Author Topic: TdF (spoilers)  (Read 23931 times)

Re: TdF (spoilers)
« Reply #250 on: 24 July, 2014, 08:23:54 pm »
I am not questioning Nibble's performance tbh. He was my tip before the tour. He is my GC contender in Fantasy tour.

I remember when Wiggins won it two years ago, that Nibbles was constantly making attacks and they would have stuck were it not for the robotic Team Sky reeling him in with their well drilled train that year.

He wasn't riding for Astana then either. He has always been a decent climber since I've been watching and he did win the Giro last year.

He is just looking so good because the closest contenders appear mediocre in comparison.

I've always rated him as a rider, but who knows I may be let down by yet another pro.

« Reply #251 on: 24 July, 2014, 08:34:15 pm »
I think scepticism is probably going to be many people's default position for decades to come.  The difficulty is deciding when something ceases to be sports science and becomes doping.  I would love Nibali's performance to be honest (and it may be) but he is annihilating other supposedly top professionals at will - he's 7 minutes clear - and he's doing it without any visible sign of effort.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #252 on: 24 July, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »
He could at least try to make it look a bit believable, like occasionally grimacing, looking strained or choosing not to go on the attack practically every day. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #253 on: 24 July, 2014, 11:00:38 pm »
With the demise of Froome and Clentador Nibbles is mostly beating no-one of much note.  Valverde looks very second-rate this year.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #254 on: 24 July, 2014, 11:02:04 pm »
unless you count his downhill performance today.

« Reply #255 on: 24 July, 2014, 11:38:02 pm »
Relive the phone incident at your leisure

http://gfycat.com/ImpassionedShamelessCapybara

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #256 on: 25 July, 2014, 12:04:27 am »
Not even a selfie!  Judging by the raised left arm and facial expression only a lungfish could copy, I'd guess she was on the dog to someone back home and SHOUTING "look, look, I'm on the telly!"

She'll be a reality TV star by this time next week.

« Reply #257 on: 25 July, 2014, 07:18:53 am »
With the demise of Froome and Clentador Nibbles is mostly beating no-one of much note.  Valverde looks very second-rate this year.
Valverde has been absolute pants. Quintana wanted to race the tour this year, but i'm led to believe Valverde through a strop about it as he wanted to lead the team. I think Quintana is much better rider.

If Pinot Grigio can improve his descending, which isn't as bad as everyone makes out, he could be challenging in years to come. He is only 24.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #258 on: 25 July, 2014, 07:59:37 am »
Drugs or not, I think this year has been a great year. Ok Nibbles (Froome and Contador would have had a run for their money*) grabbed the lead early, but he continued to attack. Then there is the fight for the two other steps. Great to see so many young riders coming up. Oh and a French person on one of the steps. The green jersey I think needs to be rewritten, it feels not right that you can "win" that in the second week and with that much difference. The polka dot, is still interesting, though some years a bit boring. The white one I enjoy watching.

Young riders like Quintana, Pinot etc coming up, I think the next few years will be great for cycling. Lets hope they are not just "proving" themselves with all the attacks and when they get the big deals they go back to the "old school" ways of controlling the race.

* I so hoped that Quintana would have been in this year
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #259 on: 25 July, 2014, 12:52:45 pm »
I have lost interest in this tour being honest  :(

« Reply #260 on: 25 July, 2014, 01:40:55 pm »
Nibbles will  get a 1 m euro bonus from Astana for winning.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #261 on: 25 July, 2014, 02:11:15 pm »
A different question. If you were a doping cyclist now what would you be using and what would you be doing to avoid detection?

Sorry, catching up at the back!

Try:
 Homoeopathic concentrations of any performance enhancing drug you like
 Hypnosis
 Acup*ncture
 Origami
None of which introduce anything into the body, but could have psycological effect
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #262 on: 25 July, 2014, 02:35:31 pm »
TENS machine to block pain.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #263 on: 25 July, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »
Interpretive dance?

« Reply #264 on: 25 July, 2014, 02:53:20 pm »
A different question. If you were a doping cyclist now what would you be using and what would you be doing to avoid detection?

Under the biological passport regime, unexplained changes in the levels of biological markers are suspicious, so drug taking needs to be little and often ("microdosing"). Also, the chaotic environment and close scrutiny of grand tours (not to mention the no needle policy) make it risky to be injecting regularly during the race.

So I'd be looking into genetic doping. The idea would be to create a population of cells whose genes have been modified to produce extra EPO. The continual production would mean that there would be no suspicious spikes on the biological passport, and the cells would remain hidden from testers inside the body. (This would be most suitable for a young rider who does not have an established passport history. Also the costs and risks are considerable.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #265 on: 26 July, 2014, 08:35:30 pm »
Martin was so much faster than everyone else, he must be doping ::-)

Also, what did AG2R do to upset She Who Must Not Be Named?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #266 on: 26 July, 2014, 08:55:34 pm »
That was a very sarky clap from one of the riders.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #267 on: 26 July, 2014, 09:18:15 pm »
Hamsterskins?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #268 on: 27 July, 2014, 03:49:30 pm »
I just realised that the finish of the time trial was about a 5 minute walk in one direction from where I used to live, and about the same in a different direction from what was my local.

« Reply #269 on: 28 July, 2014, 04:12:47 pm »
That was a very sarky clap from one of the riders.

What's this about?

Anyway, what an enjoyable Tour! Really enjoyed it.

Interesting comments from Sean Kelly here re Sagan's performance:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/sean-kelly-tour-de-france-blog-i-know-exactly-how-sagan-feels/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #270 on: 28 July, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
Visitations on two bikes and one rider clapped slowly at the mechanics who were slow of the mark.