Author Topic: Tents & stoves for cycle touring  (Read 19937 times)

Re: Tents & stoves for cycle touring
« Reply #75 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:23:17 pm »
One of the advantages of touring by motorcycle (some might say the only advantage) is that a larger tent can be carried.  I bow to your experience of cycle/walking tenting.

« Reply #76 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:01:37 pm »
Security for bikes parked up in campsites can be a problem. I've seen one guy who had two ground stakes like these: http://www.beachkite.com/185-details.html wound in close together at an angle.
The D-lock went through the top eyes and then onto the bike. It would be impossible to pull the stakes out and impossible to get the bike untangled without cutting through the stakes or the lock.
A single one wouldn't take up much room, would do most of the job. The disadvantage being that you could "unwind" it by turning the bike round and round...but there would be easier things to steal.

« Reply #77 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:10:59 pm »
Ooh, I rather like that twisty stake thing.  I shall look into it, thanks!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #78 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:15:55 pm »

You can often get them at petshops.
Getting there...

bikenerd

« Reply #79 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:16:33 pm »
You don't need one, a tent peg will suffice!  If you have a cable lock designed for a padlock then lock your bike to your tent by wrapping the cable around the bike and then spearing the end with a tent peg that is also being used to hold your tent up.  Then, if a thief tries to steal your bike in the middle of the night, your tent will start to collapse and you can rush outside in time to apprehend them.  With your pump.

« Reply #80 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:41:09 pm »

Also useful for those stubborn Australian corks...  ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark