Author Topic: Stealth Faerie?  (Read 2108 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Stealth Faerie?
« on: 01 May, 2008, 06:05:05 am »
I had 3 visitations yesterday :( plus I broke the valve when I'd repaired the first and got a pinch when I repaired the second  >:( well it was pishing down.

All were in my rear wheel and each time I couldn't find the offending item. I spent longer and longer each time checking for whatever had caused it but nothing turned up. Now on the basis that lightning doesn't strike twice could there be something stealthly embedded in my tyre or is there something else that I've missed?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Stealth Faerie?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:46:15 am »
Small glass shards can be hard to find, because they barely show on the inside.  Look for cuts on the outside and then rub the inside with a tyre lever, which usually pushes out the offending item.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2008, 01:34:21 pm »
There could be something embedded in the tyre, but also check the rim and rim tape every time your change or refit a tyre.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2008, 01:42:08 pm »
Sometimes there's a hole in the tyre from an old puncture that's got big enough for bits of grit to get in it as the tyre touches the ground, nick the tube and then drop out.

I've had the odd tyre which has just become incredibly puncture-prone for no obvious reason too, and I suspect it's either this or, as RZ said, a tiny shard hiding out of view.  If it's an elderly tyre, it may be time to move on.

Edit: can you identify where on the tyre the problem is by the location of the puncture on the tube ? if you've moved th tyre on the rim that may not work, but if all you did was take out and replace the tube it might be possible.

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2008, 01:46:16 pm »
Edit: can you identify where on the tyre the problem is by the location of the puncture on the tube ? if you've moved th tyre on the rim that may not work, but if all you did was take out and replace the tube it might be possible.

This is where being very anal about fitting your tyre with the branding next to the valve hole really helps. (c.f.: http://www.greenbank.org/bikes/tempo/tempo4.jpg )
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2008, 01:53:28 pm »
The ancient tyre on the Schmidt wheel that I'd been meaning to change since before PBP has been completely reliable. Except I noticed yesterday morning, not having used it since the weekend, it is flat. At least it gives me the impetus to replace it.

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:54:14 pm »
Small glass shards can be hard to find, because they barely show on the inside.  Look for cuts on the outside and then rub the inside with a tyre lever, which usually pushes out the offending item.

I tend to use my finger.

The spirt of red stuff indicates when I find the offending item.