Author Topic: Tents & stoves for cycle touring  (Read 19933 times)

Tents & stoves for cycle touring
« on: 31 March, 2008, 09:12:29 am »
I am making Exciting Plans for my trip to Australia next autumn, which will include some cycle touring.  And have concluded that taking a tent & a stove, whilst probably not saving me much money by the time I've paid for them, will increase my options a bit esp with the whole vegan thing. 

What tents do people recommend?

Also, do I want a tiny one-person tent or is it worth getting a little extra room (& obv a little more weight)? 

Does one leave the bike outside when cycle touring?  What about locking it?

And does anyone have any experience of lightweight stoves?  I used a Trangia when I did Duke of Edinburgh's award hiking as a teenager, but haven't been anywhere near anything similar since. 

I really should crack on & acquire appropriate tent/stove & get a bit of practice in this summer!

Re: Tents & stoves for cycle touring
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:16:07 am »
When I cycled across America, New Zealand and Tasmania I used a VauDe MKII 2-3 man tent. In the USA there were two of us so we shared the load and the tent. My thought was that if we were holed up for a day or two perhaps due to illness or a breakdown or bad weather we'd appreciate more room. Once alone I carried it all myself. Never carried a stove though. Bikes always remained outside of tent, carried a D-Lock, locked bikes together or to a post. In Sydney bought a cable too.

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:25:55 am »
Bother, I was really hoping to get away without taking a D-lock :(  At least until I get to Sydney where I will be staying for a bit. 

I was thinking that having a little more space for myself might be a good idea, since I anticipate that while I'm touring I'm not likely to be doing much more than keeping my own company.  So having space in which to do that is good. 

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:28:15 am »
I've used a 2 man Wild Country Hoy for the last couple of years.  It's good - small, fairly light and cheap (£70-ish).  A bit awkward to put up on your own, but if there's two of you it's pretty simple.  I'd go for a 1 1/2 or 2 man tent even if you're on your own - it's good to have a bit of extra space.

I use a mini Trangia when I'm off on my own and a Trangia 25 when there's two uf us.  They're still great - but you need to use a windshield with the mini.  You should check to see how easy it is to get hold of meths where you're going, if you take a Trangia.

Put a pole for the tent through the back wheel of the bike (lay the bike down - means that no-one can walk off with the bike without moving the tent) and carry a small cable lock too.

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:32:20 am »
You know the risks, it's your call. Cable locks are better now than they were then but is a cable and decent pad lock any lighter than a D ?

Good advice from ChrisN about pole through bike wheel. I hadn't though of that but with my exoskeleton tent it would be very very easy to undo the pole.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:33:19 am »
Meths in Oz is easy to find but I prefer the MSR Whisperlite stove.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bikenerd

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:45:46 am »
Ah, deciding what camping kit to buy.  I wasted about 2 months of my life last years trying to decide what tent / stove / sleeping bag combo to get.  I ended up with a MSR Zoid 1 tent which is a one man tent but with enough space to keep your kit as it has a fairly large porch area.  For a stove I use either a Trangia mini or a Coleman F1 lite with the Trangia mini cookware.  Both need a windshield.  The Coleman is a butane / propane gas cylinder type stove which is possibly lighter than using meths (in fuel terms) but not as environmentally friendly as you have to either attempt to recycle the cylinders once they're empty or bin them.
I suggest you buy a Thermarest Prolite camping mat.  They are worth every penny!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:46:44 am »
I've done most of my cycle-camping in my '2 man' Robert Saunders Jetpacker Plus.
I have never had anyone else stay in it. It's light enough, approaching 20 years old (almost unused past 10 years). I certainly would not suggest anything smaller.
I've mostly used Coleman petrol stoves for cooking. They cook rapidly.
The Coleman fuel is quite expensive compared to the lead-free petrol I previously used but it seems cleaner.

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:46:56 am »
If you're away from civilisation a petrol stove such as Colman's is useful. Light to carry, and one filling of fuel lasts nearly a week.

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:49:25 am »
Space for your luggage and space to pack and unpack it inside the tent/porch is vital. I preferred a tent where I could sit up too.

« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2008, 09:51:49 am »
I've used a 2 man Wild Country Hoy for the last couple of years.  It's good - small, fairly light and cheap (£70-ish).  A bit awkward to put up on your own, but if there's two of you it's pretty simple.  I'd go for a 1 1/2 or 2 man tent even if you're on your own - it's good to have a bit of extra space.

