Author Topic: Using ISO cranks on JIS taper spindle?  (Read 3413 times)

Using ISO cranks on JIS taper spindle?
« on: 02 May, 2008, 10:17:19 am »
Am I signing my death warrant in doing this?  I have read Sheldon Brown, who says it is OK, but I am still not 100% convinced.  Can I ask for a second opinion?  My main concern is that the nuts holding the cranks on are only effectively "half on".  Is this sufficient grip, or should I add loctite or something?

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
Re: Using ISO cranks on JIS taper spindle?
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2008, 12:52:33 pm »
Am I signing my death warrant in doing this?  I have read Sheldon Brown, who says it is OK, but I am still not 100% convinced.  Can I ask for a second opinion?  My main concern is that the nuts holding the cranks on are only effectively "half on".  Is this sufficient grip, or should I add loctite or something?
Although they look similar they are very slightly different, they both use the same two degree taper, the main difference is in the actual length of the taper, the JIS version is slightly longer, so if you try and put a crank designed for a JIS BB onto an ISO shorter tapered BB which would happen if you use a Shimano Chainset onto a Campagnolo BB, then the crank may go to far up to the end of the taper, so you will be tightening the axle bolt against the axle, as apposed to the crank onto the axle taper, not such a problem vice versa of course as the crank depth will not reach the end of the taper; still not to be recommended.

Paul_Smith

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2008, 12:42:58 am »
Pictured below is a SunTour Superbe Pro on a Stroglight BB. It's been there for 8 years and doesn't creak.

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:09:38 pm »
Pictured below is a SunTour Superbe Pro on a Stroglight BB. It's been there for 8 years and doesn't creak.J
Like TA Stronglight now use a JIS BB taper. TA were for many years ISO though, they changed to JIS. like TA the older Stronglight were also ISO, TA still being listed as ISO on that chart and even they have been JIS for a few years, first used on their Alize and Zephyr chainset and they are no longer made, so possibly what you actually have is a JIS BB anyway, which is why it doesn't creak perhaps.

Paul_Smith

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:16:04 pm »
Pictured below is a SunTour Superbe Pro on a Stroglight BB. It's been there for 8 years and doesn't creak.

J

Looks like you've got a stiff link in that chain (at the bottom just to the left of the rim in the picture!)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:21:06 pm »
....and the 4th link to the left of that one is missing entirely!!