Author Topic: Washing shoes  (Read 2984 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Washing shoes
« on: 02 May, 2008, 08:43:51 am »
thanks to the landlord's cat deciding that my shoes were mark-worthy, one of them stinks now, whats the best way to wash them?

EDIT:Sorry should mention they are my cycling shoes, Nike MB101
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Washing shoes
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:46:25 am »
I take mine into the shower and work on them with some detergent (cheap shampoo works well) and an old washing up brush. 

If they smell of MANKTM then they get filled with dilute bleach solution and left for a few minutes first.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:48:28 am »
Now there's an idea...

1) I get home,
2) strip off,
3) get in the shower with helmet and shoes.
4) Hope Mrs T doesn't return from work early :)

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:13:41 am »
Washing machine on a very cool programme.  Remove the footbeds.  Set the machine to extra rinse and - importantly - throw in a couple of old towels to keep it all in good behaviour.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:40:06 am »
Just don't pop them in the tumble dryer, this can cause trainers to shrink... apparently...
Actually, it is rocket science.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2008, 12:42:57 pm »
Washing machine on a very cool programme.  Remove the footbeds.  Set the machine to extra rinse and - importantly - throw in a couple of old towels to keep it all in good behaviour.
I remove the foot beds and then put them in as well, ob a cold wash, you can put them in a pillow case if a bit vulnerable.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2008, 12:49:40 pm »
Just don't pop them in the tumble dryer, this can cause trainers to shrink... apparently...

I've heard that too alledgedly.

Also apparently they can get jammed and cause the belt to melt through.  *I've heard* the belts in tumble driers are an utter pig to replace and i didn't you won't get much sympathy for the whole ordeal.

:-[ :-[ :-[

« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2008, 12:52:54 pm »
As a road runner I was always told not to wash my shoes in a machine anyway as it would destroy the air/gel sole thingies and shrink some of the fabric... So I used a sponge and some water.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 02 May, 2008, 01:13:32 pm »
As a road runner I was always told not to wash my shoes in a machine anyway as it would destroy the air/gel sole thingies and shrink some of the fabric... So I used a sponge and some water.
"Air/gel sole thingies" not exactly a huge feature of bike shoes of course, to get rid of Cat Wee I think it worth the risk personally; I have washed mine a few times on cold wash and they have come out OK.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2008, 05:01:24 pm »
I stick mine in a pillow case with the footbeds outside the shoe and a couple of lwashing up powder tabs, one in and one out :) Pillow case stops them getting scratched etc.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2008, 05:08:25 pm »
I stick mine in a pillow case with the footbeds outside the shoe and a couple of lwashing up powder tabs, one in and one out :) Pillow case stops them getting scratched etc.
I do that as well, plus the helmet the pads I remove and put them in my washing machine in one of the little mesh bags

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk[/quote]