Author Topic: 3/4 or ankle length baggies  (Read 4631 times)

3/4 or ankle length baggies
« on: 04 April, 2008, 04:16:22 pm »
I saw a courier type person in Leeds yesterday and he was riding a cool old 531 Raleigh fixed. He was wearing some kind of trousers that were baggy but showed his socks and ankles, kinda cut to clear his chainring. What might they have been ? He also wore a trad casquette like wot I do.

I'll not get any of course, I am a roadie not a courier.

Re: 3/4 or ankle length baggies
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2008, 04:27:34 pm »
Rapha fixed shorts?
swrve shorts?

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2008, 04:28:28 pm »
humvee shorts?

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2008, 04:29:15 pm »
That sort of length but not as close cut as those Raphas and not as stupid looking either.

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2008, 04:30:10 pm »
Yes very much like Humvee shorts

« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2008, 05:48:10 pm »
Oh, they look good - a closer fit than the Humvee.  I might have to get some of those!

(Humvees always make me look like a nu-metal drummer)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2008, 06:59:55 pm »
"XXL = waist 36-38"  Whoe are they kidding?
If I had a waist ( I don't me neck goes all the way down!) it would be a 42" and I have xxl stuff that fits.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Dave

« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2008, 07:09:28 pm »
I'd recommend these:

http://www.chromebags.com/products/apparel/show/44/

They are superbly well made (easily the equal of the Raphas); very, very comfortable (especially compared to the Enduras); just stretchy enough and have the Chrome logo embroidered on the bottom.

Lovely.

(And, with the $:£ rate, surprisingly affordable.)

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:24:30 pm »
You should do, they rock :) I got mine about this time year and wore them most days over the summer, whether biking or not. They were great for commuting all winter too, I only needed leg warmers under them if it got under about 5 degrees. They're quite thick so possibly not great for long rides in hot weather, but they're definitely worth getting.

Oh, they look good - a closer fit than the Humvee.  I might have to get some of those!

(Humvees always make me look like a nu-metal drummer)

bikenerd

« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »
I love my Zymes as well.  The sizing is completely off, btw.  I'm about a 31" waist, so originally bought mediums (30-32").  They were huge so I sent them back and got smalls (28-30).  Even these are quite large, I have to cinch the waist in with the pull tab thingies.
You can also get perfectly decent 3/4 length shorts from Tescos for £14.

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:30:29 pm »
I've got both the Zymes and the Humvees and I think that the Humvees have a better shaped leg, but the waistband on the Zymes (if you get the right shape) is better than the Humvees.  The Zymes are considerably warmer than the Humvees so you might find them a bit hot.

simonali

« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2008, 12:54:21 am »
"XXL = waist 36-38"  Whoe are they kidding?
If I had a waist ( I don't me neck goes all the way down!) it would be a 42" and I have xxl stuff that fits.

CRC reviews all say they come up too big, so might be worth trying?

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #13 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:41:37 am »
Found some in a nice strechy material at Lidl last year that cost next to nowt!
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

bobajobrob

« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:47:25 am »
I love my Zymes as well.  The sizing is completely off, btw.  I'm about a 31" waist, so originally bought mediums (30-32").  They were huge so I sent them back and got smalls (28-30).  Even these are quite large, I have to cinch the waist in with the pull tab thingies.

I've got the medium. I'm a 34" waist and I have to cinch the waist in with the pull tab thingies. I'd say 34-36 for the medium is closer to the mark ;)

ian

« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2008, 02:59:18 pm »
Humvees are fine, but the second pair I bought were a bit shoddily made. Well, the outer short was. First lot went back after the button fell off. Replacement pair had a lot of scratchy stitching on the insides, gave me a nice bloody knee the first time I wore them for a long ride. Had to do some trimming with scissors. I would have sent them back too, but the trek to the PO was outweighed by my natural lethargy.

As an alternative, I get 3/4 length running shorts from Decathlon (should be about a tenner). These are lightweight, stretchy, and quick drying. You can pop them over cycling shorts in summer and tights in winter. They lack the faux urban combat styling of the Humvees, and they're comfy, practical, and cheap(er). Ideal if you're not ready to wave your lycra arse at the world.

« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2008, 03:08:15 pm »
I have more than one pair of moderately priced H&M 3/4 shorts which are more than adequate for a few tens of miles on the bike.

« Reply #17 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:52:29 am »
As an alternative, I get 3/4 length running shorts from Decathlon (should be about a tenner). These are lightweight, stretchy, and quick drying. You can pop them over cycling shorts in summer and tights in winter. They lack the faux urban combat styling of the Humvees, and they're comfy, practical, and cheap(er). Ideal if you're not ready to wave your lycra arse at the world.

I got lycra 3/4 length running tights from Decathlon and full length tights. Neither are any good for cycling.
They are too short at the back and have to be pulled up all the time. You could probably get away with it if you were under about 5'10", but at 6'2" and with long thighs, these didn't work for me.

I have HumVee shorts, they're great on the mountain bike, but don't work for me on the road bike. I guess it's something to do with the different riding position.