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:22:24 am »
John Tomac won both crosscountry and downhill races way back in 1990 with drops and cantilever brakes!

http://www.yetifan.com/
Sorry, got a bit cought up in memorylane here... ::-)
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."