Author Topic: winter jacket reccommendations  (Read 1580 times)

winter jacket reccommendations
« on: 30 November, 2010, 05:56:15 am »
ive started this again as the original thread dissapeared

so far we had

a couple of thumbs ups for the Endura Stealth

one recomendation for the Endura windchill

thumbs ups for Campag txn jackets  and one for Assos

please feel free to post again if I missed your recomendation, or you eant to post your thoughts again (which would be great)

i am looking for a new winter jacket, something not too expensive but reasonably breathable, windproof and dhowerproof ( not too bothered by ultimater waterproofing as have a waterproof rain cape already

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: winter jacket reccommendations
« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2010, 06:18:39 am »
Please also see Which Winter Jacket
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2010, 06:36:06 am »
For when it gets really cold my Foska jacket has been brilliant. The designs may be a bit much for some though...

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:23:21 am »
For when it gets really cold my Foska jacket has been brilliant. The designs may be a bit much for some though...

But some of the Foska winter jackets are now selling for £35 !!!  Huge bargain IMHO.

« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2010, 09:55:51 am »
(Reposting this FWIW  :) ) I use an Endura Gridlock with a light fleece underneath (when very cold)...    | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com  No hood BTW.
I bought mine for £45.  Great jacket, though I'm not a hardened winter commuter,  but it's survived two 2010 'offs' without so much as a rip.

RE breathability...

I'm not sure how 'breathable' any material is really, if one's really pumping out heat... but probably the EG is not as breathable as a GoreTex jacket (not sure really). It's reasonably 'heavy', but it's got decent underarm zip vents, as well as a vent on high back, and IMO if you got layers the main front zip down a bit helps a lot, if needed.

Interestingly, if you look at the Endura website the Gridlock is quoted as having a breathability of 10000g (/m2/24hrs*) and the Endura Stealth at 5000g - which suggests the Gridlock is able to get rid of 2x moisture than that of the Stealth... How does that work for a jacket, that's 1/3 the price of the Stealth.  

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=122&prod_id=128
http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=123&prod_id=141

* I assume.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #6 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:11:09 am »
I'm guessing the Stealth command a higher price because it's a "softshell" - but they are never as breathable as one woould think

« Reply #7 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:25:34 am »
Please also see Which Winter Jacket and Jacket; the Holy Grail

Tewdric's recommendation in reply #1 of the latter thread changed my life for the better. I love my Hilltrek  :)

« Reply #8 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:36:26 am »
Not cycling specific but I've found Paramo jackets ideal for the winter months. In my opinion much more comfortable than the laminated waterproofs like Goretex.