I use a mini Trangia when I'm off on my own and a Trangia 25 when there's two uf us.  They're still great - but you need to use a windshield with the mini.  You should check to see how easy it is to get hold of meths where you're going, if you take a Trangia.

Put a pole for the tent through the back wheel of the bike (lay the bike down - means that no-one can walk off with the bike without moving the tent) and carry a small cable lock too.

Basically agree.  My preferences in kit terms are:

IMHO nothing beats a Hilleberg Nallo for cycle touring.   They are light and spacious, easy to erect by one person, and you can put them up inner and outer together so if it's pissing down the inner stays dry.   The GT model has an extended porch for loads of extra storage but if you got the standard Nallo 2 you'd have plenty of room for you and your kit if you're on your own.   Two of us tour with a Nallo 3GT and we can hunker down for a day or two very cosily if the weather turns.  I even cook in the porch area with the trangia.   The pole system also allows for the wheel staking as per Chris N's recommendation.  I'd agree with that too.

Trangia do a 27 model, a smaller version of the 25.  I find this perfect for one, a scrape for two.   

I always carry my D lock.  It is a heavy Kryptonite New Yorker but I feel that the weight penalty is worth the inconvenience.  Especially good if you visit a town or city and want to lock the bike up and explore on foot as we did in Aberdeen last year.

Have you considered if you don't have a tent etc yet buying the kit when you arrive?   It might be cheaper and you don't have the baggage cost.   I'm thinking about doing this when I go to New Zealand.   Ship bike, buy lots of kit there.  Use it heavily for a month.  Bring back or sell what isn't knackered.    I'm sure plenty of good people here, myslef included would be willing to lend you kit to get used to using it before you get out there.

bobmick

« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:06:48 am »
Great idea about the tent pole and the bike!!  I always take a small D-Lock though.

I use a small and very light 2 person Eurohike tent.  To be honest its not brilliant and you have to pitch the inner first which is a bugger if its raining.  However,  I only use the thing in the summer and I'm prepared to put up with it as its so light.  I'll shell out on something better when it breaks.

Trangia stove for me too.  Very reliable but very slow.

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:11:44 am »
The pole system also allows for the wheel staking as per Chris N's recommendation.  I'd agree with that too.

Trangia do a 27 model, a smaller version of the 25.  I find this perfect for one, a scrape for two.   

I can't remember where I saw the tip for the tent pole - might have been over on old acf.

It's the 27 I've got, not the 25.  I still can't work out why they'd name the smaller stove with the bigger number.

Have a look at www.alpkit.com for camping equipment - looks like very good valuea dn good reviews.

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:12:41 am »
PB - I'm going overland myself (through Russia, Mongolia, & the Far East by train/bus), & shipping the bike & a tea-chest of stuff by boat ahead of me.  I'm staying in Sydney for 3-4 months after I'm done touring, & will be working, so I need to ship some work clothes etc out anyway (i.e. it'll be at least one tea-chest) since I don't want to carry them for the backpacking bit.  The key is of course getting everything in the tea-chest!

Thanks for all the recommendations.  There do look to be a number of options, which is good in one sense & confusing in another :) 

(notes for my own benefit: have also seen recommendations for Terra Nova Laser, which looks good but expensive, Hilleberg Akto (also expensive), & Vanga which are fairly cheap.)

Nick H.

« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:20:34 am »
I got an Optimus Nova stove which I think might just be the only multi-fuel one which takes diesel. Naturally I bought the limited edition titanium one in presentation case.

And if you want to know about my OTT tent for many people which weighs less than a kilo, custom made with parachute fabric and carbon fibre poles, do ask  :D  I think there's enough room inside it for the bike.

« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:23:52 am »
Sounds like one hell of an adventure.   

« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:31:23 am »
Hell yes :) 

6 weeks overland to Singapore.
Flight to Darwin (can't find boat for reasonable price & timing), train down to Melbourne (via Alice Springs & Uluru)
6-7 weeks assorted bits of cycle touring connected by trains (which is cheating a bit but Australia is Very Big & I'd rather get trains between the bits I really want to see than cycle all the way & not have time to see them.  As it were.).  Great Ocean Rd in Victoria; the SW corner near Perth; the west coast of Tasmania.
Hopefully Xmas at my cousin's in Melbourne assuming she doesn't mind :)
Sydney for 3-4 months working.
Then freighter to San Francisco, train across US, & freighter back to Tilbury (assuming I can get a ticket - not available this far in advance).  So I get to go all the way round!

Gave my notice in to work informally just before Easter, & got my Aus work visa a couple of weeks ago, so it's definitely happening now.

I have a Spreadsheet.  With dates, and train times, & so on.  It's all a bit terrifying in fact! ;D

« Reply #17 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:37:48 am »
Hopefully Xmas at my cousin's in Melbourne assuming she doesn't mind Smiley

I had Xmas in Melbourne then New Years Eve in Hobart, the latter is highly recommended as several yacht races finish there for NYE and there is a massive party. Also on December 28th (I think) there is a cracking track meeting in Launceston. I flew to Launceston and cycled down the Midland Highway to Hobart, the back via the west coast.

« Reply #18 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:40:15 am »
Hope you're gonna blog that.   Sounds fantastic.   

I love riding the trains watching the world slide by then popping out at the end and jumping on the tourer.  Best way to travel.

I'm envious.   

« Reply #19 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:41:29 am »
It is very common in australia for the soil to be extremely thin or sandy, so tent pegs don't hold. For this reason, I recommend you choose a tent that will stay up without needing guy ropes.

What time of year are you going? There can be very heavy rains (when it rains, it really pours. Like really, really pours, monsoon style) in winter.

In summer, you will be desperate for some refuge from flies, and possibly mosquitoes (depending on area). The dangers from snakes and spiders are vastly overstated.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #20 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:06:34 am »
November/December is when I'll be doing most of the cycle touring (in Victoria, WA, and Tasmania in that order, as suggested by the cycling Aus book that Tourist Tony has kindly lent me).  A little bit maybe in the weekends from Sydney during full summer, but that'll depend very much on where exactly I'd want to see & what the weather's doing.  Heat & mossies/flies more likely to be an issue than serious rain. 

Thanks for the pegs tip! 

« Reply #21 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:09:26 am »
In Alice Springs and Broken Hill, flies were a real pain, I, like many others took to using a net over my hat to keep the blighters at bay. Even in the USA hard ground will prevent tent pegs being driven in. A tent that is self supporting is very useful, you can erect in on concrete if you have to.

« Reply #22 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:26:48 am »
November/December is likely to be dry, apart from in the far north.

Dehydration, sunburn and flies will be your biggest challenges; it's often too dry for mosquitoes by November.

Watch out for dehydration, particularly loss of salts. It is strongly recommended essential that you carry rehydration salts.

Sunburn can be dreadful (I have seen people hospitalised with 2nd degree burns from it). Get one of those wierd hats the cricketers wear, that has a cloth covering the back of your neck. Helmets are compulsory in Vic, and I believe WA as well. Get a white one. I used to wear a huge Bell V1 Pro in WA, and heat wasn't a problem, wearing the white helmet was cooler than being without one.
Also look into shirts that incorporate UV blockers - I believe that Rohan sell some.
The UV in an Aussie summer goes straight through ordinary thin fabrics.

Get 3 bottle cages on your bike, and always take the opportunity to refill the bottles.

Beer out there is thin light stuff,  usually under 4%. Not really worth drinking, other than to rehydrate with. The wine is different, and be prepared to be served white with ice cubes in it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:34:43 am »
November/December is likely to be dry, apart from in the far north.

Dehydration, sunburn and flies will be your biggest challenges; it's often too dry for mosquitoes by November.

Watch out for dehydration, particularly loss of salts. It is strongly recommended essential that you carry rehydration salts.

Sunburn can be dreadful (I have seen people hospitalised with 2nd degree burns from it). Get one of those wierd hats the cricketers wear, that has a cloth covering the back of your neck. Helmets are compulsory in Vic, and I believe WA as well. Get a white one. I used to wear a huge Bell V1 Pro in WA, and heat wasn't a problem, wearing the white helmet was cooler than being without one.
Also look into shirts that incorporate UV blockers - I believe that Rohan sell some.
The UV in an Aussie summer goes straight through ordinary thin fabrics.

Get 3 bottle cages on your bike, and always take the opportunity to refill the bottles.

Beer out there is thin light stuff,  usually under 4%. Not really worth drinking, other than to rehydrate with. The wine is different, and be prepared to be served white with ice cubes in it.

It was for these reasons and the fact that I was tired of cycling that I didn't do much cycling in Australia. The day I pedalled to Port Arthur though I did suffer badly with dehydration and sunstroke. A day or two later I did a short ride to some blow hole, it was far too hot, 45 deg C, I went into a bar with some motorcyclists whom had seen me earlier and we drank beer, the sweat then started pouring out of me.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 31 March, 2008, 12:05:54 pm »
We have a large number of tents between us, and spare stoves too.  In fact, come round for dinner some time and we can probably kit you out with some stuff...   :)
Getting there...